Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #3,631 of 9,526
Anandtech just posted an article showing the Nexus 5 having a THD of 15% in the left channel at max volume. All the more reason for a USB DAC, or not running at max volume.

Although as an owner of the phone it's not so good, it's always nice to get empirical evidence backing up my subjective opinion that it was godawful sound quality.

Note how he observes that the worst distortion is at the highest volume settings. Well, the headphone amp is so quiet and underpowered that you need to max it out or even boost the volume with a custom kernel to achieve normal listening levels! The distortion is unavoidable.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3,632 of 9,526

Although as an owner of the phone it's not so good, it's always nice to get empirical evidence backing up my subjective opinion that it was godawful sound quality.

Note how he observes that the worst distortion is at the highest volume settings. Well, the headphone amp is so quiet and underpowered that you need to max it out or even boost the volume with a custom kernel to achieve normal listening levels! The distortion is unavoidable.

Update 4.4.1 fixes the low sound issue on the speaker, but I'm not sure if it boosted the headphone gain. Either way, it doesn't seem like it would help the THD numbers.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #3,633 of 9,526
Dec 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,635 of 9,526

Yup, the E17+GS3(SGH-i747m)+android 4.1.2 didn't work with stock Samsung music player nor PowerAmp.  UARP did work with that combo.  After the 4.3 update the E17 works with the stock music player & PowerAmp.  My original post is below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3510#post_10013847

Thank you. I'm coming from a stock sammy 4.1.2 rom+custom kernel (I9300-GT)  and still in the mist of deciding between the Fiio E18 and JDS Labs C5D due to compatibility questions. For your E17 to work on your S3, do you by chance need to have Settings > Accessory >  Audio Output Mode (use external speakers when device is docked) checked?

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #3,637 of 9,526

Thank you. I'm coming from a stock sammy 4.1.2 rom+custom kernel (I9300-GT)  and still in the mist of deciding between the Fiio E18 and JDS Labs C5D due to compatibility questions. For your E17 to work on your S3, do you by chance need to have Settings > Accessory >  Audio Output Mode (use external speakers when device is docked) checked?

I'm not sure if it behaves differently on an i9300 since it is technically different hardware (diff CPU and DAC) than the i747m.  The 4.3 update also moved that setting, it's now: Settings> My Device> Accessory> Audio output mode.  And yes that setting needs to be TICKED because when I unticked it, audio came out from the onboard speaker and I had to unplug and replug the E17 to get sound through it again.  Audio output is also limited to 16/44 with native player and PowerAmp.  You need to use UARP to get 24/96 output through USB OTG.  I have no clue whether the E18 will work with a GS3 with 4.3 and I think it would be best to ask in the E18 thread.  From what I recall, Fiio was having compatibility issues with the different Galaxy phones depending on Android version during their development.  They list the GS3 as compatible, but I suspect that testing was done with 4.1.2 and not 4.3 because it was so recently released.  And jumping from 4.1.2 to 4.3 made a previously non-working E17 work for me.  The reverse could also be true for the E18, but I don't have any data confirm or deny that.  Best bet is to check that other thread or email Fiio and JDS Labs directly to confirm before buying.

Just finished updating my Nexus 7 2013 to 4.4.2, no change in behavior from before, updated my previous post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3615#post_10046022

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #3,638 of 9,526
  I'm not sure if it behaves differently on an i9300 since it is technically different hardware (diff CPU and DAC) than the i747m.  The 4.3 update also moved that setting, it's now: Settings> My Device> Accessory> Audio output mode.  And yes that setting needs to be TICKED because when I unticked it, audio came out from the onboard speaker and I had to unplug and replug the E17 to get sound through it again.  Audio output is also limited to 16/44 with native player and PowerAmp.  You need to use UARP to get 24/96 output through USB OTG.  I have no clue whether the E18 will work with a GS3 with 4.3 and I think it would be best to ask in the E18 thread.  From what I recall, Fiio was having compatibility issues with the different Galaxy phones depending on Android version during their development.  They list the GS3 as compatible, but I suspect that testing was done with 4.1.2 and not 4.3 because it was so recently released.  And jumping from 4.1.2 to 4.3 made a previously non-working E17 work for me.  The reverse could also be true for the E18, but I don't have any data confirm or deny that.  Best bet is to check that other thread or email Fiio and JDS Labs directly to confirm before buying.

Just finished updating my Nexus 7 2013 to 4.4.2, no change in behavior from before, updated my previous post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3615#post_10046022

I've asked on their respective threads and also emailed directly to JDS Labs aswell but I haven't had a definite answer to them yet :p 

My bad for asking this but what's an UARP? 

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3,639 of 9,526
  I've asked on their respective threads and also emailed directly to JDS Labs aswell but I haven't had a definite answer to them yet :p 

My bad for asking this but what's an UARP? 

USB Audio Recorder Pro on the Google play store.  The author is eXtream who sometimes posts in this thread.  It's a USB recorder app that happens to play FLACs (no MP3s though) that doesn't use the phone's stock USB audio driver, he wrote his own driver so that's why it works on a lot of devices that USB DACs don't usually work on, assuming the device has proper USB OTG support (so Nexus 4 owners are SOL).  He is in the process of coding a new USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) app that is a proper music player app that uses his special driver.  I believe he said that he was trying to get a beta version out for testing sometime in December.  

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #3,640 of 9,526
  USB Audio Recorder Pro on the Google play store.  The author is eXtream who sometimes posts in this thread.  It's a USB recorder app that happens to play FLACs (no MP3s though) that doesn't use the phone's stock USB audio driver, he wrote his own driver so that's why it works on a lot of devices that USB DACs don't usually work on, assuming the device has proper USB OTG support (so Nexus 4 owners are SOL).  He is in the process of coding a new USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) app that is a proper music player app that uses his special driver.  I believe he said that he was trying to get a beta version out for testing sometime in December.  

I'm using Neutron Music Player by the way and to my understanding is if I want to play any FLAC above 16/44 it has to be played on UARP and output through the USB OTG cable. Thanks, I'll keep a lookout on the app once I have decided which portable amp+dac I'll be getting. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3,641 of 9,526

I have been watching the play store like a hawk for this

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,642 of 9,526

i assume the player would not play mp3 like UARP?

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3,643 of 9,526
  Cool stuff, now playing mp3's in the background (screen switched off) using UAPP.
biggrin.gif

There is likely going to be a public beta to gather as much bug reports as possible before release. I am now trying to get Android's MediaCodec to work for all things other than wav/flac/ogg/mp3, like m4a and whatever your device supports. Probably not so important for HiFi, but anyway.

i assume the player would not play mp3 like UARP?

It will play MP3s and such, which is the whole point of a Player app instead of a recorder app.  More of his replies can be found on page 237 of this thread.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3,644 of 9,526
This is the Schiit. Bifrost Uber. http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM

They state:
  1. USB 2.0, 24/192, Async, Completely Buzzword Compliant
 Have high-res music? No problem. Bifrost offers a full range of inputs: Coaxial and optical SPDIF, as well as USB. Bifrost's USB features a high-speed Gen 2 USB 2.0 interface and asynchronous data transfer to 24/192, including 24/176. No drivers are required for Macs and popular Linux distros like Ubuntu, and Windows drivers are downloadable for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

But I am not sure it supports USB OTG out of an Android phone. Anyone?

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #3,645 of 9,526
This is the Schiit. Bifrost Uber. http://www.amazon.com/Bifrost-Uber-Digital-Analog-Convertor/dp/B00DV38SZM

They state:
  1. USB 2.0, 24/192, Async, Completely Buzzword Compliant
 Have high-res music? No problem. Bifrost offers a full range of inputs: Coaxial and optical SPDIF, as well as USB. Bifrost's USB features a high-speed Gen 2 USB 2.0 interface and asynchronous data transfer to 24/192, including 24/176. No drivers are required for Macs and popular Linux distros like Ubuntu, and Windows drivers are downloadable for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

But I am not sure it supports USB OTG out of an Android phone. Anyone?

It is not Bifrost that must support USB OTG, it's the phone! For the DAC, it makes no difference what the source is. BUT! There is a very high probability that Bifrost would only work with UARP/UAPP, as it is a USB Audio Class 2 device, which is not supported even by phones, natively supporting USB audio out, like S3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back