Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 6, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #9,061 of 9,526
You have really been helpful and is much appreciated! One last question? Just want to confirm you're not having any issues storing offline Tidal content on micro USD? Thanks again!
I have a 256gb micro SD card that I have about 160gb of Tidal offline stored on. AWESOME! Don't know if I mentioned this before. Seeing as Z3 USB audio on 4.4.4 is bit perfect, that means phone volume is locked at full, so whatever Dac you you, you need to be able to access its volume control. BTW another great thing about the Z3, it has a magnetic charging port, so if you buy a charging cable for it, you can listen via USB and charge your phone still.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #9,062 of 9,526
I have a 256gb micro SD card that I have about 160gb of Tidal offline stored on. AWESOME! Don't know if I mentioned this before. Seeing as Z3 USB audio on 4.4.4 is bit perfect, that means phone volume is locked at full, so whatever Dac you you, you need to be able to access its volume control. BTW another great thing about the Z3, it has a magnetic charging port, so if you buy a charging cable for it, you can listen via USB and charge your phone still.

The Z3 that was listed on eBay was advertised as having 4.4.4 but the seller just got back to me and verified it's actually 6.0. That's really a bummer! The Z3 that I bought on eBay last week was advertised as 4.4.4 but it's actually 5.0. The auctions may list them as Kit Kat but they're usually upgraded.

All I want is a Z3 running 4.4.4 to pair with my PHA-3 and Z7!

I may have to see if I can find a Z2. According to Sony's support site this will work.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #9,063 of 9,526
The Z3 that was listed on eBay was advertised as having 4.4.4 but the seller just got back to me and verified it's actually 6.0. That's really a bummer! The Z3 that I bought on eBay last week was advertised as 4.4.4 but it's actually 5.0. The auctions may list them as Kit Kat but they're usually upgraded.

I may have to see if I can find a Z2. According to Sony's support site this will work.

It is possible to downgrade the firmware from 6.0 to 4.4.4, it looks like it takes a bit of work but is doable. The vast majority of handsets that are available will have been updated to the latest version, only those who want the USB audio capabilities will have kept them at 4.4.4 and they probably won't be letting go of their devices.

Follow the tutorials and you should be fine.

Oct 7, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #9,064 of 9,526

They are going to be upgraded. Using a computer, the Sony drivers and Android studio you can downgrade it. Mine was on Android 5.1 when I received it. I flashed older software using CMD and rooted it. It's what has to be done. Takes time but worth it.

Oct 7, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #9,065 of 9,526
It is possible to downgrade the firmware from 6.0 to 4.4.4, it looks like it takes a bit of work but is doable. The vast majority of handsets that are available will have been updated to the latest version, only those who want the USB audio capabilities will have kept them at 4.4.4 and they probably won't be letting go of their devices.

Follow the tutorials and you should be fine.
Definitely takes a bit of work. I have US T-Mobile version. Can't unlock bootloader, so it took me about 4+ hrs to read up and figure out how to roll back software, and root for added perks.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #9,066 of 9,526
Hello,
sorry for my English.
Having to change the phone and being a hihend music fan.
I'm willing to buy a cell phone with DAC to avoid buying a DAP.
I am very undecided about the models currently equipped with DAC.
I have evaluated these models that currently seem to me the best:
- ZTE Axon 7
- LGQ8

LGQ8 should be the copy of the LGV20 (not sold in italy) or am I wrong?
ZTE I have seen that it can also "modify" but I would not know how to do it ...
You from the top of your experience what do you recommend?
Do you have other models to recommend?
My Budget is 500Euro.
Thank you...

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #9,067 of 9,526
Hello,
sorry for my English.
Having to change the phone and being a hihend music fan.
I'm willing to buy a cell phone with DAC to avoid buying a DAP.
I am very undecided about the models currently equipped with DAC.
I have evaluated these models that currently seem to me the best:
- ZTE Axon 7
- LGQ8

LGQ8 should be the copy of the LGV20 (not sold in italy) or am I wrong?
ZTE I have seen that it can also "modify" but I would not know how to do it ...
You from the top of your experience what do you recommend?
Do you have other models to recommend?
My Budget is 500Euro.
Thank you...
From what I've read, you are correct. Q8 is smaller V20. So for cell phone with built in HiFi, that would be your best bet. V20 is a better audio player than ZTE Axon

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #9,068 of 9,526
I can vouch for the Sony Xperia Z3 series (Z3, Z3 compact and Z3 Tablet Compact) as digital audio sources over USB. They sound very good compared to modern digital transports, especially with the original Sony USB OTG cable (never thought that would make much difference, but it does). For instance, I found them to be almost as good as a state of the art CD player, much better than blu-ray players such as Oppo 103 and 105 from CD, SD, SSD, HDD, better than Oppo 105 + Ethernet, much better than NAS/PC + RPi. Very good CD players still beat them, but not by much, at many times the price... and inconvenience. IMHO the Z3 matches or beats most CD players this side of the exotic ones.

Also, they sound equally good or nearly indistinguishable whether played from internal storage, SD card, or wireless streaming. FLAC vs WAV also sounds almost the same (WAV involves less processing and hence less noise, but a difference is hardly noticeable).

Convenience is unbeaten: they can be placed in the magnetic charging dock and have USB audio out all the time. The Z3 Tablet Compact is the most convenient for that, since the USB out is on low the short side, and the surface is big enough but not too small. They look fabulous in a rig. I am not sure but sound quality seems to be a tiny bit better on the phones vs the tablet, if my ears don't fail me, but they are within 1-2%. For the record, I have Android 6.0.1 on all of them.

Get a (now very cheap) Z3, delete/disable all unnecessary crap, and play back WAV or FLAC from SD cards: I bet you'd be surprised by the quality of this USB audio source. Good enough I'd say.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #9,069 of 9,526
20171006_132311.jpg
I can vouch for the Sony Xperia Z3 series (Z3, Z3 compact and Z3 Tablet Compact) as digital audio sources over USB. They sound very good compared to modern digital transports, especially with the original Sony USB OTG cable (never thought that would make much difference, but it does). For instance, I found them to be almost as good as a state of the art CD player, much better than blu-ray players such as Oppo 103 and 105 from CD, SD, SSD, HDD, better than Oppo 105 + Ethernet, much better than NAS/PC + RPi. Very good CD players still beat them, but not by much, at many times the price... and inconvenience. IMHO the Z3 matches or beats most CD players this side of the exotic ones.

Also, they sound equally good or nearly indistinguishable whether played from internal storage, SD card, or wireless streaming. FLAC vs WAV also sounds almost the same (WAV involves less processing and hence less noise, but a difference is hardly noticeable).

Convenience is unbeaten: they can be placed in the magnetic charging dock and have USB audio out all the time. The Z3 Tablet Compact is the most convenient for that, since the USB out is on low the short side, and the surface is big enough but not too small. They look fabulous in a rig. I am not sure but sound quality seems to be a tiny bit better on the phones vs the tablet, if my ears don't fail me, but they are within 1-2%. For the record, I have Android 6.0.1 on all of them.

Get a (now very cheap) Z3, delete/disable all unnecessary crap, and play back WAV or FLAC from SD cards: I bet you'd be surprised by the quality of this USB audio source. Good enough I'd say.
I was totally with you til you said you had Android 6 on them. Are they rooted? Did you get "HiFi audio via USB" back for bit-perfect playback? That was the whole reason I rolled back to 4.4.4 because Listening bus the Android software processing takes away from the music. On 4.4.4 I don't need UAPP for anything other than using an eq over USB, as no other app eq works over USB on the device.last question. You have a link for the Sony OTG cable you're referring to?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #9,070 of 9,526
AFAIK the Z series phones have Sony specific audio packages even with Android 6 - it was a reason to go with them but I didn't check. Still, my impressions still apply (for me). For a dedicated digital transport you are probably right for rolling back to 4.4.4. but I am still using them as normal devices. IIRC the OTG cables actually came with the devices when I bought them.

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #9,071 of 9,526
AFAIK the Z series phones have Sony specific audio packages even with Android 6 - it was a reason to go with them but I didn't check. Still, my impressions still apply (for me). For a dedicated digital transport you are probably right for rolling back to 4.4.4. but I am still using them as normal devices. IIRC the OTG cables actually came with the devices when I bought them.
AFAIK since Android built ability for USB audio into Android 5.0 and above, Sony removed their own drivers for USB audio. Xperia phones handle USB audio like all other Android devices with the capability. That's why on Android 5.1 my dragonfly was playing back evrything at an upsample 96khz and only sounded marginally better than through headphone jack. Apple does the same thing without the upsampling, and until iOS 11 was limited up to 48khz even over USB. the software processes the audio before it reaches the DAC, which is why you are able to adjust the volume with the volume toggle on your phone or tablet. For some people they don't mind, but after listening via UAPP you learn what you are missing. I needed Tidal offline playback, and am happy I learned about the Z3 and rolling back the software

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #9,072 of 9,526
I tried using my dragonfly via type c on my lg v30 and usb audio pro player but it doesn't seem to function correctly it says it's being used as a power supply. I don't know if it's the cable or phone or app.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #9,074 of 9,526
You can use a split cable (USB power + USB data) and power the external DAC from a mobile power bank. But it's getting less portable. However, the V30 has pretty good DAC inside, doesn't it?
I'm using isine 20s and I feel that the volume is too low. But that's with all headphones i plug in.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #9,075 of 9,526
you need a new cable with the correct pins i guess, had same thing with my s8 and oppo ha2 se where the oppo would be charged by the phone then i bought a newx cable from ebay and all is solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back