Android: Neutron Music Player
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #421 of 1,374
Using these settings on my LG G4!

What's downstream in the audio chain from the G4? Note that it's for the LCD-2, and amp distortion if any wasn't yet taken into account.

Does Neutron apply a Q value greater than 1? I know JRiver doesn't, but these are different parametric EQs so perhaps this isn't the case in Neutron.

I haven't put in a Q-factor value that was rejected or altered by NMP, but then again, I only use 0.8 to 2.0.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #422 of 1,374

What's downstream in the audio chain from the G4? Note that it's for the LCD-2, and amp distortion if any wasn't yet taken into account.

I haven't put in a Q-factor value that was rejected or altered by NMP, but then again, I only use 0.8 to 2.0.

It might not get rejected, just ignored past 1. I will try to post a question about this in the Neutron forums if I remember.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #423 of 1,374
  It might not get rejected, just ignored past 1.

Regardless, Neutron hasn't changed, rejected, ignored, or whatever, any Q-Factor value I've put in, and I've tried 0.4 to 2.8 actually, although the settings that remained are between 0.8 and 2.0, the reason being that I can hear how bad it gets if I'm trying to be too precise with trimming narrow spikes.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #424 of 1,374

Regardless, Neutron hasn't changed, rejected, ignored, or whatever, any Q-Factor value I've put in, and I've tried 0.4 to 2.8 actually, although the settings that remained are between 0.8 and 2.0, the reason being that I can hear how bad it gets if I'm trying to be too precise with trimming narrow spikes.

So can you detect a difference say between a Q value of 1 and a Q of 2? Thanks.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #426 of 1,374
So far I have one big complaint about Neutron. When using it with a UPnP source, in particular using Bubble to get to my Google All Music streaming account there are two problems. The same can be said for using my NAS server.
1) If I try to find music by any means other than Folder, each song shows up many times and makes that usage totally useless.
2) If I access an album by way of folder, then all songs are in alphabetical order, not track order. That is totally annoying.
They get 2 angry simleys for that.
mad.gif

mad.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #428 of 1,374
  Very sad this player is not working with my Mojo

Note 4

If I select the usb function the playback is in fast forward like 4 times the normal play speed. Like the Chipmunks on meth
mad.gif

Not just Mojo, Neutron's USB driver is very buggy (I have tested it on every version since the feature was released) with just about every USB DAC I regularly use with other apps. It either crashes on first use or behaves radically. So far it is pretty much unusable.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #429 of 1,374

Not just Mojo, Neutron's USB driver is very buggy (I have tested it on every version since the feature was released) with just about every USB DAC I regularly use with other apps. It either crashes on first use or behaves radically. So far it is pretty much unusable.

I love the G.U.I customization so finding it does everything but work with my Mojo sucks. UAPP works fine but I'd prefer Neutron if the usb function was stable.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #430 of 1,374
  So far I have one big complaint about Neutron. When using it with a UPnP source, in particular using Bubble to get to my Google All Music streaming account there are two problems. The same can be said for using my NAS server.
1) If I try to find music by any means other than Folder, each song shows up many times and makes that usage totally useless.
2) If I access an album by way of folder, then all songs are in alphabetical order, not track order. That is totally annoying.
They get 2 angry simleys for that.
mad.gif

mad.gif

I have the exact same same issue with USB Audio Player via DLNA using MyBook Live as NAS.  Tried both Bubble and MyCloud as media servers

Which NAS are you using?

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #431 of 1,374
  I have the exact same same issue with USB Audio Player via DLNA using MyBook Live as NAS.  Tried both Bubble and MyCloud as media servers

Which NAS are you using?

I'm using both Bubble on my Android devices as well as Twonky on my NAS. USBAPP has seen some recent fixes for UPnP and is looking pretty nice, except for the annoying delay in starting playback of a selected song and frequent skipping ahead to the next song.
USBAPP nor MediaMonkey (Android) have the 2 annoying problems that Neutron suffers from.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #433 of 1,374
I love the sound of Neutron as well, I have used it for several years now. Recently I have learned that Neutron uses the SoC on the CPU for DSP in software as it has no access to the DAC on devices. Both surprising and a little disappointing, but hey, if it sounds this good I guess it is a non-issue.

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #434 of 1,374
  I'm using both Bubble on my Android devices as well as Twonky on my NAS. USBAPP has seen some recent fixes for UPnP and is looking pretty nice, except for the annoying delay in starting playback of a selected song and frequent skipping ahead to the next song.
USBAPP nor MediaMonkey (Android) have the 2 annoying problems that Neutron suffers from.

I gave Neutron another shot.  Updated theTwonky definitions.xml on my MyBook Live NAS to ensure it supported folder view sorted by by track number.  
https://community.wd.com/t/twonky-sorting-music-in-folder-mode-still/57163/2

Neutron sorted tracks in folders in correct order, as did Bubble and WD My Cloud app.   UAPP did not rendering it useless unless playing from an SD or on device memory.

Unfortunately, Neutron couldn't properly build the folder structure (all other apps could).  Several of my folders start with "Rock,..." and it amalgamated these all into one and it completely missed some other folders.  Also took 2 hours to build (Bubble doesn't).  

I rebuilt the Twonky media database on the NAS overnight, tried again, and still Neutron could not build proper folder structures but it was a mess in a completely different way.  Every other app had no problem.  So, had to ditch it.  Too bad as the PEQ looks to be extremely useful

This is all on a Samsung galaxy Note 10.1 2014.  

Does anyone know of an Android App (free or not) that has PEQ and handles large music databases > 1TB from DLNA correctly: folder view, sorted by track order?  Surprised one doesn't seem exist given the many many millions of Android devices out there

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #435 of 1,374
Sorry to bring this thread back up.

I've heard that Neutron bypasses device DAC because it uses lots of CPU power for DSP.  Is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back