Android: Neutron Music Player
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #1,096 of 1,374
For a while, I could play some DSD in native mode to a Fiio M17 set as DLNA renderer (with neutron Player), I could even send through USB to an external DAC + AMP all my DSD. I was using from my PC foobar2000...
Then I think without any reason, now the Neutron Player of the M17 never accept DSD in native mode anymore as DLNA renderer issued from foobar2000 of my PC or even another Neutron Player from my android smartphone ...
It's not clear on Neutron Player what I should select to be a full DLNA renderer to accept DSD in native mode ? any idea what I am missing ?

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,097 of 1,374
Would you please clarify, you were casting to Neutron some DSD files (what format - DSF, DFF, ISO?) from Foobar2000 and Neutron could output them in DSD mode to USB DAC but not it can't? After an update to 2.19.x?

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #1,098 of 1,374
Would you please clarify, you were casting to Neutron some DSD files (what format - DSF, DFF, ISO?) from Foobar2000 and Neutron could output them in DSD mode to USB DAC but not it can't? After an update to 2.19.x?

I use 2.19.2 .. but I don't know if it was automatically updated by Android these last weeks.
I installed last month the version which allowed me to play DSD (DSF files) from my SD card on the FIIO M17 in bitperfect mode (2.8M bitrate indicator of the M17 confirms it).
So I can
-> play DSD from my SD card in bitperfect mode on M17
-> play DSD from my WAN upnp server also in bit perfect mode.

What I can't do anymore is
-> to push DSD (DSF file) to the M17 (set with neutron as dlna renderer) in native mode (DSD output mode from foobar200 .. I have to set to PCM output from the SACD option in preference from foobar2000(1.46) and select the bitrate from PCM Samplerate option (44100 to 352800).
-> I can't push DSD (DSF files) from my Smartphone Samsung Z Fold 3 from Neutron player (also 2.19.2 with (follow frequency source selected and Native DSD selected) in bitperfect mode (M17 set as DLNA renderer).

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #1,099 of 1,374
Very strange as, just now, at my office, I can send from my workstation with foobar2000 (connected to my upnpn server at home by WAN) all DSF files to my M17 (Neutron set as DLNA renderer) with keeping native DSD format (1bit 2.8Mhz DSD64)

But, When I use my smartphone Z Fold 3 with Neutron player, I can send only DSD via USB-C connection in native format to M17 in USB-C DAC mode not to the M17 (Neutron set as DLNA renderer).

Neutron has a really strange/unstable behavior as DLNA renderer .. that's pity as it's the most versatile and powerful music player on the market.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,100 of 1,374
@dmitrykos
Just a possible bug report:
Under Hardware, if you set Ultrasonic filter (say) at 20kHz it functions correctly .
If you go back and enable Oversampling , then the Ultrasonic frequency shifts down according to how many multiples was chosen for over sampling!
The aforementioned frequency , at 16X oversampling, creates a very dull sound with not much past a few hundred Hertz.
The Parametric Eq however is not affected and keeps functioning correctly.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,101 of 1,374
@dmitrykos
Just a possible bug report:
Under Hardware, if you set Ultrasonic filter (say) at 20kHz it functions correctly .
If you go back and enable Oversampling , then the Ultrasonic frequency shifts down according to how many multiples was chosen for over sampling!
The aforementioned frequency , at 16X oversampling, creates a very dull sound with not much past a few hundred Hertz.
The Parametric Eq however is not affected and keeps functioning correctly.

Thank you very much for noticing it! Indeed it is a bug and will be fixed in 2.19.5+.

Mar 6, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,102 of 1,374
Hi, @dmitrykos

I can't seem to get Neutron to play to my iFi Zen Stream via UPNP properly. I've rattled thru all sorts of settings on the 'Output To' section as well as the 'Audio Hardware' section. So far I've tried from an Android device, an iPhone, and a PC -- yes, I bought Neutron 3 times haha -- all to no avail.

Sometimes the stream won't start at all, as in when I press 'Play' the time counter never starts. Other times, the stream will start but audio won't start playing out of the Zen Stream till about the 40 second mark!

I'd love to get Neutron working. Let me know if there's any more info you need from my end.

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,103 of 1,374
Hi, @dmitrykos

I can't seem to get Neutron to play to my iFi Zen Stream via UPNP properly. I've rattled thru all sorts of settings on the 'Output To' section as well as the 'Audio Hardware' section. So far I've tried from an Android device, an iPhone, and a PC -- yes, I bought Neutron 3 times haha -- all to no avail.

Sometimes the stream won't start at all, as in when I press 'Play' the time counter never starts. Other times, the stream will start but audio won't start playing out of the Zen Stream till about the 40 second mark!

I'd love to get Neutron working. Let me know if there's any more info you need from my end.

Thanks!

Thanks for having our ZEN Stream, we hope that you like it! As for Neutron, let me encourage you to ask about it and ZEN Stream here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-zen-stream-setup-tips-tricks.961425/

In this thread there are some tech-savvy folks who share their know-how about our streamer, so perhaps someone will be able to help you out there, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #1,104 of 1,374
I got the new version of Neutron from Google play store this week and I have some strange behavior with Neutron as DLNA renderer.

I use a FIIO M17 connected to an external DAC (SMSL SU9) with Neutron active in bit perfect mode/DSD native and set as DLNA renderer.

I use a Galaxy Z Fold 3 with Mconnect, Bubbleupnp or Neutron and I also use a Windows 10 Workstation with foobar2000 .. all these 4 softwares access to my Synology upnp server to read my music and play them trough wifi to the FIIO M17 Neutron player => to the SMSL SU9 (via USB-C) => to the Monolith THX887 (2xXLR) => HEDDphone One or DCA Stealth (4.4mm balanced cable)
What is really strange is that I can send Hires flac or DSD in native mode from the Foobar2000 (Windows10), Mconnect (ZFold3), Bubbleupnp(Zfold3) till the SMSL SU9 via Neutron player of the M17.(Dlna renderer)..... but I can't at all send DSD in native mode from Neutron of the Z Fold3 to Neutron of the M17 (Dlna renderer) .
When I connect Neutron of the Z fold 3 to the DAC SMSL SU9 via USB-C, I can send DSD in native mode .. not when I use the M17 Neutron player as DLNA renderer !!!!!

In short, DSD in native mode can't be sent in native mode between Neutron from smartphone to Neutron of the M17 !!! But, it's working fine with Mconnect/Bubbleupnp or foobar2000...for flac files no issue at all from any app till SU9 via M17 Neutron (bitperfect same frequencies & bits).

Is Neutron (M17) incompatible with Neutron (ZFold3) for DSD native mode transfer only as DLNA ?
Otherwise, Neutron as DLNA renderer is also missing the transfer of Sleeves from a Neutron player sender (Z Fold 3) or foobar2000, but sleeves are transferred properly to neutron M17 with Bubble Upnp and Mconnect.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #1,105 of 1,374
Under IOS with an Iphone XsMax same issue with trying to send DSD mode native to the M17 with Neutron Player set as DLNA renderer :
-> with Mconnect, the transfer in DSD native is working perfectly on M17
-> With Neutron for IOS, no sound on M17 for DSD in Native mode.

So surely, there is a real issue between Neutron players to send music in DSD native mode to one of the neutron players set in DLNA renderer.

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,106 of 1,374
Why is Neutron player always running and scanning on my Pixel 6? also, when I plug in my Lotoo S1 in I hear music, but as soon as I "allow access to S1" I lose audio.

I know the Pixel 6 has borked audio, I have to live with it for a while, I was hoping to use my DAC with it.

Screenshot_20220316-152507_cr.jpg

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #1,109 of 1,374
Try switching off Refresh button on a source entry inside Sources, Neutron will not attempt to auto-scan your library. Regarding no sound, switch off Direct USB Access option.
Turning off Direct USB works, DAC just says 48khz of course. I guess this phone is just useless. I guess there would be a way to manually scan the library. thank you

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #1,110 of 1,374
Possible Bug report.
Under hardware>Generic Driver if the default option is selected (Hi-Res Codec) , while playing and using my phone, I get momentary interruptions as I open other windows or access the file browser on the drive from which the music is playing.
If I choose "Custom Format" instead of default option, it plays smoothly no matter what I be doing!
Also, I could be imagining it, but it also sounds a little darker and less glare!
Mode chosen before you ask is RAW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back