Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #5,641 of 9,526

"Rome wasn't built in a day".
While offering best sounding, there are a lot of UARP/UAPP improvements over time: recorder-oriented development to playback-oriented development, shuffle playback mode, SMB/Samba network streaming capability, DSD over PCM (DoP), ....

Nope.
I think you should alert eXtream Software Development of this feature requirement by posting on the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704065/usb-audio-recorder-pro-uapp-24-and-32-bit-playback-ubiquitous-usb-audio-support-for-android

Thanks DanBa, I have done as you suggested.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #5,642 of 9,526
Android - USB Digital Audio
http://source.android.com/devices/audio_usb.html

Android USB modes
. Host mode
[Android device as USB host >> USB OTG cable >> standard USB DAC as USB peripheral]

"As the Android device must act as host, and most Android devices include a micro-USB connector that does not directly permit host operation, an On-The-Go (OTG) adapter such as this is usually required:"

[A special micro USB plug, i.e. micro USB OTG plug, with "pin 4/ID connected to pin 5/Ground" (or "ID pin grounded"), when inserted into a micro USB receptacle of a USB OTG-featured Android device, will switch this Android device to USB host mode, able to interwork with a USB peripheral device like a standard USB DAC.]

"An Android device might not provide sufficient power to operate a particular peripheral, depending on how much power the peripheral needs, and how much the Android device is capable of supplying. Even if adequate power is available, the Android device battery charge may be significantly shortened. For these situations, use a powered hub such as this:"

[500 mA is a maximum current load required by a standard USB DAC. The latest flagship Android devices can provide 500 mA.]

. Accessory mode
"In this mode, the Android device operates as a USB peripheral, under the control of another device such as a dock that serves as host.
Accessory mode was extended with additional features in Android 4.1, in particular audio described below."

[Android device as USB peripheral >> regular USB cable >> Android-specific USB DAC compliant with the Android Open Accessory protocol 2.0 (AOA 2.0)]

Android support for USB audio class
. Host mode
"Android 5.0 (API level 21) and above supports a subset of USB audio class 1 (UAC1) features:

. The Android device must act as host
. The audio format must be PCM (interface type I)
. The bit depth must be 16-bits, 24-bits, or 32-bits where 24 bits of useful audio data are left-justified within the most significant bits of the 32-bit word
. The sample rate must be either 48, 44.1, 32, 24, 22.05, 16, 12, 11.025, or 8 kHz
. The channel count must be 1 (mono) or 2 (stereo)"

[The USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1) standard allows for 96 kHz max.
USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2) additionally supports sample rates up to 384 kHz.]

. Accessory mode
"Android 4.1 (API level 16) added limited support for audio playback to the host. While in accessory mode, Android automatically routes its audio output to USB.
The audio format must be 16-bit PCM.
The sample rate must be 44.1 kHz.
The channel count must be 2 (stereo).
Accessory mode audio has not been widely adopted, and is not currently recommended for new designs."

[An Android-specific USB DAC is compliant with the Android Open Accessory protocol 2.0 (AOA 2.0).]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5145#post_10762672
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5295#post_10838611
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5490#post_10963953
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/UnAssigned-Content/Android+Compatibility
http://www.jvc.net/cs/car/firmware/2014/aoa/index.html

Applications of USB digital audio - A tale of two DACs
"In the example diagram below, we compare two designs. First we have a mobile device with Application Processor (AP), on-board DAC, amplifier, and analog TRS connector attached to headphones. We also consider a mobile device with USB connected to external USB DAC and amplifier, also with headphones.

Which design is better? The answer depends on your needs. Each has advantages and disadvantages.
Note: this is an artificial comparison, since a real Android device would probably have both options available.

The first design A is simpler, less expensive, uses less power, and will be a more reliable design assuming otherwise equally reliable components. However, there are usually audio quality tradeoffs vs. other requirements. For example, if this is a mass-market device, it may be designed to fit the needs of the general consumer, not for the audiophile.

In the second design, the external audio peripheral C can be designed for higher audio quality and greater power output without impacting the cost of the basic mass market Android device B. Yes, it is a more expensive design, but the cost is absorbed only by those who want it.

Mobile devices are notorious for having high-density circuit boards, which can result in more opportunities for crosstalk that degrades adjacent analog signals. Digital communication is less susceptible to noise, so moving the DAC from the Android device A to an external circuit board C allows the final analog stages to be physically and electrically isolated from the dense and noisy circuit board, resulting in higher fidelity audio.

On the other hand, the second design is more complex, and with added complexity come more opportunities for things to fail. There is also additional latency from the USB controllers."

Implementing USB audio
. Recommendations for audio peripheral vendors
"In order to inter-operate with Android devices, audio peripheral vendors should:
. design for audio class compliance; currently Android targets class 1, but it is wise to plan for class 2
. avoid quirks
. test for inter-operability with reference and popular Android devices
. clearly document supported features, audio class compliance, power requirements, etc. so that consumers can make informed decisions."

. Recommendations for Android device OEMs and SoC vendors
"In order to support USB digital audio, device OEMs and SoC vendors should:
. enable all kernel features needed: USB host mode, USB audio, isochronous transfer mode
. keep up-to-date with recent kernel releases and patches; despite the noble goal of class compliance, there are extant audio peripherals with quirks, and recent kernels have workarounds for such quirks
. enable USB audio policy as described below
. test for inter-operability with common USB audio peripherals."

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #5,643 of 9,526
Hi I wanted to thank m-i-c-k-e-y and DanBa for their advice and help with Note 4 and DragonFly 1.2.  

I can confirm I now have the Note 4 and DragonFly 1.2 working.  I have tried Neutron and Google Music Player (show Magenta all time) and also USB Audio Player Pro (Shows different colors based on khz of music)

After much messing about I just ordered a new DragonFly 1.2 from a different shop and it just worked out of the box with my Note 4 and USB OTG cable.  The one at the shop clearly had a fault, It was tested on a computer before I tried it on the phone bit their you go.

Sounds great.

Regards
Ash 

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #5,644 of 9,526

Here's a highly regarded custom 'stock' rom taken from Samsung's 4.3 base.  Every time a new base from any region is put out by Samsung, the developer builds a new version quickly.  Stuff like camera drivers should be 100% working.  Will be trying it myself soon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/rom-neatromlite-themed-aroma-mods-t2060403

Having said that, there are plenty of folks here using AOSP roms and have no problems at all with USB audio.

Finally I tried the last ArchiDroid 3.0, based on Cyanogen 4.4.4. The custom rom is very smooth and stable, but the DAC is not recognized.
I don't know if is "only" a kernel problem, but my E18 is no more working with my S3...
So my question is: no AOSP custom rom maintains compatibility with USB audio as the stock rom?
Only Samsung-based roms can work with USB DAC?

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #5,646 of 9,526
Moto G 4G + UAPP + USB OTB cable + micro iDSD = works like charm no usb glitching with default settings.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #5,648 of 9,526
  Hi I wanted to thank m-i-c-k-e-y and DanBa for their advice and help with Note 4 and DragonFly 1.2.  

I can confirm I now have the Note 4 and DragonFly 1.2 working.  I have tried Neutron and Google Music Player (show Magenta all time) and also USB Audio Player Pro (Shows different colors based on khz of music)

After much messing about I just ordered a new DragonFly 1.2 from a different shop and it just worked out of the box with my Note 4 and USB OTG cable.  The one at the shop clearly had a fault, It was tested on a computer before I tried it on the phone bit their you go.

Sounds great.

Regards
Ash 

Connecting Note 4 with Dragonfly 1.2, few questions:
- Does it still require UARP or UAPP?
- Does it support high quality streaming (SPOTIFY, PANDORA, RDIO)?
- Is the Volume control working properly?
- How fast does it deplete the Note 4 battery (power draw)?

Thanks

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #5,649 of 9,526
Thanks for the ideas.  I will try another usb cable on todays walk even though it will be quite a bit longer.  I did order another OTG cable to use and see if I can rule that out.  And it will be good to have another one for my tablet anyway, if they both turn out to be good.

Don't know if you figured it out , but the music stopping is surely the usb connection being disconnected temporarily. You have to hit play in order to resume since music pauses on disconnects. Usually the cable connector gets damaged before the phone port. Cables tend to get messed up if yanking on them, etc.
I've seen some super sloppy phone ports though. Try wiggling your cable around while playing.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #5,650 of 9,526

Finally I tried the last ArchiDroid 3.0, based on Cyanogen 4.4.4. The custom rom is very smooth and stable, but the DAC is not recognized.
I don't know if is "only" a kernel problem, but my E18 is no more working with my S3...
So my question is: no AOSP custom rom maintains compatibility with USB audio as the stock rom?

I tried Archiport of Note 2's stock Kitkat 4.4.2 on my S3, but usb audio doesn't work either. I've just switched to Back-to-Noot's port of stock KK 4.4.4 from the Korean S3. I'll report back when I get to test if the usb audio works with E18 again.

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #5,651 of 9,526

Here's a highly regarded custom 'stock' rom taken from Samsung's 4.3 base.  Every time a new base from any region is put out by Samsung, the developer builds a new version quickly.  Stuff like camera drivers should be 100% working.  Will be trying it myself soon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/rom-neatromlite-themed-aroma-mods-t2060403

Having said that, there are plenty of folks here using AOSP roms and have no problems at all with USB audio.

Depends on build. Cyanogen sometimes supports USB Audio with included kernel. Sometimes you have to switch kernels. I sometimes have to try a bunch of AOSP ROMs before finding success. It is hit or miss. Nexus devices are good about USB Audio, but Samsung and others just depend. Most stock ROMs work with USB Audio on Samsung phones though.

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #5,652 of 9,526
LG G3 to get Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update during this week:
http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/LG-G3-to-get-Android-5-0-Lollipop-OTA-update-during-this-Week

"Google delivered the Lollipop 5.0 source code last week. This week, LG G3 users will receive their long-waited Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update. The Korean manufacturer announced today that the update is ready and its planning on releasing it this week to its latest flagship device.

The rollout of Android 5.0 to the handset will begin in Poland. More key markets will follow shortly.

The Korean giant is the first major smartphone manufacturer to deliver the latest Android build to its halo smartphone. LG will subsequently announce Android 5.0 upgrade schedule for the rest of its lineup of mobile devices."

I'm wondering if the native USB audio of the Android 5.0 Lollipop-powered LG G3 is:
. the new one designed by Google, or
. the original one designed by LG, or
. a mix.

Issue 24614: Add support for USB Audio 
Closed:  Nov 6

"Basic features of USB host mode audio are now implemented in Android 5.0.

For consumers on Nexus devices only, see this article in English: “Record and play back audio using USB host mode”
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6127700
It should be published in more languages over the next two weeks. 
As noted, only selected Nexus devices support this feature.

Support on other non-Nexus Android devices is up to each device manufacturer.

For Android device OEMs, SoC vendors, USB audio peripheral suppliers, advanced audio application developers, and others seeking detailed understanding of USB digital audio internals on Android.
see http://source.android.com/devices/audio_usb.html

As mentioned at comment #1345 above, this is the initial support.
I know there are more use cases and features that are not yet supported (for example "audiophile" and multi-channel).
And there are combinations of Android devices and USB peripherals that don't work.

I can't commit to supporting everything, but I do want to increase peripheral coverage and add the most critical missing features.

As this issue is now closed, please feel free to file new issues here for your favorite features and (class-compliant) USB audio peripherals that don't work.
Please include the exact manufacturer name and model, a link to the USB peripheral page, a short description of which Android device you used, what you expected to have happen, and what actually happened.
Thanks!"
[Android audio team]
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614#c1347

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #5,653 of 9,526
I'm still considering whether to get an android phone and external dac or another media player. Here's a couple questions, for any who have time: 

Do you all use UAPP to organize and search through your music? Or do you use a different app to manage your music on your device? 

Any recommendations of an android phone I can use that is cheap (under $150), off-contract, can handle 128gb card and that I can use in airplane mode only? I don't really need another phone but I'd really like an ipod classic replacement. I'd rather put my funds into an excellent dac/amp than a dap.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #5,654 of 9,526
@imackler

Motorola Moto G 4G (the same like the Moto G but with micro SD slot!) - I bought this phone only for music playback, which is permantly in airplane mode. I'm using only UAPP to manage my music collection - I prefer folder playback. And this will get soon Android L / 5.0
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #5,655 of 9,526
  I'm still considering whether to get an android phone and external dac or another media player. Here's a couple questions, for any who have time: 

Do you all use UAPP to organize and search through your music? Or do you use a different app to manage your music on your device? 

Any recommendations of an android phone I can use that is cheap (under $150), off-contract, can handle 128gb card and that I can use in airplane mode only? I don't really need another phone but I'd really like an ipod classic replacement. I'd rather put my funds into an excellent dac/amp than a dap.

Make sure you get one with enough horsepower and can run kitkat. Perferable one that supports native USB Audio,. You can probably pick up a Galaxy S4 on the cheap,  even has 2 GB of RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back