Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #5,626 of 9,526
See DanBa's post on the previous page.

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #5,628 of 9,526
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-4-5-7-and-10-Android-5.0-Lollipop-update-allegedly-postponed-for-November-12_id62503

http://bgr.com/2014/11/05/android-5-0-lollipop-aosp-for-nexus-5/

now maybe next week.......:frowning2:

of course, if you want to burn ROMs and DIY it, you don't have to wait for OTA,,,,,,,,,,,,i'll wait

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #5,629 of 9,526
So only the Dragonfly v1.2 works ? or does the v1.0 work too? I cant find the answer, although i did see something about v1.1 or higher in one of the links.
I want to use my Moto G with the Dragonfly v1.0

V1.2 works with usb audio player and my lg g2. With v1 no deal.
Hope this helps.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #5,630 of 9,526
  I've just bought UAPP and would like to shuffle play all the music in my NAS.

In Neutron, I just select the directory containing all the music sub-directories as a source. In UAPP, I can connect to my NAS OK, but am not sure how to select the directory as a source. It only seems to let me choose a single track and then it will shuffle files within that directory only.

Only shuffle playback within a directory for the time being.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #5,631 of 9,526
  The new Sony Xperia E3 doesn't work with my FIIO Andes (E07k). On GSM Arena says it has USB Host, USB OTG but on all others sites this wasn't mentioned.  I installed UAPP and it still doesn't work. There's a repeating ''tic, tic'' sound from left channel to right channel and UAPP says no USB device detected. On the official Sony support forum people say it should have those functions.. I contacted Sony care and they confirmed E3 has USB OTG/USB Host.

Each component of your setup should be separately tested:

. Test the USB DAC with a PC or a Mac:
PC >> regular USB cable provided by FiiO >> FiiO E07K USB DAC/amp >> headphones
If it works, the regular cable and the E07K are OK.

. Test the Xperia E3 with a USB OTG adapter cable and a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:
 Xperia E3 >> USB OTG adapter cable >> USB mouse
 If it works, the USB OTG adapter cable is OK, and the Xperia E3's USB host feature is OK (99% OK, because the USB isochronous transfer is not tested).

. Test your setup:
Xperia E3 using UAPP >> USB OTG adapter cable + regular USB cable >> FiiO E07K USB DAC/amp >> headphones

"Important: connect your device [i.e. "FiiO E07K + cables" to the Xperia E3]  BEFORE starting the UAPP app, otherwise it will not get detected!"
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #5,632 of 9,526
  Hi I am from UK and have purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.  I have read through this thread which is great and this is my first experience with trying to purchase a budget DAC, so I'm a newbie if you want.

Based on the compatibility list on this thread for the Note 4 I decided to try out the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, I went to the shop to try it to make sure it works and unfortunately it didn't.  I tried USB Audio Player PRO and Neutron but no joy.  USB Audio Player PRO showed a message saying something like "No USB DAC attached".

What I did was plug the Dragonfly into the USB OTG cable then plugged that into the phone and tried it with music players mentioned above. However I did not at any point plugin any headphones into the dragonfly, not sure if that would have enabled it.  

I tested my USB OTG cable by plugging in a USB Pen drive which my phone happily picks up.  The Dragonfly also worked on a Computer.

I am wondering if I missed doing something or if someone can help.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 4 info - 
Model Number: SM-N910F
Android Version: 4.4.4

Earphones : Shure SE425

Regards
Ash

May be "Important: connect your device [i.e. DragonFly + USB OTG adapter cable to the Note 4]  BEFORE starting the UAPP app, otherwise it will not get detected!".

Thanks m-i-c-k-e-y, your reply on the USB power output was very timely as I was about to order the DragonFly, what I will do instead is get a USB power output reader see what the output is of my particular Note 4 and then take it from there.

Another question is if the Note 4 is not outputting enough power to drive the dragonFly  then would an option be to buy a Fiio E07K as it has its own battery I believe.  Not sure if that would work still as I dont know if it still needs the usb power from the phone to work..  Reading reviews on-line I did want the DragonFly but will go for an option that will work.

Regards
Ash

As the Galaxy Note 4 can directly work with a FiiO E17 which requires 500 mA (maximum current load required by a standard USB DAC), it can directly work with any compatible USB DAC.

" So the ATT Galaxy Note 4 is inter-working with my Dragonfly v1.2 without the use of UAPP. The dragonfly is staying lit magenta(24/96), so I'm assuming it's upsampling streaming and music apps such as Google Music, Stock Audio Player, etc. I haven't transferred a lot of music yet, but the dragonfly only changes color(sample rates) when I use it with UAPP." [Tristanb]
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5565#post_10975128

To be sure, you should send a PM to Tristanb.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #5,633 of 9,526
Thanks for the help DanBa!

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #5,635 of 9,526

Each component of your setup should be separately tested:

. Test the USB DAC with a PC or a Mac:
PC >> regular USB cable provided by FiiO >> FiiO E07K USB DAC/amp >> headphones
If it works, the regular cable and the E07K are OK.

. Test the Xperia E3 with a USB OTG adapter cable and a simpler USB peripheral like a USB mouse or a USB keyboard:
 Xperia E3 >> USB OTG adapter cable >> USB mouse
 If it works, the USB OTG adapter cable is OK, and the Xperia E3's USB host feature is OK (99% OK, because the USB isochronous transfer is not tested).

. Test your setup:
Xperia E3 using UAPP >> USB OTG adapter cable + regular USB cable >> FiiO E07K USB DAC/amp >> headphones

"Important: connect your device [i.e. "FiiO E07K + cables" to the Xperia E3]  BEFORE starting the UAPP app, otherwise it will not get detected!"
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

So I contacted Sony care Romania and they stated that my D2203 model has OTG/USB Host, however those features doesn't work as it should.  My mobile AMP/Dac FIIO E07K doesn't work> reapeating ''tic-tic'' sound through headphones. my USB memory stick is sometimes detected. After activating USB storage it tell me that the stick is detected but it is deteriorated and needs formatting. After pressing format it tells me that sd card was taken off( I don't have an sd card installed). I reformated the usb memory as fat 32 and it works My USB mouse doesn't work either. The Led that luminates the brand logo is flickering.
Configuration: USB device (AMP/Dac or memory stick or usb mouse)>OTG cable (i have two and with one of them nothing is working)> E3
All those devices are working with my pc and my other 2 phones: Samsung Note 4 and Alcatel One touch C7. I will test them with LG l70 today or tomorrow.
 One more thing, When I start the E3 I receive ''error initializing USB'' message but the phone is connecting well at PC and works with the charger.

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #5,637 of 9,526
  So I contacted Sony care Romania and they stated that my D2203 model has OTG/USB Host, however those features doesn't work as it should.  My mobile AMP/Dac FIIO E07K doesn't work> reapeating ''tic-tic'' sound through headphones. my USB memory stick is sometimes detected. After activating USB storage it tell me that the stick is detected but it is deteriorated and needs formatting. After pressing format it tells me that sd card was taken off( I don't have an sd card installed). I reformated the usb memory as fat 32 and it works My USB mouse doesn't work either. The Led that luminates the brand logo is flickering.
Configuration: USB device (AMP/Dac or memory stick or usb mouse)>OTG cable (i have two and with one of them nothing is working)> E3
All those devices are working with my pc and my other 2 phones: Samsung Note 4 and Alcatel One touch C7. I will test them with LG l70 today or tomorrow.
 One more thing, When I start the E3 I receive ''error initializing USB'' message but the phone is connecting well at PC and works with the charger.

It may probably be related to the power capabilities of your model. I had similar issues with Xperia Sola, which also had USB OTG feature, but anything that consumes above 100mA, would fail.

Try the following:

1) use a powered USB hub between your Xperia and devices. I. e. Xperia - OTG Cable - Hub cable - device into hub port.
2) If you use Windows PC, connect your USB memory stick and other devices to the PC, go to Control Panel - Device Manager - USB devices, check all lines related to USB Hubs (internal USB ports on the mobo are also ogranised into hubs), and check their Properties - Power tab. There will be a list of devices connected to ports of this "hub", with power consumption values. Sometimes even the small-size USB 2.0 memory sticks would negitiate stupid 300mA, or even 500mA, whereas in reality they would only consume less than 50mA.

Hope this helps.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5,639 of 9,526

It may probably be related to the power capabilities of your model. I had similar issues with Xperia Sola, which also had USB OTG feature, but anything that consumes above 100mA, would fail.

Try the following:

1) use a powered USB hub between your Xperia and devices. I. e. Xperia - OTG Cable - Hub cable - device into hub port.
2) If you use Windows PC, connect your USB memory stick and other devices to the PC, go to Control Panel - Device Manager - USB devices, check all lines related to USB Hubs (internal USB ports on the mobo are also ogranised into hubs), and check their Properties - Power tab. There will be a list of devices connected to ports of this "hub", with power consumption values. Sometimes even the small-size USB 2.0 memory sticks would negitiate stupid 300mA, or even 500mA, whereas in reality they would only consume less than 50mA.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I will try this.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #5,640 of 9,526
That's a shame. 

"Rome wasn't built in a day".
While offering best sounding, there are a lot of UARP/UAPP improvements over time: recorder-oriented development to playback-oriented development, shuffle playback mode, SMB/Samba network streaming capability, DSD over PCM (DoP), ....

Do you know if there are any plans to enable shuffling sub- directories?

Nope.
I think you should alert eXtream Software Development of this feature requirement by posting on the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/704065/usb-audio-recorder-pro-uapp-24-and-32-bit-playback-ubiquitous-usb-audio-support-for-android

Users who are viewing this thread

Back