Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #2,131 of 3,813
Ian

I am now sourcing the TU-05 from the HEX dac....and for IEMs., it's WOW!

Really speechless at how good the TU-05 is!!!

Oh wow! The 05 rises to another higher bar than the 120. Isn't it great when you have equipment that does that! I am interested in how you feel the HEX DAC is in comparison to the 120. I Know they are different beasts but it would be interesting as when I eventually do move back to Europe I will be looking at a home system again.

If you have a look at this..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/2025#post_9781785

I know my attempt is amateur and one can purchase higher quality isolation platforms but with a source of the quality of the HEX I really recommend trying some isolation with the amp. I think I have found the perfect combination of granite base to which 4 Oak cones are placed upon some Blu tak which they has a layer of marine ply on top (blu tac is top and bottom of the oak cones) then three larger oak cones are placed as you can see in the picture.

This has dropped any slight noises from tubes to zero. I truly feel the amp deserves some form of isolation to really allow it to shine even more and I can report that this form or something similar is far superior to having hard isolation as in stillpoints and such. The tubes need a visco-elastic damping somewhere in the chain which really makes them very quiet I have found.

I am so glad your enjoying the amp!

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #2,132 of 3,813
Oh wow! The 05 rises to another higher bar than the 120. Isn't it great when you have equipment that does that! I am interested in how you feel the HEX DAC is in comparison to the 120. I Know they are different beasts but it would be interesting as when I eventually do move back to Europe I will be looking at a home system again.

If you have a look at this..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/2025#post_9781785

I know my attempt is amateur and one can purchase higher quality isolation platforms but with a source of the quality of the HEX I really recommend trying some isolation with the amp. I think I have found the perfect combination of granite base to which 4 Oak cones are placed upon some Blu tak which they has a layer of marine ply on top (blu tac is top and bottom of the oak cones) then three larger oak cones are placed as you can see in the picture.

This has dropped any slight noises from tubes to zero. I truly feel the amp deserves some form of isolation to really allow it to shine even more and I can report that this form or something similar is far superior to having hard isolation as in stillpoints and such. The tubes need a visco-elastic damping somewhere in the chain which really makes them very quiet I have found.

I am so glad your enjoying the amp!

This is temporary, but I will need to get organized when other components comes in............thanks
normal_smile .gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #2,133 of 3,813
Now that I am primarily using the the TU-05 as a desktop, I can't wait for the Coffman-Labs H1-A to come in and have a good listening seesion between the two.............................

I am won over by the three 3.5mm inputs on the H1-A, which would be great for the RWAK 120S and 100S that I have 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,134 of 3,813
  Now that I am primarily using the the TU-05 as a desktop, I can't wait for the Coffman-Labs H1-A to come in and have a good listening seesion between the two.............................

I am won over by the three 3.5mm inputs on the H1-A, which would be great for the RWAK 120S and 100S that I have 
bigsmile_face.gif

There is an excellent review on Head-Fi about the Coffman headphone amp but the reviewer had limited exposure to other tube amps.  I will be very interested to read your comments about how the H1-A compares to the TU-05 or other amps that you might have heard.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,136 of 3,813
WC, thanks for you comment on my photo, from you that is high praise indeed!

I just wanted to share some thoughts on this Audioquest interconnect I got today. I had read a report on it in Stereophile and seeing as it is not that expensive and my local dealer had a small sale on the Audioquest stuff I thought I would give it a go!

Its a bit long but they only had meter lengths in stock but that has turned out to be handy as I can easily pick up my AK120 to change albums now. Its the sound, or rather lack of sound that gets me with this little cheap interconnect.

In comparison to this one the Cardas I have seems too smooth and the Kimber too rough. They both add something and as far as I can tell the Audioquest seems to add nothing which is what one wants really! The sound is transparent, open, free from grain and it just allows the music to hang in space for all to be seen. Stage depth with this cable is wonderful, very three dimensional for a headphone but there are no sonic artifacts and that is what I cannot get over for a cable so reasonably priced.

it appears to be well made and unlike the Switchcraft connectors on the Kimber the connectors on the Audioquest are easy to insert and take out. I have never liked the connectors on the Kimber. I know they are meant to be higher end but I just think they feel rough in use and feel like they could damage player or amp.

I have tested this cable on the combination of tubes I know and love best. Phillips/Lorenz so I know their sonic traits and this stuff just seems to open a window on all that goodness!

Highly recommended. I payed $32 including tax for my pair but I think the normal price is $35 plus tax in Canada. Highly recommended!

That cable sounds very interesting. Is it a substantial improvement over the Epiphany cable (I vaguely remember that you also used this)?

Could you please also tell me the name of the cable in question.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,137 of 3,813

I guess you've seen BMichel's rig? It seems to be what you're after...the TU-05b + TH-900 and AK120 I think (or was it the modded RWAK120?).

I have talked to Shikada-san about the CE approval actually. Good point on where that's up. Maybe Ianmedium may know. He seems to talk to Shikada-san more than me (despite me being in the same country :p).

We had the same discussion before my amp was sent to me. in the past i for some years took the responsiblility as leader marketing and production (pc industry) for ce certifications of all products manufactured.

To get the tu-05 imported without problems in europe there
- only needs to be a CE sign on the amp itself
- a CE conformity declaration by the manufacturer

BUT
- at least if the manufacturer is within europe CE conformity will be randomly tested, reviewed and also checked, if the CE conformaty declaration is based on good hope or good measurement and external certification like TÜV.
- for importing japanese electronics to Europe i can´t imagine that shikada-san´s CE certification would be reviewed because out of reach for european institutions.
- another point is, that i am sure, that shikada-san will only certify CE certification when really achieved

BUT
- a CE certification is always valid for exactly the same product. if you change the color of a single wire, add one hole, use a different solder or tubes, whatever, CE certification has do be done again.

ON THE OTHER HAND
- a CE certification is only needed for ready to use products, where you connect them to power or just switch them on.
- the CE certification has to be provided by the last manufacturer in the chain that delivers a working and usuable product.

SO
- A tube amp DIY kit does not need a CE conformaty declaration by the seller, as the parts usally have it and he is the seller, not the manufacturer.

Maybe a TU-05 partly preassembled but not working DIY tube amplifier kit (which means so NOT inserting the tubes before sending the amp out, so the kit consists of a very partly preassembled amp (just the tubes missing) + tubes could solve the problem.

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2,138 of 3,813
Thanks for the DIY tip GermanGuy! I'll guess I'll be able to put the tubes in place myself. :wink:

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,140 of 3,813
That cable sounds very interesting. Is it a substantial improvement over the Epiphany cable (I vaguely remember that you also used this)?

Could you please also tell me the name of the cable in question.

I have not used the Epiphany cable, must admit I have not heard of it before. Is it from the same company that makes the amps in the UK?

I think the thing is that the Audioquest is neither an improvement or worse than any other cable I have had. It simply, to my ears, does not impart a sonic trait like the others have done. I think the only thing I can say it add's is depth and space to the sonic but even then I don't think it is the cable "doing" that more that the cable gets out of the way so I can hear that in the recording.

Honestly I am still quite shocked at this, I have never given Audioquest a second glance as a cable company. I have always drifted toward the more exotic thinking it better. Now. Be aware the Kimber, Cardas and Toxic are the only aftermarket cables I have really tried (a friend gave me what turns out to be a Nordost clone interconnect which again, imparts a smoothing sound). All added or took away, the Audioquest as I said seems to my ears to do nothing other than convey what is there in the recording or what the equipment conveys.

I have to say this is the most satisfied I have been in the sound coming out of a pair of headphones and though all the components are a part of that it was not until I put this little audioquest cable in that everything just fell into place.. Amazing for a cable under $40 and I must admit it is getting me to reevaluate my thoughts on the higher end cables now!

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2,142 of 3,813
3Q4's???

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,143 of 3,813
Thanks for your thoughts. Portability is a huge plus in my book. I listen to music in different parts of my house. I have a AK120, so I'm not so keen on spending money on the dac side of WA7. But I will check out a bit more of what other headfiers thinks about it.

The only thing I worry about is if the customs in Norway will stop equipment without CE approvement... Are there anyone here from Norway who has bought such gear?

Eide, I have the same concern than you: I want to be able to transport my audio set-up from rooms to rooms, or even under the Patio, and I also have a TH900.

For that purpose, I initialy bought the redWineAudio Bellina-PRO-HPA:  DAC+AMP running on battery. I took ALL the possible options:  SE + Balanced output & 24/192 DAC.  I even upgraded it with a MiniWatt tube recommended by Vinnie (there is ONE tube inside) and I also requested to have the all new electronics (new version early 2013) in the "old" metal case because I did not like his brand new "wood chassis". Too exotic/kitch for me !

It is a great set-up when associated with my RWAK100 + Toslink.    Very powerfull !

and, with the appropriate carrying case, it can even be organised into a complete PORtable setup to carry away for the WK.

But... now I also have the TU-05, and I have to admit that I get more excited with the TU-05 because of this tube rolling possibility that makes things much more fun IMO.  Also, I appreciate the extra portability.

So, now I have one too many portable set-up !   If you are interested by my RWA Bellina-PRO-HPA, PM me...  
(and since it will be shipped from Belgium, there is no CE custom issues
wink.gif
 )

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,144 of 3,813
Well this is quite a revelation for me! Since getting my amp back I am rediscovering its joys and finding new ones.

I am very glad that you got your " precious " back.  Now you can have fun with us again...

What tube combo have you used for this new start ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back