Android: Neutron Music Player
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,081 of 1,375
Ok, so from my observation bit-perfect is working on android only, when i got notification i cannot hear the sound of them during playback and music sound the same like on pc with asio bitstream, on iphone i can hear all minor sounds during playback... Im just curious only i have that problem or its common on iphone... If i cannot listening music on that ill sell it... I have to try deferent player with bit streaming.
You will find that until you master Neutron you may have problems, so selling your hardware will not achieve much.
I have used Neutron for years, there is no better player, and Mojo at twice its price point is in top two best Dacs .
you cant do better, just learn the controls.
you will get there .

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,082 of 1,375
You will find that until you master Neutron you may have problems, so selling your hardware will not achieve much.
I have used Neutron for years, there is no better player, and Mojo at twice its price point is in top two best Dacs .
you cant do better, just learn the controls.
you will get there .
You have right but i have no clue what settings i can try... i have all settings according to Rob Watts guide for mojo. On android is perfect but on that ios something is going on.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,083 of 1,375
You have right but i have no clue what settings i can try... i have all settings according to Rob Watts guide for mojo. On android is perfect but on that ios something is going on.
Apple the forbidden fruit!

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,084 of 1,375
OK , I shall try it.
re your second point, the only way a different host can affect tone is through some kind oh eq or dsp .
digital audio is pretty robust! cables, the odd RF, usb or spdif can not alter it.
so the answer to your question is No.
I tried it.
Failed attempt as it just crashed every time .
Even DSD64 crashed, so either my phone, cable or both are not up to it.
But DSD 128 material plays flawlessly !
upsampling to 16fs, no problem .

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,085 of 1,375
Are any of you able to send DSD material to another device via UPnP under the 'Output To' option in Neutron? I can output hi bit rate PCM to other UPnP enabled devices, but not DSD.

For reference, the devices in question are able to receive DSD via UPnP from other programs ala Audirvana, just not Neutron.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,086 of 1,375
Failed attempt as it just crashed every time .
That's strange behaviour. I think if it can't do the upsampling you will just get distortion in sound all the time, clicks and whatnot. But it should not be reason for the program to crash. Seems to me like it cannot work with the present latency settings you have. I changed my settings as well for the DSD256. Hardware is at maximum still, software need to be a little bit higher. This may prevent it from crashing, it worked well on my old phone. I have 400hw and 20sw now instead of 400 and 10.

Are any of you able to send DSD material to another device via UPnP under the 'Output To' option in Neutron? I can output hi bit rate PCM to other UPnP enabled devices, but not DSD.

For reference, the devices in question are able to receive DSD via UPnP from other programs ala Audirvana, just not Neutron.
If you are interested could try to ask in Neutron s forum here: https://neutroncode.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=f2be65801e5f65d9d159e4e929122312

Or wait for more answers here in HeadFi.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,088 of 1,375
Im waiting for reply from apple. Im trying to do something with eq. Im working on one file (Moriarty - Diamonds never die) now and i hope its not kinda dynamic dsp
:(
this eq is not perfect but its more or less how iphone is far away from neutral sounding... while bit-perfect transmission do not work. But its not correct way, and i hate using any corrections but what to do. I was never used eq before. If i had oscilloscope that would be much much easier... im working on my perception only

im testing on chord mojo + etymotic er4xr

EDIT:

My problem is solved.
Between ios and android is "small difference" to achieve bit-perfect. Its all about "profiles" menu.
On android bit-perfect is working when you have activated option "digital:usb" only but on ios you have to activate "digital:usb" AND "digital:upnp/dlna, chromecast" or bit-perfect will not work.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #1,089 of 1,375
I played a 1khz sinus wave.
Why do I see a completely different amplitude as soon as I activate oversampling?
In addition, the amplitude oscillates in the low frequency range, when oversampling is activated.
Screenshot_20220107-113539_Neutron Player.jpg
Screenshot_20220107-113600_Neutron Player.jpg

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,090 of 1,375
I played a 1khz sinus wave.
Why do I see a completely different amplitude as soon as I activate oversampling?
In addition, the amplitude oscillates in the low frequency range, when oversampling is activated.
Screenshot_20220107-113539_Neutron Player.jpgScreenshot_20220107-113600_Neutron Player.jpg
By how much are you oversampling this file?
Also do you have this particular 1kHz sine wave tone available to share for testing purposes?
Majority of the ones I have gotten for free from the web are at 0dBFS, and their peak level does not change or decrease in any appreciable way when oversampling (but my device's display is a paltry 800x480 instead of 3200x1440 so you can definitely see more granular changes than I can).

You have Follow Source Frequency enabled under Spectrum Analyzer settings. Should you disable this, you can see that when Neutron outputs at higher and higher sampling rates, Spectrum Analyzer merges the amplitudes of lower frequencies together into single band(s).

For example, native playback of 44.100 kHz file, the leftmost amplitude is a single band ranging from 20 to about 40 Hz.
When I oversample (X2), the leftmost amplitude is a single band ranging from 20 to about 80 or 90Hz.

(These screenshots are all at different places within same 44.100 kHz file, so amplitudes will vary, this is more to show the width of the bands)

Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Disabled - Oversampling (X2) Enabled
Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Disabled - Oversampling (X2) Enabled.png

Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Disabled - Oversampling Disabled
Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Disabled - Oversampling Disabled.png

Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Enabled - Oversampling (X2) Enabled
Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Enabled - Oversampling (X2) Enabled.png

Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Enabled - Oversampling Disabled
Follow Source Frequency (In Spectrum View) Enabled - Oversampling Disabled.png

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,093 of 1,375
Hello, if everyone knows why i'd like to ask if you too, after some time of playing music, you hear loud white noise. I am using "All to DSD" with multithreaded on and 256dsd. It happens randomly, after playing 2-3 songs. I have to close the app and open it back up.
if anyone else had such issue and fixed it, care to share how to?

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #1,094 of 1,375
Hello, if everyone knows why i'd like to ask if you too, after some time of playing music, you hear loud white noise. I am using "All to DSD" with multithreaded on and 256dsd. It happens randomly, after playing 2-3 songs. I have to close the app and open it back up.
Maybe if 'native DSD' is on it might help? That's a setting under 'DSD, DSD over PCM'

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #1,095 of 1,375
Could you find some DSD256 album with multiple tracks and listen for it for some time. Will it be stable? Also what happens if you switch back to DSD128 for "All to DSD"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back