Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 3, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #9,091 of 9,526
Thanks for your response.

For one thing, as I understand it USB Host\audio over USB must be enabled on the phone. I haven't been able to determine that this is the case with the Moto G5 Plus.

For another thing, I've read that even if those are enabled it doesn't necessarily mean I would be able to listen to music through streaming app software (i.e., Rhapsody\Napster\Spotify\Tidal). I might need to use a separate media player app (which would not have access to the streaming music).

If you don't mind, why do you say 'As long as it is on an Android version less than 8, it should work.' Is something going to change with Android 8?

Thanks again!

I'm not sure if HiByMusic is updated for Android O. UAPP is however, so actually, you could use the DAC on O.

Streaming app software-wise, I think you need to be at Android M/6 or below. I don't think DAC's play well with 7 and up. You may need to be on 4.4.4 or 5.0 and up. I forget which is the lowest supported Android USB system audio version.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #9,092 of 9,526
So uh, looking for a good little android compatible DAC/Amp with a super small form factor. Would anyone here be able to help out? Something like a Dragonfly or SMSL iDEA is as large as I'll go in terms of size. Budget would probably max out at like 70USD. I'm going to be using these with quite sensitive low impedance IEMs so low noise floor and a sub 1Ω output impedance are a must.
Currently looking at the hifimediy Android DAC simply because form factor. Would the iDEA be a better option? I've heard of issues with it with some buzzing or something. The physical buttons are quite enticing though. Other options would also be nice.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #9,093 of 9,526
There is a Geek Out 450 in the FS section that fits your budget.

Nov 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #9,094 of 9,526
So uh, looking for a good little android compatible DAC/Amp with a super small form factor. Would anyone here be able to help out? Something like a Dragonfly or SMSL iDEA is as large as I'll go in terms of size. Budget would probably max out at like 70USD.
Currently looking at the hifimediy Android DAC simply because form factor. Would the iDEA be a better option? I've heard of issues with it with some buzzing or something. The physical buttons are quite enticing though. Other options would also be nice.
Fiio K1 should fit your size requirements.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #9,096 of 9,526
A couple things I forgot to mention, is that I'm going to be using these with quite sensitive low impedance IEMs. Low noise floor and a sub 1Ω output impedance are a must. I'll add it to the original post too.

There is a Geek Out 450 in the FS section that fits your budget.
Form factor is too big. I've currently got a Geekout 1000 which I'm in the process of modding at the moment anyway. Not sure how hot the 450 gets, but the 1000 gets to uncomfortable levels in use.

Fiio K1 should fit your size requirements.
Not too trustworthy of Fiio to be honest. I've had an E10k which was really quite warm and hazy, and I've currently got an E18 which I'm currently trying to sell. The SNR only being 100dBA is a bit low too.

Zorloo zuperdac in 79 usd
4.7Ω Output impedance. No good I'm afraid.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #9,097 of 9,526
I was
A couple things I forgot to mention, is that I'm going to be using these with quite sensitive low impedance IEMs. Low noise floor and a sub 1Ω output impedance are a must. I'll add it to the original post too.

Form factor is too big. I've currently got a Geekout 1000 which I'm in the process of modding at the moment anyway. Not sure how hot the 450 gets, but the 1000 gets to uncomfortable levels in use.

Not too trustworthy of Fiio to be honest. I've had an E10k which was really quite warm and hazy, and I've currently got an E18 which I'm currently trying to sell. The SNR only being 100dBA is a bit low too.

4.7Ω Output impedance. No good I'm afraid.
I was Looking into hifime and cant find output impedance. Can you link me up?

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #9,099 of 9,526
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #9,100 of 9,526
I Checked with Zorloo for the rationale behind high imp and here is the reply:

"The impedance is mainly due to the external resistor for short circuit protection".

Meanwhile I got to know that they are developing a new zuperdac with smaller size (40% smaller) and less impedance (<2 Ohms) with same internals

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #9,101 of 9,526
I Checked with Zorloo for the rationale behind high imp and here is the reply:

"The impedance is mainly due to the external resistor for short circuit protection".

Meanwhile I got to know that they are developing a new zuperdac with smaller size (40% smaller) and less impedance (<2 Ohms) with same internals

That's good. If they release it for a similar price and low enough impedance, it might become an option for me again.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #9,103 of 9,526
Try running USB Host Check and using the "Fix" option (requires root). Helped on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo.

What root kit did you use? I have the same phone (S5 Neo) and getting no sound from my dragonfly through my OTG cable. The device recognises something has been plugged in, the dragonfly lights up, and it stops playing music from the internal speaker. But no sound through the headphones. I tried the USB host check, says that android.hardware.usb.host.xml is ok, the other two options have red Xs.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #9,104 of 9,526
If anyone is interested, the new Pixel 2 USB-C to 3.5 headphone dongle measures pretty impressively for how cheap it is.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/how-to/pixel-usb-c-audio-measurements-t3691535
Super low output impedance with decent power in that form seems quite attractive, especially for how cheap it is. The issue seems to be the gain being too high though. If rooted or using UAPP it shouldn't be a significant issue though to my understanding. Going to get one myself and test out. Hopefully is good.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #9,105 of 9,526
What root kit did you use? I have the same phone (S5 Neo) and getting no sound from my dragonfly through my OTG cable. The device recognises something has been plugged in, the dragonfly lights up, and it stops playing music from the internal speaker. But no sound through the headphones. I tried the USB host check, says that android.hardware.usb.host.xml is ok, the other two options have red Xs.

It's been a while since I used my Dragonfly, but doesn't it have some software controlled volume setting? I vaguely remember having a similar issue after using my Dragonfly on a computer, and after that, no sound when using it on my phone. Had to connect it on the computer again, change the volume there and after that it was ok again on my phone. But I'm not really sure, it was a long time ago, have hardly touched my Dragonfly (v1.2) since I got my AK70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back