Android: Neutron Music Player
Oct 27, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #1,051 of 1,375
i tried all three versions on the Note 9, all happens. The M15 can only go for the dsd64 and still, after a while it happens. Usually during a song, not at the beginning. The songs are read from the microsd, it's A2 rated one so access should be fast and not an issue. It only ever happens with all to DSD. DSD Passthrough works perfectly even with wavpack.
I’ve tested both with R8 and DX300MAX, both S660 SoC based. R8 has no CPU cap, so, works like a charm up to DSD256, DX300MAX has capped CPU clock, for me DSD256 works stable only when connected to power and screen turned on.
DSD64 and DSD128 plays smoothly.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,052 of 1,375
I’ve tested both with R8 and DX300MAX, both S660 SoC based. R8 has no CPU cap, so, works like a charm up to DSD256, DX300MAX has capped CPU clock, for me DSD256 works stable only when connected to power and screen turned on.
Those are some serious beasts. My M15 has wonderful sound, too bad the 7872 CPU that is kinda lacking. But i admit i'm kinda splitting hairs since i can just put in native wavpacked DSD256 and call it a day.

Oct 31, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #1,054 of 1,375
I have a problem with the order of the tracks. this is apparently an Android problem, but maybe I can solve it directly with Neutron. On my PC, the tracks are correctly sorted in a folder / album. but as soon as I copy them into the music folder on my smartphone, Android apparently automatically rearranges them alphabetically. do you have any ideas how I can solve this problem?

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #1,055 of 1,375
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,056 of 1,375
Done, same stuff....
Well.....is true this is not the best CPU, but Fiio uses generic CPU Governor, Interactive i think was called. It is agressive, but tries keep frequency as low as possible at the same time. So this is why happends so, if you can set the CPU frequency to be at max. frequency all the time it will do at least DSD128 i think. I have Sony Xperia Z2 from 2013 and it does up to DSD128, this is Snapdragon 801 chipset, a 8-9 years old. So from this i make conclusion that if the CPU in agressive governor mode, it will do DSD128 at least at any/most devices 2016-2017+ year release. And at most 2019+ can set DSD256 no problem (i mean even 150$-200 phone should be able to do it).

However, you could probably try use a phone and then use the DAP as DAC only. Kind a stupid way to do it, but is maybe possible and i am almost sure you will hear improvement using DSD256 upsampling especially. There can be battery draining though and other inconveniences that come with this, the DAP maybe does not have option to stop/disable USB charging. Can do it if the device have 2 ports, 1 for dedicated for charging and 1 for the USB Input. But most new DAPs do not have this (2ports right). If your device have 2 USB ports is worth trying though.

I just recommend trying upsample to DSD because it makes the sound more dynamic. It does not make the sound higher quality than the PCM sound, but it improves a lot the dynamic, the bass is there when needs to be, the treble is not harsh, the mids are so quickly changing that you do not have voices that are anxious sounding. I use always EQ on anything PCM, with DSD you just don't need that, everything is in place. Super separation and soundstage. You do not hear more details, but you hear them a lot better 'pronounced' than on PCM, is big improvement. Is better on DSD128 and 256 for sure. 64 is...better than the PCM if you use 64bit processing on, not so noticable as 128 or 256 though. Yes, that counts for any PCM upsampled to DSD as well. And for any files, MP3 up to FLACs and everything. And Neutron does this upsampling exceptionally well.

Maybe try 32 bit proccessing, so 64 off. And then see if can do it 32bit+DSD128 or 256.

You could as well convert the files to DSD and play so as you said, but is a lot of space.

Ok, thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,057 of 1,375
Well.....is true this is not the best CPU, but Fiio uses generic CPU Governor, Interactive i think was called. It is agressive, but tries keep frequency as low as possible at the same time. So this is why happends so, if you can set the CPU frequency to be at max. frequency all the time it will do at least DSD128 i think. I have Sony Xperia Z2 from 2013 and it does up to DSD128, this is Snapdragon 801 chipset, a 8-9 years old. So from this i make conclusion that if the CPU in agressive governor mode, it will do DSD128 at least at any/most devices 2016-2017+ year release. And at most 2019+ can set DSD256 no problem (i mean even 150$-200 phone should be able to do it).

However, you could probably try use a phone and then use the DAP as DAC only. Kind a stupid way to do it, but is maybe possible and i am almost sure you will hear improvement using DSD256 upsampling especially. There can be battery draining though and other inconveniences that come with this, the DAP maybe does not have option to stop/disable USB charging. Can do it if the device have 2 ports, 1 for dedicated for charging and 1 for the USB Input. But most new DAPs do not have this (2ports right). If your device have 2 USB ports is worth trying though.

I just recommend trying upsample to DSD because it makes the sound more dynamic. It does not make the sound higher quality than the PCM sound, but it improves a lot the dynamic, the bass is there when needs to be, the treble is not harsh, the mids are so quickly changing that you do not have voices that are anxious sounding. I use always EQ on anything PCM, with DSD you just don't need that, everything is in place. Super separation and soundstage. You do not hear more details, but you hear them a lot better 'pronounced' than on PCM, is big improvement. Is better on DSD128 and 256 for sure. 64 is...better than the PCM if you use 64bit processing on, not so noticable as 128 or 256 though. Yes, that counts for any PCM upsampled to DSD as well. And for any files, MP3 up to FLACs and everything. And Neutron does this upsampling exceptionally well.

Maybe try 32 bit proccessing, so 64 off. And then see if can do it 32bit+DSD128 or 256.

You could as well convert the files to DSD and play so as you said, but is a lot of space.

Ok, thanks for reading.
Would be nice to know how to tweak the governor on the M15, but i've found nothing about it. If FiiO were to give a heads up it would be nice. Otherwise i'm in the dark.
I use mostly DSD files, but yeah i like going all to DSD. FiiO has a DSD64 internal function, and it works with no sweat. I tried DSD128 and it lagged like hell. I guess it's the governor that is too aggressive...

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,058 of 1,375
DX300MAX reported to play PCM to DSD256 smoothly when increased hardware latency value.

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,059 of 1,375
Would be nice to know how to tweak the governor on the M15, but i've found nothing about it. If FiiO were to give a heads up it would be nice. Otherwise i'm in the dark.
I use mostly DSD files, but yeah i like going all to DSD. FiiO has a DSD64 internal function, and it works with no sweat. I tried DSD128 and it lagged like hell. I guess it's the governor that is too aggressive...

The M15 etc are rootable so you can change whatever you want once rooted. Their is no replacement kernel but the governer, min max cpu speed etc can be change at or after boot.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #1,061 of 1,375
Im annoyed that the shuffle on Neutron shuffles all tracks in all folders rather then current playing folder like other apps
I'm not finding that to be Neutron's behavior at all...

If I'm browsing from the Artist category, select an Artist, choose an Album (with multiple songs), choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album.

If I'm browsing from the Folders category, choose All Folders (or drill down to any folder from my SD cards), choose any Album, choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing Screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album/folder.

I cannot replicate Neutron shuffling outside of the chosen album or folder. How does it come about for you?

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,062 of 1,375
I'm not finding that to be Neutron's behavior at all...

If I'm browsing from the Artist category, select an Artist, choose an Album (with multiple songs), choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album.

If I'm browsing from the Folders category, choose All Folders (or drill down to any folder from my SD cards), choose any Album, choose a track, turn on shuffle from Now Playing Screen, and advance to new track, it stays within the chosen album/folder.

I cannot replicate Neutron shuffling outside of the chosen album or folder. How does it come about for you?
I think you said the same thing on neutron forum :)
yeah not sure I need to re install and try again I guess

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,063 of 1,375
I used to stream from tidal to neutron using mconnect app and neutron correctly did the full mqa unfold, but now only recognizes the track as FLAC. UAPP with the mqa addon correctly recognizes the MQA flag.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,064 of 1,375
I used to stream from tidal to neutron using mconnect app and neutron correctly did the full mqa unfold, but now only recognizes the track as FLAC. UAPP with the mqa addon correctly recognizes the MQA flag.
Can you please explain about mconnect to neutron. How does that work?

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,065 of 1,375
Neutron has a Media Renderer function that enables it as a DLNA/Upnp receiver. I can send from Mconnect a stream from Tidal or Qobuz or a local file to the device running Neutron. Also Neutron can stream to Chromecast or Upnp endpoints. In my case I use an Android TV Box connected to a DAC as streamer running either Neutron or UAPP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back