Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 22, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #3,481 of 9,526
I have a Sprint Galaxy S4 and can also confirm that custom CM ROMs will give me full USB audio support w/o UARP

The reason why some (but not all, maybe that will change?) CM roms have USB Audio is because of a CM dev named Steve Kondik.  He's the one who has made USB Audio with (w/o UARP) on certain CM roms. 

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/+SteveKondik/album/5911749113479600353/5911749113490649778?cbp=qy4e1afhlyqf&sview=27&spath=/app/basic/100275307499530023476/posts&sparm=cbp%3D12o220wi56zzg%26sview%3D27%26spath%3D/app/basic/%252BCyanogenMod/posts%26sparm%3Dcbp%253D7tqevoub7xrj%2526sview%253D25

In this link, he even says he'll be able to get it work with the Nexus 5, but that hasn't been accomplished yet.  Steve Kondik is a Certified Android DAC Head-Fi Hero.  You can also do some google searches for him and USB audio and you'll see, he's the guy at CM working to give us that USB Audio support we crave.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #3,482 of 9,526
Soooooo close now! I use PAC on my HTC One XL and I noticed recently that USB OTG support was back. I tried my FiiO E07k and it sort of worked... It was detected, my volume control became greyed out, but when I played music with PowerAmp my phone rebooted itself.

Now, the 4.3 CM builds for the One XL are damn unstable anyway and I've had hard reboots doing anything from opening Chrome to making a phone call. I'm using a custom kernel which is based on CM one and I was wondering whether it was upstream CM changes or customizations specific to this kernel that had enabled my phone to detect my DAC -- looks like that's my answer!

I'm going to persevere a bit more with it. My PAC build is a week old now so I'll flash the latest nightly, as well as try any other kernels I can.

I was planning to get a Nexus 5 shortly anyway, once the third party development is a bit more mature. That CM devs are confident that USB audio can be made to work is just awesome.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #3,483 of 9,526

The reason why some (but not all, maybe that will change?) CM roms have USB Audio is because of a CM dev named Steve Kondik.  He's the one who has made USB Audio with (w/o UARP) on certain CM roms. 

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/+SteveKondik/album/5911749113479600353/5911749113490649778?cbp=qy4e1afhlyqf&sview=27&spath=/app/basic/100275307499530023476/posts&sparm=cbp%3D12o220wi56zzg%26sview%3D27%26spath%3D/app/basic/%252BCyanogenMod/posts%26sparm%3Dcbp%253D7tqevoub7xrj%2526sview%253D25

In this link, he even says he'll be able to get it work with the Nexus 5, but that hasn't been accomplished yet.  Steve Kondik is a Certified Android DAC Head-Fi Hero.  You can also do some google searches for him and USB audio and you'll see, he's the guy at CM working to give us that USB Audio support we crave.

Thanks for the info.  I've had my heart set on this custom TW ROM for a while.  Wonder if it's possible to port the USB Audio support from CM to TW....

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,485 of 9,526
  Did anyone notice strange playback problems with UARP after one of the recent updates?

The folder playback works very inconsistently, and I cannot identify any pattern or regularity. I. e. I open a folder in Play List tab, select the first file (FLAC is what I usually have), the playback starts, and stops after the first song - I have to tap "next song" etc. Another time I'd do the same - and the entire folder would playback correctly.

Any ideas?

I had a similar problem running the app with 4.2.2 on a T-Mobile Galaxy S4. It would play one song and one song only, then I had to select another. It would not play past one song at a selection. I am not sure if the issue was with the 4.2.2 or the phone, which I had to return for other problems. I now have a Xperia Z and am awaiting a new cable to test that phone with the app. It worked with 4.1.2 but the phone has since updated and I  have since damaged my connection wire.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #3,486 of 9,526
  It has been bugging me that I couldn't find the following information on the internet, so I decided to acquire the info when I found out about the CHARGER Doctor that I found on e-Bay.  I tested using a USB 2.0 hub that was connected to USB OTG to the smartphone and continued plugging more stuff in until the current peaked out.  I found that charging a smartphone put a 0.45A load on the Note II and Note III, so I added more stuff until the measured current stopped increasing.

Galaxy Note II smartphone provides 500mA of current on the USB OTG connection. 

Galaxy Note III smartphone provides 900mA of current on the USB OTG connection.  Also, I confirmed that the stock music player played at 96k per the indicator on the Music Streamer II+ when playing 96k content, so UARP wouldn't be required for high-resolution playback.

HTC One smartphone provides 300mA of current on the USB OTG connection.

For some reason, I tried two different USB 3.0 OTG cables, and neither one initiated a USB 3.0 connection with the Western Digital My Passport external hard drive.  The drive copied at USB 2.0 speeds as confirmed by FX File Manager when performing a file transfer. 

I have an HTC One. Based on your findings, it should run the Audioengine D3 fine?
Specs say 200 mA current draw: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D3-24-Bit-DAC

Only concern I have is that my HTC One doesn't work with my Schiit Modi, which according to their website states only 120 mA current draw. Also, I've tried using the Aqvox USB power supply and it still doesn't work. Maybe it doesn't recognize the external power, or maybe besides power, there are other specifications also needed for OTG to work?

http://schiit.com/products/modi
http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #3,487 of 9,526
Asus HD7 Tablet with latest 4.2.2 Android does not recognize Fio E17.

Verizon Note II with Pacman nightly ROM recognizes the Fio E17 and stops playing through the Note II speaker but the E17 has no headphone output using the stock Apollo music player.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #3,488 of 9,526
I should add that the DAC in the Woo Audio WA7 works with my HTC One and I asked them the current draw and it's rated at 200 mA.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3,489 of 9,526
  I have an HTC One. Based on your findings, it should run the Audioengine D3 fine?
Specs say 200 mA current draw: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D3-24-Bit-DAC

Only concern I have is that my HTC One doesn't work with my Schiit Modi, which according to their website states only 120 mA current draw. Also, I've tried using the Aqvox USB power supply and it still doesn't work. Maybe it doesn't recognize the external power, or maybe besides power, there are other specifications also needed for OTG to work?

http://schiit.com/products/modi
http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Any device that draws less than 300mA should work fine with the HTC One regarding the power requirements.
Besides the power requirements, Android's implementations of kernel-level or OS-level features can affect the compatibility of different USB DACs.
Android 4.1, for example, handles USB audio differently than  Android 4.2 (I do not know the cause, but some DACs might work with Android 4.2 when it won't work with 4.1 on the same phone (also, this could be due to kernel reasons, though)).
Many devices are lacking USB Audio support at the kernel-level such as the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7.  When I loaded CM10.2 on the 2013 Nexus 7, USB Audio support was included in the kernel that came with the ROM.  To enable USB Audio support, the 2012 Nexus 7 had to use a kernel that was modified to include USB Audio, such as some of Morfic's kernels and Timur's kernels.
Unfortunately, Android USB Audio is not straight-forward.  If you have a DAC that won't work with your phone, try flashing CM10.2 or similar ROM for the phone.  Chances are, USB Audio will work with a particular kernel/ROM combination.

Verizon Note II with Pacman nightly ROM recognizes the Fio E17 and stops playing through the Note II speaker but the E17 has no headphone output using the stock Apollo music player.

I can only comment on the Galaxy Note II regarding the E17.  The Note II can fully power the E17. I have found that the E17 works with UARP on the Note II.  If using Android 4.1.2 on the Note II, the E17 will not work.  I think the chances are high that the Note II will work with the E17 if using a different ROM/kernel combination.  I would first try a stock-based 4.3 ROM, then move to CM10.2 if that doesn't work.

I should add that the DAC in the Woo Audio WA7 works with my HTC One and I asked them the current draw and it's rated at 200 mA.

I tested the Fiio E17 with the HTC One.  I found that the current draw was 130mA with USB charging turned off on the E17 and 220mA with USB charging turned on.  The HRT Music Streamer II+ will not work with the HTC One, and it draws 370mA.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #3,492 of 9,526

Verizon Note II with CM10.2 based Pacman nightly ROM recognizes the Fio E17 and stops playing through the Note II speaker but the E17 has no headphone output using the stock Apollo music player.

I can only comment on the Galaxy Note II regarding the E17.  The Note II can fully power the E17. I have found that the E17 works with UARP on the Note II.  If using Android 4.1.2 on the Note II, the E17 will not work.  I think the chances are high that the Note II will work with the E17 if using a different ROM/kernel combination.  I would first try a stock-based 4.3 ROM, then move to CM10.2 if that doesn't work.

The Verizon Note II does work with the Fio E17 using UARP but the Pacman (CM10.2 based) ROM doesn't work without UARP and I had the same result with the nightly CM10.2 ROM. I was really hoping I could find a CM10.2 based ROM that would work with the E17 without using UARP. I'm not a fan of the UARP interface.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #3,493 of 9,526
  Anyone on Kitkat 4.4? I heard that's the only ROM officially supporting USB audio.

I am, and it doesn't. Not yet anyway.

I can also confirm that it doesn't work on 2013 Nexus 7 on Android 4.4 build KRT16S running stock kernel and ROM.  PowerAmp still feeds sound through the onboard speakers.  UARP (1.2.8 trial) does work with my Fiio E17.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,494 of 9,526
  The Verizon Note II does work with the Fio E17 using UARP but the Pacman (CM10.2 based) ROM doesn't work without UARP and I had the same result with the nightly CM10.2 ROM. I was really hoping I could find a CM10.2 based ROM that would work with the E17 without using UARP. I'm not a fan of the UARP interface.

Bummer.  I would try a TW 4.3 ROM before giving up, though.  Also, I suggest trying every compatible kernel that you can just to make sure.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #3,495 of 9,526
When I had Android 4.2 with my HTC One, USB OTG worked seamlessly, plug and play. After upgrading to 4.3, I found it not to work very well anymore, but there was a sure-fire workaround that required me to restart the phone with the phone connected to the DAC. It's a pain, but at least it worked 100% of the time. Also recently noticed that the volume on the phone stopped working for music when using the external DAC with 4.3. It became either 0% or 100% volume. For desktop setups, it never mattered since I used the amp as my volume control. However, I recently ordered the Audioengine D3 USB DAC/amp, and it doesn't have any volume controls, so 100% might be too loud. I found that the app I use, Poweamp, can kinda control the volume through the software preamp function, but it doesn't make nearly as much volume difference compared to the master volume. Hopefully it'll all work out. I guess we're just feeling the pain of Android fragmentation. If what you guys say about 4.4 not working at all with USB OTG DACs, I don't want to upgrade at all. I regret upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3 as is, and wish there was an easy way to rollback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back