Android: Neutron Music Player
Feb 11, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #436 of 1,374
Originally Posted by SPLWF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bring this thread back up.

I've heard that Neutron bypasses device DAC because it uses lots of CPU power for DSP.  Is this true?

DSP means Digital Signal Processor. When it comes out of it it's still in Digital, so you still need to do a Digital to Analogue Conversion process. If you hook up an earphone to the phone, you use the phone's audio chip; if you hook up the phone to an external DAC via USB OTG, then you use the external DAC.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #437 of 1,374
Ahh, got you, thanks for the quick reply.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #438 of 1,374
  Ahh, got you, thanks for the quick reply.

And yes, Neutron does do the heavy lifting on the CPU and in the case of a phone, the DAC will also happen on the CPU as they have integrated audio processing built into the SoC. What I am unclear about is whether or not the hardware DAC on say an Android DAP would be used at all by Neutron. I see no reason why it would, I would think the CPU audio SoC would be able to output directly to the amp so I really don't know. I mention this as this seems to be what some people suggest happens: Neutron does DSP on CPU sends stream to hardware DAC (if installed on device) then DAC sends analogue stream to the amplifier section. I just don't know why Neutron or the device firmware would bother with a hardware DAC at all unless it is forced to do so to get to the amplifier section?

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #439 of 1,374

And yes, Neutron does do the heavy lifting on the CPU and in the case of a phone, the DAC will also happen on the CPU as they have integrated audio processing built into the SoC. What I am unclear about is whether or not the hardware DAC on say an Android DAP would be used at all by Neutron. I see no reason why it would, I would think the CPU audio SoC would be able to output directly to the amp so I really don't know. I mention this as this seems to be what some people suggest happens: Neutron does DSP on CPU sends stream to hardware DAC (if installed on device) then DAC sends analogue stream to the amplifier section. I just don't know why Neutron or the device firmware would bother with a hardware DAC at all unless it is forced to do so to get to the amplifier section?

Look at this flow chart

http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/android-audio-diagram-dac.jpg

Neutron just improves DSP using CPU power and sends to internal DAC as you said.  It just make the SQ sound better because it's using that extra CPU power.  My question is, is the internal DAC getting rid of the great DSP SQ from the CPU load and just converting it back to stock DAC output SQ?  Or is it adding more SQ to that already DSP SQ from the CPU?

Or does this make more sense?

http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/android-audio-architecture.jpg

Source:  http://geeknizer.com/complete-guide-to-android-smartphone-audiophile/

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #440 of 1,374
  Look at this flow chart

http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/android-audio-diagram-dac.jpg

Neutron just improves DSP using CPU power and sends to internal DAC as you said.  It just make the SQ sound better because it's using that extra CPU power.  My question is, is the internal DAC getting rid of the great DSP SQ from the CPU load and just converting it back to stock DAC output SQ?  Or is it adding more SQ to that already DSP SQ from the CPU?

Or does this make more sense?

http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/android-audio-architecture.jpg

Source:  http://geeknizer.com/complete-guide-to-android-smartphone-audiophile/

Not sure, most smartphones will not have a separate hardware DAC section, they rely on the CPU to do the audio processing, at least that is my understanding presently. That I believe is the domain that Neutron operates in, strictly software based DSP that utilizes the CPU. I read the link and looked at the charts, but none seemed to address the situation found in say the LG V10 where the CPU would of course still have audio processing abilities, b there is also a separate hardware DAC section, or a DAP such as the FiiO X7 or ONKYO DP-X1, again, both have a hardware DAC that is used by the stock music player, as well as the CPU based audio processing capabilities.

If Android has both the CPU audio processing abilities and a dedicated hardware DAC section why would a program like Neutron be able to use the hardware DAC section? I'm not sure it can or can't, I just don't know. Obviously the developer of Neutron has no idea what hardware beyond the OS the software will be installed on so that seems to suggest you can only program the player to rely on standard audo handling as provided by the OS and the path it provides to the CPU. Neutron can't know about the unexpected hardware DAC. My question is can the phone or DAP have code that looks for any audio output to the CPU and instead takes it into the hardware DAC if one is installed.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #441 of 1,374
Does neutron transmit bitperfect to mojo? Its loading all my cover art correctly which is a relief, if it can also transmit bit perfect i'll be sold. I noticed it has resampling perpetually on(unable to disable, you can only select between options) this makes me think it isnt bit perfect.

Im basically going through the app and turning off eveything I see that does something to the audio, like dithering, focus, etc.

What I'm after is basically what UAPP does, straight output to dac with no sampling/processing from phone.

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #442 of 1,374
If someone could please help me, neutron was working fine outputting yo my dac, now it sounds terrible and my dac is telling me its outputting dsd. Ive tried everything including uninstalling. I'm on s7 edge.

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #443 of 1,374
Hi, I've been using Neutron on my Moto G for some time now and while it does work great, I have a question. There seem to be a lot of smart people here and I've havent gotten an answer to this anywhere else... perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.

I use Neutron to play a large group of mp3 files in a shuffle order. The files were all ripped from my own CD library. I connect the Moto thru Bluetooth to my car stereo. This sounds great, the audio quality is very nice.

However I keep having to reach for the Bass knob on the car stereo. While the relative volumes of all the songs are the same, the bass levels are not. Some have not enough bass and some have so much it rattles the speaker.

Is there a setting in Neutron that would eliminate this issue, or help resolve it? Ideally I'd use some sort of limiter/compressor on a set range of frequencies, like 32 to 128hz, and have a minimum and maximum output for those frequencies... but that sounds like a multi-band compressor and I dont think Neutron has one.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can achieve this, instead of reaching for the bass knob to turn it up or down?

thanks for any responses.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #444 of 1,374
Does neutron transmit bitperfect to mojo? Its loading all my cover art correctly which is a relief, if it can also transmit bit perfect i'll be sold. I noticed it has resampling perpetually on(unable to disable, you can only select between options) this makes me think it isnt bit perfect.

Im basically going through the app and turning off eveything I see that does something to the audio, like dithering, focus, etc.

What I'm after is basically what UAPP does, straight output to dac with no sampling/processing from phone.

Did you find an answer? I just got a ZuperDAC usb dac and hooked it up to my S5 phone. I already had Neutron onmy phone so I tried it out and it sounds great. But, I'm not sure if it's bit perfect. For that matter, the S5's native music player sounds great too but I'm not sure if it's bit perfect either (this stuff is new to me). I don't really care which app I use, but I would like to know if it's outputting bit perfect to the dac.

May 5, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #447 of 1,374
Hey guys
How can I play an album? Neutron only shows me the title list, and I don´t know how to get to the album list. Help! 
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #449 of 1,374
Top right of play screen, hit the folder icon. Arrow with the lines. That will bring you to another screen, hit the back button in Neutron. You'll see album, artist, etc., there.

The thing is, when I look there, it shows only 6 albums, and I have round about 40 on my sd card. Do you know how I can rescan the library?

May 5, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #450 of 1,374
I think it is Settings, Media Library, Sources, refresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back