Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5,671 of 9,526

I'm hoping someone can help. I recently purchased a DF v1.0 from eBay to use via otg from my note3. Everything works perfect when hooked up , but I'm getting only half the volume,out of my ifi ican when using the DF. If I use the HPO on my note3> ican> hd650 the volume output is double. Atm I'm only using Spotify until I build my music library. When using the HPO , on my note3 , I can only turn my ican up to about 1 o'clock. When using otg> df> ican , I can max out the volume on my ican and it's no where near as loud as the 1 o'clock volume , compared to the HPO method. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Apparently, the DragonFly half-volume issue is fixed as far as USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) is concerned.

I bought the full version and it's working great with my Nexus 7 Grouper (CM 11) and HTC One (Omni ROM) connected to an Audioquest Dragonfly.

Only complain is that the volume is way to low.....

Keep up the good work!

The Dragonfly indeed initializes at half volume which will be solved soon.

Note to all: it seems I have been violating this forum's terms of use and from this point I cannot post everything I like and my account name will change. So if you have any bug reports or feature requests, please do contact me by email, preferably at info AT audio-evolution.com.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3795#post_10106797

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #5,672 of 9,526
  Managing audio files for use with USB Audio Player Pro

I am using UAPP with much satisfaction. The audio files I listen to are in the Sounds directory of the external SD card. I select them navigating the directories. UAPP did build a kind of a media server with artists and albums but I don't know on which basis.

The flac files from my CD collection are located on a external harddisk, a WDMyCloud. The new Network connection of UAPP lets me play them with my preferred player as long as I am in vicinity of my local network. When away, I can still access them through the WDMyCloud app on the smartphone but they are then played them through the default player of the device.

I found a solution. If I first download the files I want to listen to to the smartphone (which I can do over the Internet), I can convince UAPP to play them. Fantastic!

Now, the WDMyCloud app downloads the files to a WDMyCloud directory on the phone's storage; there is no way to tell it to store them on the external SD card (verified). On the other hand, I did not find any way to tell UAPP a list of nodes where it can find audio files to list. So the only way I have made out for switching from music on the external card to the music downloaded with WDMyCloud seems to be to navigate step by step from a subdirectory on the external card upwards to the upmost directory and then downwards to the WDMyCloud subdirectory in the phone's storage (or the reverse). It is feasable and maintains good connections in the brain but... you know what I mean.

Did I miss something? Does anybody have a better idea?

Addendum: it seems to be pretty simple to copy the directories downloaded to the smartphone to the other location on the external SD card.

P.S. I did not identify a more appropriate forum to ask this question

As far as I understand, on your high-bandwidth local area network, UAPP can stream music stored on your WDMyCloud SMB/Samba server; and on the go, likely on a lower bandwidth wide area network, UAPP can't.

About UAPP streaming vs. "WDMyCloud app" streaming, on the go, the throughput rate can vary considerably. And UAPP should likely have some higher flow rate minimum threshold value for SMB/Samba streaming.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #5,674 of 9,526
Try HibyMusic player on your Android Phones, though it no English version now. I think they will release it soon.

http://vdisk.weibo.com/s/cxA51pgUOJbmq

HibyMusic is a free HiFi music player on mobile device, and support Android only currently.

It can decode many loss less audio format such as WAV/WMA/Lossless/ALAC/FLAC/APE... AND DSD formats: DSF DFF ISO(with DST decoding) and lossy formats MP3/AAC/OGG/AIFF.

It also can output digital audio streams to external USB DACs, both USB Audio 1.0 and USB Audio 2.0 protocol are supported. AND NATIVE DSD stream can be outputted.

LAN server have been supported by this version.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #5,679 of 9,526
  Try HibyMusic player on your Android Phones, though it no English version now. I think they will release it soon.

http://vdisk.weibo.com/s/cxA51pgUOJbmq

HibyMusic is a free HiFi music player on mobile device, and support Android only currently.

It can decode many loss less audio format such as WAV/WMA/Lossless/ALAC/FLAC/APE... AND DSD formats: DSF DFF ISO(with DST decoding) and lossy formats MP3/AAC/OGG/AIFF.

It also can output digital audio streams to external USB DACs, both USB Audio 1.0 and USB Audio 2.0 protocol are supported. AND NATIVE DSD stream can be outputted.

LAN server have been supported by this version.

please let us know when it is available on adroid app site

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5,681 of 9,526

As far as I understand, on your high-bandwidth local area network, UAPP can stream music stored on your WDMyCloud SMB/Samba server; and on the go, likely on a lower bandwidth wide area network, UAPP can't.

About UAPP streaming vs. "WDMyCloud app" streaming, on the go, the throughput rate can vary considerably. And UAPP should likely have some higher flow rate minimum threshold value for SMB/Samba streaming.

In my understanding, the Samba protocol works only on a local network. When on the go, if I want to play music on UAPP, which still is on the WDMyCloud NAS, I don't stream it, I download it to the handy, so I can feed it to UAPP.

Since I cannot choose whereto the files are downloaded (the directory is defined by the WDMyCloud app, on the phone's storage), I am left with the following choice:

- I can navigate in UAPP to the default directory (and back when I will listen to music in the standard location on the external SD card). This is cumbersome

- I can move the downloaded files to the directory where I store most of the music - this is actually easy on my phone.

- ... and I discovered that the media server in UAPP scans the whole device (the phone's storage as well as the external SD card), so there is no need to navigate... if the files I import via WDMyCloud are tagged carefully.

This last option solves my problem. The only drawback is that I did not find any means to trigger a scan, so I have to wait that UAPP itself takes the initiative. This can last for a few hours. If I did miss something, please tell me.

In any case, I appreciate very much UAPP, also for setting the priority on sound quality and not, as so many other pieces of soft, on user confort, big numbers, integration with social networks and so on.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5,682 of 9,526
Streaming music stored on SMB/Samba Network Access Server to Android phone over 4G/LTE is possible.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/streaming-movies-music-nas-smb-cifs-android-phone-over-4g-lte-possible-1336957/
http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1302

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #5,683 of 9,526
I just upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to Xperia Z3 Compact so I have some more data points for DanBa to add to his list.

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803) w/stock Android 4.4.4

Audioengine D1: WORKS with PowerAmp, Walkman Music app, & UAPP (recommend external USB power source to power the D1)
Audioquest DragonFly v1.2: WORKS with PowerAmp, Walkman Music app, & UAPP
Fiio E07K: WORKS with PowerAmp, Walkman Music app, & UAPP
Fiio E17: WORKS with PowerAmp, Walkman Music app, & UAPP

I also just got the DragonFly and noticed something that I wasn't aware of before, which is that PowerAmp upsamples 44kHz music to 48kHz.  I didn't know this before because the E17 shows both 44kHz and 48kHz USB input as 48/16 whereas the DragonFly shows different colors when playing 44kHz and 48kHz music.  

The built-in Sony Walkman music app and UAPP both output 16/44 and 24/96 properly to the external DACs (after enabling "Hi-Res Audio via USB" in the audio settings).  That being said, the location of the microUSB port on the Z3c is in a really awkward spot for USB OTG DAC/amp usage/placement, even with a 90 degree USB OTG cable.  I've basically switched over to a Fiio X1 DAP for my portable audio playing needs and just use the Z3c for phone/email/web now.  This post was more of a FYI for others curious about compatibility with the still relatively new (to North America at least) Z3 Compact.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #5,685 of 9,526
Had switched from Xperia Z to Note 3 specifically because of the USB placement and its annoying FLAPs.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back