Android: Neutron Music Player
Nov 12, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #1,066 of 1,375
Neutron has a Media Renderer function that enables it as a DLNA/Upnp receiver. I can send from Mconnect a stream from Tidal or Qobuz or a local file to the device running Neutron. Also Neutron can stream to Chromecast or Upnp endpoints. In my case I use an Android TV Box connected to a DAC as streamer running either Neutron or UAPP.
perhaps you could be kind enough to PM me instructions .

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #1,067 of 1,375
perhaps you could be kind enough to PM me instructions .
1) It's easy to activate DLNA renderer through the network menu (check the Media Renderer)
2) It's as easy to output to an external receiver through the output to menu (the list of accessible Chrome Cast or DLNA renderer appears) but it's not very stable (depending on the dlna renderer)
3) it's just a bit more tricky to access an upnp server as you have to create a new library through the library menu (you have to add a new library and select the available Upnp server in the list).
4) much more tricky to renderer Qobuz, Tidal as you have to use Bubbleupnp to connect and send music to Neutron as dlna renderer.
5) I couldn't access Amazon HD till now as bubbleupnp can't connect to it.

I am now using 90% of the time Neutron player more than UAPP.... I really enjoy Neutron Player to be able to create libraries from any external SSD drives which UAPP or Bubbleupnp can't (you can read music folders but not integrate the SSD in the library like Neutron can do).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,068 of 1,375
I used to stream from tidal to neutron using mconnect app and neutron correctly did the full mqa unfold, but now only recognizes the track as FLAC. UAPP with the mqa addon correctly recognizes the MQA flag.
All Neutron does for local playback of MQA encoded files, is read the original sample rate tag and encoder tag containing "MQAEncode v1.1" and sets the output frequency accordingly.
From changelog for Neutron v1.99.0 : detect MQA track and expand it to the original frame rate if hw supports it.

Take an MQA album originally in 44.1kHz, for example Daft Punk's Tron Legacy OST Complete Edition (link to this release on Tidal)
For this album, UAPP sets output frequency to 88.2kHz, Neutron sets output frequency to 44.1 kHz.
Whatever processing the MQA add-on in UAPP does, is not happening here in Neutron.

I'm pretty sure the proprietary unfold stuff is subject to licensing from Meridian, and that's why it's an in-app purchase for UAPP, and in Neutron it's a much more basic reading of tags and setting of output frequency.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,069 of 1,375
Since the last Android update, Neutron is unfortunately no longer working properly.

1. The volume can no longer be adjusted, if you are not in the Neutron Player.

2. The music stops after a few minutes, after the display is off.

Hardware: S21 Ultra, Hidizs S9

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,070 of 1,375
Since the last Android update, Neutron is unfortunately no longer working properly.

1. The volume can no longer be adjusted, if you are not in the Neutron Player.

2. The music stops after a few minutes, after the display is off.

Hardware: S21 Ultra, Hidizs S9
Hello.

The second seems like power saving setting on the phone. Perhaps you could check Android settings and turn off power savings for Neutron ?

I propose you write email to the developer if that does not help: neutronmp@gmail.com

Or ask in the Neutron forum: https://neutroncode.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=0242831ea79f805e6de2db2a8a152060

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #1,071 of 1,375
In the meantime, I was able to eliminate No.1. Under Settings, Apps, Neutron Player, Battery, you have to go from "Optimized" to "not restricted".

Dec 18, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,072 of 1,375
Hi guys i have a question, im using neutron on ios with chord mojo and i want to get best sound quality (most accurate) that i could get without any dsp.
my settings now:
playback/64 bit processing - on
playback/resampling - audiophile (instead of quality)
profile/bitperfect - digital usb -on,
profile/device, usb mojo -on
audio hardware/follow source frequency - on
audio hardware/32 bit out ieee754 - off

and thats it, anything should i change? What about 64 bit processing? it should be on or off...

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #1,073 of 1,375
Hi guys i have a question, im using neutron on ios with chord mojo and i want to get best sound quality (most accurate) that i could get without any dsp.
Hello.

For best quality with Mojo, go to Audio Hardware in settings.

Then all options down to 'Direct Usb Access' option off.

Now here the important things:

- Direct Usb Access On.
- DSD over PCM (DoP) On. Click on it for more options. PCM to DSD on. Native DSD - turn on as well. Volume control off. PCM to DSD click on it for more options. DSD256 on. Depending on the host device you may need or not need the Multithreaded Processing. Apply changes but don't play music yet.
- Oversampling Off.
- Follow Source Frequency off.

That's it.

Basically i am suggesting you upsample to DSD 256 and these up are the settings for this. Very important is to turn off follow source frequency off otherwise it will not upsample. And may need to go to profile and change it to 'Default' as well.

and thats it, anything should i change? What about 64 bit processing? it should be on or off...
Is good to be on. For DSD128 or 64 or if you use equalizer. For 256 you don't need it necessarily (again good to be on if can).

If you can run these settings depends on the host device and if it can't DSD256 (you get clicks and distorted sound), then try 64 bit processing on with DSD128.

With this you get more detailed sound. Everything is better pronounced. I dare say big improvement. Will depend on your headphones or speakers if you hear it though.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,074 of 1,375
Thanks for reply, now i have another question. I was comparing neutron on the same song, the same settings, same dac but on different platforms.
Tab s6 - everything ok, very neutral sound
13 pro max - sound totally different, more like V shaped... its nothing about neutral sound...
This is not small different, its very noticeable like listening on akg k518 and comparing them to some reference beyers...
My question is what is wrong, how it is even possible, on both devices bitstreaming to dac...
Its very weird for me, someone have any idea?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,075 of 1,375
Hello.

For best quality with Mojo, go to Audio Hardware in settings.

Then all options down to 'Direct Usb Access' option off.

Now here the important things:

- Direct Usb Access On.
- DSD over PCM (DoP) On. Click on it for more options. PCM to DSD on. Native DSD - turn on as well. Volume control off. PCM to DSD click on it for more options. DSD256 on. Depending on the host device you may need or not need the Multithreaded Processing. Apply changes but don't play music yet.
- Oversampling Off.
- Follow Source Frequency off.

That's it.

Basically i am suggesting you upsample to DSD 256 and these up are the settings for this. Very important is to turn off follow source frequency off otherwise it will not upsample. And may need to go to profile and change it to 'Default' as well.

Is good to be on. For DSD128 or 64 or if you use equalizer. For 256 you don't need it necessarily (again good to be on if can).

If you can run these settings depends on the host device and if it can't DSD256 (you get clicks and distorted sound), then try 64 bit processing on with DSD128.

With this you get more detailed sound. Everything is better pronounced. I dare say big improvement. Will depend on your headphones or speakers if you hear it though.
In essence you are recommending to bypass Rob Watts and all DSP implemented in Mojo, including WTA filters!
DSD is just filtered to analogue in Mojo!
certainly your suggestion is one way of doing it, but I argue if it yields best results.
I am certain Mr Watts would be in my quarter !

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #1,076 of 1,375
Thanks for reply, now i have another question. I was comparing neutron on the same song, the same settings, same dac but on different platforms.
13 pro max - sound totally different, more like V shaped... its nothing about neutral sound...
This is not small different, its very noticeable like listening on akg k518 and comparing them to some reference beyers...
My question is what is wrong, how it is even possible, on both devices bitstreaming to dac...
It could be that the S6 internal sound processing is active, also implies you are not sending bit-perfect to Mojo.
just guessing .

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,077 of 1,375
In essence you are recommending to bypass Rob Watts and all DSP implemented in Mojo, including WTA filters!
DSD is just filtered to analogue in Mojo!
certainly your suggestion is one way of doing it, but I argue if it yields best results.
I am certain Mr Watts would be in my quarter !
Right, so it is. I recommend everyone to try it and see how goes. You could try it as well. No need the 64bit processing, it is as good as it gets with 32 + DSD256. Try it. Try it if not for anything else just for the sake of testing. Plus you can always go back to PCM after and change your settings again.

No EQ right. Just give it a try. I would like to know what you think and how sounds on your headphones. You tried the oversampling in the past and i was thinking for the test it will be interesting for you to try the PCM to DSD as well. Mainly listen for better pronounced details and the soundstage changes, goes more wide than normal for Mojo without being artificial and is generally better placed.

Yeah, is true thing. Is not imagination. This is why i don't believe in bit-perfect in general. I saw same DAC with same music player and same settings has different sound with another host device (is not Neutron specific). So i think is something to do with the voltage output of the host device <<< Is such thing possible @Kentajalli ? Could different host device has slight variation in the output voltage when we use the USB connection and from there to come difference in sound. As i understand the information that is sended to the DAC is the same. But from experience there are differences. We have same setup only different host device and the sound is not the same. The differences are minor, but not unnoticeable.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,078 of 1,375
Ok, so from my observation bit-perfect is working on android only, when i got notification i cannot hear the sound of them during playback and music sound the same like on pc with asio bitstream, on iphone i can hear all minor sounds during playback... Im just curious only i have that problem or its common on iphone... If i cannot listening music on that ill sell it... I have to try deferent player with bit streaming.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,079 of 1,375
Right, so it is. I recommend everyone to try it and see how goes. You could try it as well. No need the 64bit processing, it is as good as it gets with 32 + DSD256. Try it. Try it if not for anything else just for the sake of testing. Plus you can always go back to PCM after and change your settings again.

No EQ right. Just give it a try. I would like to know what you think and how sounds on your headphones. You tried the oversampling in the past and i was thinking for the test it will be interesting for you to try the PCM to DSD as well. Mainly listen for better pronounced details and the soundstage changes, goes more wide than normal for Mojo without being artificial and is generally better placed.

Yeah, is true thing. Is not imagination. This is why i don't believe in bit-perfect in general. I saw same DAC with same music player and same settings has different sound with another host device (is not Neutron specific). So i think is something to do with the voltage output of the host device <<< Is such thing possible @Kentajalli ? Could different host device has slight variation in the output voltage when we use the USB connection and from there to come difference in sound. As i understand the information that is sended to the DAC is the same. But from experience there are differences. We have same setup only different host device and the sound is not the same. The differences are minor, but not unnoticeable.
OK , I shall try it.
re your second point, the only way a different host can affect tone is through some kind oh eq or dsp .
digital audio is pretty robust! cables, the odd RF, usb or spdif can not alter it.
so the answer to your question is No.

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #1,080 of 1,375
OK , I shall try it.
re your second point, the only way a different host can affect tone is through some kind oh eq or dsp .
digital audio is pretty robust! cables, the odd RF, usb or spdif can not alter it.
so the answer to your question is No.
Ok, thanks for answering man.

Yeah, curious to know your opinion sometime later on this, is there difference. Give it 2-3 hours and try some of your favorite music and recordings. If hear anything is better with these settings on the Mojo, you could try if Hugo 2 behaves same ? That would be interesting as well.

Ok, so from my observation bit-perfect is working on android only, when i got notification i cannot hear the sound of them during playback and music sound the same like on pc with asio bitstream, on iphone i can hear all minor sounds during playback... Im just curious only i have that problem or its common on iphone... If i cannot listening music on that ill sell it... I have to try deferent player with bit streaming.
Apologies, i can't say anything about IOS or Apple devices. I don't have any such and can't test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back