Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 18, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #8,776 of 9,526
I received my Galaxy S3, but it's not recognizing my DragonFly Red. I'm not sure if it's a battery or usb issue. Any ideas?
The DFR doesn't light up with the S3...

Download the free USB Host Check app from Google Play and run it to check for USB compatibility. Also check if it works with UAPP/HibyMusic

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #8,778 of 9,526
The DFR doesn't work with UAPP. The usb didn't recognize the DFR. Can i get the Galaxy S3 to work or will i have to pick between the two?

You may be able to get a custom ROM that allows you use USB audio devices. I seem to recall that there was a specific order in which you had to connect USB devices and power up the S3 in order to get them to work properly as USB OTG wasn't officially supported.

I suggest a search around the XDA-developers site for the answer to this one.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #8,779 of 9,526
I received my Galaxy S3, but it's not recognizing my DragonFly Red. I'm not sure if it's a battery or usb issue. Any ideas?
The DFR doesn't light up with the S3...

Same here, my s3 is not recognising my opus#11 as well. USB debugging on also no use

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #8,780 of 9,526
How about using the powered hub trick?

Connect your peripherals on a powered hub. Connect powered hub thru your OTG cable to phone.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #8,781 of 9,526
The DFR doesn't work with UAPP. The usb didn't recognize the DFR. Can i get the Galaxy S3 to work or will i have to pick between the two?

That's weird, DFR is listed as compatible on UAPP webpage. Are You sure the USB OTG cable You're using actually works?

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #8,782 of 9,526
My AT&T Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) running CyanogenMod 13.0 connects and lights up magenta but won't natively play through the DFR. UAPP works perfectly though.

I have a Freedompop Galaxy S3 (SPH-L710) coming soon so I can test the stock ROM.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #8,783 of 9,526
Yes, probably OTG cable problem. S3 have geat compatibility w/ lots of DAC/amps. It's the S4 which have issues.

Feb 19, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #8,784 of 9,526
How about using the powered hub trick?

Connect your peripherals on a powered hub. Connect powered hub thru your OTG cable to phone.

That's weird, DFR is listed as compatible on UAPP webpage. Are You sure the USB OTG cable You're using actually works?

That must be the problem. The DFR doesn't draw enough power from the S3.

I don't want to carry a USB hub around, which is why I went with the DFR - for portability.

I was able to connect it directly to my LG V10, but that has a bigger battery.

Well, now I know.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #8,785 of 9,526
You can get an OTG cable with a tail for power input, you could use this with a small USB battery stick to provide power. Still not an ideal portable setup but more portable than having a full-blown USB hub.

At some point  (I think it was Android 4.4) Samsung managed to break the USB audio support on some variants of the S3.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #8,786 of 9,526
I was able to test that a Galaxy S5 can power a DFR.

Is anyone here using a Galaxy S4 for the same?

It's a shame, because the S3 is so small, it was a great fit from a stackability perspective. I'm sure the S3 does fine with other DACs that have their own batteries.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #8,788 of 9,526
I have the iDSD BL and it's running great on S5 (UAPP only). Before You go out and buy a new dac, have You tried rooting the phone? USB Host Check app has an option of automatically fixing software-related usb audio problems but it requires root access.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #8,789 of 9,526
I have the iDSD BL and it's running great on S5 (UAPP only). Before You go out and buy a new dac, have You tried rooting the phone? USB Host Check app has an option of automatically fixing software-related usb audio problems but it requires root access.

Unfortunately, my laptop died, and I'm using a work laptop. As a result, I'm unable to download the files I need to root the device.

Do you know of a way to root it without a PC? I would also root my LG V10.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #8,790 of 9,526
Unfortunately, my laptop died, and I'm using a work laptop. As a result, I'm unable to download the files I need to root the device.

Do you know of a way to root it without a PC? I would also root my LG V10.

You should try towel root.

https://towelrootapk.net/root-samsung-galaxy-s3-s4-s5-s6-towelroot-v3-v4-apk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back