Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #6,556 of 9,526
  although i am rooted but this viper4android does not work for me when i connect my ifi dsd dac/amp, i am using android 4.4 on sony xperia z ultra

i dont know why as i wanted it really to work 

Maybe this can help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/3405#post_11489963

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #6,557 of 9,526
  First of all it's not "transcoding" it's resampling, transcoding would be  say DSD to PCM which would be far more taxing, but would be a piece of cake for the Z3 still. Second of all at least with Android  4.4.4 it is correctly output sampling at 44.1,48, and 96khz without any re- sampling. It seems it simply don't support 88.2khz  so that would be the only case it might re-sample things to it's max sample rate. Also under Android 4.4.4 there is a "USB digital out" setting in the "audio" menu of Android, but it is accessible from the Walkman app itself, it's simply a toggle to enable it, and it's not set to on by default, so you must have seen it. I'm not sure if it's still there with the Lollipop update though, my Z3 is still on 4.4.4. Anyway I wouldn't worry about the re-sampling too much, but if you do I'm sure some tools out there that can help you do resampling those files on your computer creating new files, or don't use the Walkman app in those case. The Z3 is a fine  digital media player in my book, and it certainly does things right far more than it's doing things wrong. YMMV [BTW I use the HRT microstreamer which has corresponding lights to sampling rates.] 

Of course, you are right, I did mean resampling ....
The "USB digital out" setting does not seem to be available in Lollipop anymore. The Dragonfly DAC gets detected automatically and audio is routed through it, when it is connected.
Interesting and somewhat strange that with 4.4.4 the walkman app keeps the source samplerate (except 88.2), but in Lollipop it resamples everything to 96kHz. Also output from the Qobuz app gets resampled from 44.1 to 96.
USB Audio Player Pro keeps the sampling rates (incl. 88.2)

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,558 of 9,526
  Of course, you are right, I did mean resampling ....
The "USB digital out" setting does not seem to be available in Lollipop anymore. The Dragonfly DAC gets detected automatically and audio is routed through it, when it is connected.
Interesting and somewhat strange that with 4.4.4 the walkman app keeps the source samplerate (except 88.2), but in Lollipop it resamples everything to 96kHz. Also output from the Qobuz app gets resampled from 44.1 to 96.
USB Audio Player Pro keeps the sampling rates (incl. 88.2)

Just to be precise I don't have any files with 88.2khz so I can't say for sure that it won't support it with Kit Kat, also I have a Z3 I think you have the compact version right? There are differences in hardware but Sony claims identical features. As for the Walkman app, maybe Sony will do a fine tune down the road to avoid unnecessary re-sampling, but with their new HR crusade it is might be what they wanted all along.?
Right now I'm pretty sure I won't update my phone, as it is "perfect"  and I don't care for the "material design" either. YMMV.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #6,559 of 9,526
  I read in this thread that some of you use powered hubs and I'd like to get som input from you.
Looking for a powered USB hub that I can use with LG G3 or Samsung Galaxy S Tab together with my ifi micro iDSD (has built-in battery). I'd like to power the iDSD at the same time using my android devices. I googled and found hubs that  have OTG input and I was wondering if audio is supported by the USB hubs. If the hub also supports PC audio, great!
E.g: http://www.unitek-products.com/en/product_detail.php?id=305

Any hub suggestions would be appreciated!

"Unique OTG port allows Smartphone and tablets to act as a host for other USB2.0 or USB3.0 devices like a USB flash drive, digital camera, mouse or keyboard"

I am confused about the so-called OTG port of this hub:
What is the difference between the OTG port of this hub and an upstream port of a normal regular USB hub?

Regular USB hub:

. PC acting as USB Host >> standard A plug to upstream port's plug regular USB cable (provided by the USB hub maker) >> regular/standard USB hub >> USB Peripheral like USB DAC

. Android device acting as USB Host >> micro USB OTG plug to standard A receptacle USB adapter cable + standard A plug to upstream port's plug regular USB cable (provided by the USB hub maker) >> regular/standard USB hub >> USB Peripheral like USB DAC

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/4710#post_10544580

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #6,560 of 9,526
  I'm planning to get a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 tablet to use as a car media center.
I know we can charge the tablet and connect a USB DAC at the same time.
But does anyone know if an OTG hub can be used to do the two aforementioned things AND connect a USB hard drive or USB video camera?

. Lava STS-3U SimulCharge 3-port USB hub:
http://lavalink.com/sts-3u/

"The LAVA STS-3U Hub for Galaxy Tab, provides three USB-ports, and the ability to use the tablet in USB OTG/Host mode while being powered."

Galaxy Tab S 8.4 >> Lava STS-3U SimulCharge 3-port USB hub powered by a 5V power supply >> USB DAC
                                                                                                                                          >> USB hard drive
                                                                                                                                          >> USB video camera

. Lava TL-002 SimulCharge 1-port USB hub / OTG Host-Charge adapter:
http://lavalink.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-usb-adapters-hubs-poe-hubs-2/usb-otg-host-charge-adapter-tab4-tabpro/

compatible Samsung's Android device >> Lava TL-002 SimulCharge adapter powered by a 5V power supply >> USB DAC

"This intelligent adapter makes it possible to simultaneously operate your Samsung Galaxy Tab 4/Tab S in host mode and to charge it at the same time, a functionality not supported by standard USB host mode (USB OTG mode) adapters.
This adapter is designed for robust operation, with more advanced Accessory Charging Adapter (ACA) mode switching, and more stable tablet charging characteristics."

. Lava TL-002 / Lava STS-3U = USB Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA) with Samsung proprietary / non-standard ACA resistor values
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/405#post_8748466
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2595#post_9601384
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2625#post_9614980

OTG Portable Device = OTG Android device, ...
Accessory = USB peripheral = USB DAC, ...
CDP / DCP = charger = battery-powered USB charger, AC-powered USB charger, ...

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #6,561 of 9,526

"Unique OTG port allows Smartphone and tablets to act as a host for other USB2.0 or USB3.0 devices like a USB flash drive, digital camera, mouse or keyboard"

I am confused about the so-called OTG port of this hub:
What is the difference between the OTG port of this hub and an upstream port of a normal regular USB hub?

That port should be unique for connecting Android devices as mentioned below

A similar product from Unitek with further explanation

SimulCharge USB seemed to be quite useful, let's see if there were anything similar from China in the future.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #6,562 of 9,526

. Lava STS-3U SimulCharge 3-port USB hub:
http://lavalink.com/sts-3u/

"The LAVA STS-3U Hub for Galaxy Tab, provides three USB-ports, and the ability to use the tablet in USB OTG/Host mode while being powered."

Lava TL-002 SimulCharge 1-port USB hub / OTG Host-Charge adapter:
http://lavalink.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-usb-adapters-hubs-poe-hubs-2/usb-otg-host-charge-adapter-tab4-tabpro/

I see that Lava makes the PL-002 one part USB hub/OTG Host adapter for Samsung phones. I also see that Samsung phones are not listed as compatible with the LAVA STS-3U Hub. I know this is probably a foolish question, but does anyone know that the STS-3U will definitely not work with a Samsung Galaxy S4? Does anyone know why the STS-3U and TL-002 do not work with Samsung phones? 

thanks!

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #6,564 of 9,526
  You don't need to reformat it. There's software available that converts file systems without formatting or deleting.

Thanks for the info. I found software that converts NTFS to FAT32, (Aomei Partition Assistant contains a converter (http://www.aomeitech.com/n2f/download.html)), but nothing that converts to exFAT. So I converted to exFAT and everything works.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,565 of 9,526
  I see that Lava makes the PL-002 one part USB hub/OTG Host adapter for Samsung phones. I also see that Samsung phones are not listed as compatible with the LAVA STS-3U Hub. I know this is probably a foolish question, but does anyone know that the STS-3U will definitely not work with a Samsung Galaxy S4? Does anyone know why the STS-3U and TL-002 do not work with Samsung phones? 

thanks!

If it is true, the ACA R resistor values of Samsung tablets and of Samsung phones are probably not the same.

You should ask the Lava people for precision.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #6,566 of 9,526
neither noozoxide nor viper4android work with my rooted z ultra rom 4.4.4 connected to my ifi z ultra when i use onkyo or usb app player

i dont know why

although i tried compatibilty mode in viper4android and also in noozxide i chose it in sound effect and it does not work 

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6,567 of 9,526
Nice find there DanBa! The Shield Tablet I have had simultaneous charging and OTG enabled by an official firmware update a while back - very useful feature. Something that allows for that easily on other Android devices definitely gets my attention.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #6,568 of 9,526
Just got the Cozoy Astrapi and it works natively on my S4 running stock TouchWiz 4.2.2 ROM without the use of UAPP/Onkyo. Viper4Android doesn't work properly; only the speaker tab affects the sound while the USB/Dock tab does nothing. The speaker settings have a negative effect of the sound so I'm using it with Viper4Android off which is a shame because I really did enjoy some of the headphone settings.

Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505>>supplied OTG Micro USB B to Micro USB B Cable>>Cozoy Astrapi>>HifiMan HE-500

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #6,569 of 9,526
Just upgraded my T-mobile note 3 to stock android 5.0

My ifi idsd micro played mostly fine over usb using the stock player on android 4.4 prior to upgrade.

Now getting either:
choppy, superfast playback
or (when it plays ok) constant clicking and popping noises

Stopping/starting the music or turning the idsd micro off/on cures the fast playback issue but the clicks n pops are still there.

I've tried the stock music player and Jet Audio Plus
tried rebooting the note 3
also tried 2 different usb otg cables

The idsd sometimes shows a blue light like its charging but the light is yellow during playback.

I searched this thread but couldn't find a similar issue posted.
Any ideas?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #6,570 of 9,526
Just upgraded my T-mobile note 3 to stock android 5.0

My ifi idsd micro played mostly fine over usb using the stock player on android 4.4 prior to upgrade.

Now getting either:
choppy, superfast playback
or (when it plays ok) constant clicking and popping noises

Stopping/starting the music or turning the idsd micro off/on cures the fast playback issue but the clicks n pops are still there.

I've tried the stock music player and Jet Audio Plus
tried rebooting the note 3
also tried 2 different usb otg cables

The idsd sometimes shows a blue light like its charging but the light is yellow during playback.

I searched this thread but couldn't find a similar issue posted.
Any ideas?

Several people reported similar on various handsets after their Lollipop update, not all Samsung devices either. Seems to be a Lollipop thing. UAPP should still work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back