Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 13, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #8,746 of 9,526
Hmm... I have am older HTC M8 that I replaced with an HTC10. I actually like the sound of the 10 without a dac, but I'm sure the M8 with an external dac would sound better. I always found the M8 difficult to get to connect to a dac, though. Maybe rooted?

Hi,

I have a HTC One M8 and I have no trouble using the Cozoy Astrapi DAC either with UAPP or with any other programme. Hope this helps.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #8,747 of 9,526
  Hi,

I have a HTC One M8 and I have no trouble using the Cozoy Astrapi DAC either with UAPP or with any other programme. Hope this helps.

Sorry, first ever post and did not realise I needed to 'quote' to reply to a specific comment. Have done this on the next post.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #8,748 of 9,526
I can highly recommend a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. SD slot that will take 200GB (formatted FAT32), and most importantly, if you "downgrade" to Android 4.4.4 you can use the Sony USB driver that avoids the Android audio system upconverting everything to 192KHz with a USB DAC.
It happily runs UAPP, Tidal, iPlayer, Onkyo HF etc.
I use it with a Mojo and it makes an awesome portable setup.
I've also removed/frozen everything I don't need by way of apps - even so far as the phone app - to speed up boot time (30s) and increase battery life.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #8,749 of 9,526

Hi,

Sorry, first ever post and did not realise I needed to 'quote' to reply to a specific comment. Have done this on the next post.

Thanks, I already have a Geek out 1000, A geek out SE, the CEntrance HiFi M8 (big error, didn't realize I'd need optical to use it) and the Denon DA-10. If I were to get yet another amp/dac,I'd consider the Mojo, but I'm pretty much amp/dac'ed out! I didn't find connecting to the HTC easy. The HTC10 does connect to the Denon, but I find it sounds good enough on its own to use alone or via Bluetooth.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #8,750 of 9,526
Thanks, I already have a Geek out 1000, A geek out SE, the CEntrance HiFi M8 (big error, didn't realize I'd need optical to use it) and the Denon DA-10. If I were to get yet another amp/dac,I'd consider the Mojo, but I'm pretty much amp/dac'ed out! I didn't find connecting to the HTC easy. The HTC10 does connect to the Denon, but I find it sounds good enough on its own to use alone or via Bluetooth.

Nice DACS, see what you mean! On another note- how much more improved is the HTC 10 over the M8 using them alone?

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #8,751 of 9,526

Nice DACS, see what you mean! On another note- how much more improved is the HTC 10 over the M8 using them alone?

To be honest, I do most of my portable music listening (to albums, downloaded music, ripped music, etc) through a Pono. I mostly use the phone for internet radio (WFMU, my pick for the World's Greatest Radio Station...Happy World Radio Day, by the way...), occasionally stream through TIDAL with it, and I haven't sat and done the geeky back and forth A-B comparison stuff with them. It's more a gut thing, didn't like listening through M8 as much, felt the need to connect it to a DAC (but didn't succeed), enjoy listening through the HTC10, less nasties, more enjoyable, still use my Pono when I want to have better sounding portable music (but haven't done the A-B thing either; grab it when there isn't a show I really want to stream on. Balanced Pono, with the Pono being available for about $200 on sale at times, is just really nice sounding). So, there you have it.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #8,752 of 9,526
To be honest, I do most of my portable music listening (to albums, downloaded music, ripped music, etc) through a Pono. I mostly use the phone for internet radio (WFMU, my pick for the World's Greatest Radio Station...Happy World Radio Day, by the way...), occasionally stream through TIDAL with it, and I haven't sat and done the geeky back and forth A-B comparison stuff with them. It's more a gut thing, didn't like listening through M8 as much, felt the need to connect it to a DAC (but didn't succeed), enjoy listening through the HTC10, less nasties, more enjoyable, still use my Pono when I want to have better sounding portable music (but haven't done the A-B thing either; grab it when there isn't a show I really want to stream on. Balanced Pono, with the Pono being available for about $200 on sale at times, is just really nice sounding). So, there you have it.

Thanks for sharing your thing. I am quite new to this . Have always loved music and now I take time to sit down and listen to it. I bought the  Astrapi to go with my M8 and my Shure 315 IEMs. Sounded great but articles on hear on over ear cans caught my attention so I bought some Over Ear Senheisser Momentum 2s and was blown away. I could not believe that the Dac and the Momentums could make such a difference over what I was originally getting from the M8 and the Shures. Been listening to all my old music on Tidal HiFi and marvelling at details and notes I had never realised were there! Now I am hooked and want to try more options.  I want to get a pair of open backed cans like the Beyerdynamic DT990s and try the Dragonfly red DAC.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #8,753 of 9,526

Thanks for sharing your thing. I am quite new to this . Have always loved music and now I take time to sit down and listen to it. I bought the  Astrapi to go with my M8 and my Shure 315 IEMs. Sounded great but articles on hear on over ear cans caught my attention so I bought some Over Ear Senheisser Momentum 2s and was blown away. I could not believe that the Dac and the Momentums could make such a difference over what I was originally getting from the M8 and the Shures. Been listening to all my old music on Tidal HiFi and marvelling at details and notes I had never realised were there! Now I am hooked and want to try more options.  I want to get a pair of open backed cans like the Beyerdynamic DT990s and try the Dragonfly red DAC.

As folks here like to say, "Welcome to Head-Fi...sorry about your wallet".
I like the Momentum as well (have a pair, my wife "liberated" them, uses them for dog walks, hands free phone use. Hard to say much, she tolerates my lunacy...). As you will no doubt find out, there is lots of good stuff out there, and there's always something that could be better, but going from good to better is generally a significant increase in cash. Have fun!

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #8,756 of 9,526
  Any right angled USB-C (Male) to right angled micro-usb(male) cable recommendation? Reputed brand preferably. 

Forza Audioworks makes right-angles micro-USB cables. Dunno if the USB-C plug is angled too but it won't hurt to ask.

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #8,757 of 9,526
+1 For Forza Audioworks. I have a hybrid Claire on my HD600. It's top quality and beautiful!

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #8,758 of 9,526
Feb 15, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #8,759 of 9,526
bzxfire40
I ran my S6 Active with the Dragonfly Red while on a wireless charging pad for an hour with no issues. The phone was warm, but not more warm than when just charging normally.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #8,760 of 9,526
Anyone know what the cheapest portable DAC / Amp that has balanced output and low impedance (<0.5 ohm) is?

The RAL-KEB03 is around 5 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back