Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,922 of 3,813
Quote:
Well this is exciting! On behalf of a new member, indrakula, who has just received his new TU-05 from Shikada san.

His amp has two unique features and I think first for this amp. The most obvious is the wonderful gold colour, I think Shikada San hit the nail on the head of replicating exotic Japanese amps that have traditionally been finished in this colour.
The other unique feature that I hope indrakula can explain more about is is a USB power mode so he can use any USB power adaptor or get power direct from his computer. I actually think this is a great feature.

So here is the picture, the labels on it are ones indrakula has applied.. Oh yes, he says also that the synergy of the stock line out on the AK120 is wonderful as well. Now all we have to do is introduce indrakula to the ways of tube rolling
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks Ian for this post, as i am new to this forum and had no idea how to start a new thread or post my thoughts on TU-05G. Always wanted to have a tube amp. Read few reviews on Shikada's master piece and thought of ordering one. Glad i did :). This is a great amp and as Ian mentioned, i can play around with different tubes. Before that i need to understand the function and types of tubes that are compatible with TU-05, will take some time i guess.

Placed order on June 20 2013 and after a long wait received this unit today. Fast shipping, just 4 days from Japan to UK....Actually i had placed an order for silver color, but after few weeks i noticed that Shikada has introduced this amp in Gold color which was my fav and also it goes well with orange LED and tube glow color. Since i am in IT, most of my gadgets gets power from USB, so thought first i should ask Shikada if we can manage to fit this in. It was a YES, so i was happy to pay extra charges for this option. This is a USB 5V port that can take power from any 5V USB output port for e.g Laptops, PC;s, smartphone USB chargers etc... Also i had requested Shikada to make me 5V AC adapter so that i can power this unit in car or from 5V AC adapter(optional but i wanted to have one so was happy to pay extra charges) . So this unit came with 5V USB power(No battery charge, but unit will operate on USB power-Slight low volume level) and usual 12V(battery charge-Usual volume level). Using 5V or 12V should not make any difference in sound but volume level. Printed custom labels as identifiers so that it is easy to operate...

Mostly i am planning to use this amp at home so USB bus power is a very usefull option. I have been using this amp with Astell & Kern AK120(FLAC 24bit 96000Hz) and it sounded very natural and warm, instrument separation is good. Although AK120 is a great player but using AK120 along with this amp makes it even better. I have used Shure SE535, which are decent in ear monitors, but i should receive Shure SE846 shortly. I am hoping that SE846 will be a good match for this amp.

Thanks,
Indra

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #1,923 of 3,813
indrakula - my latest and updated tube compatibility list can be found here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632518/analog-paper-2-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/1875#post_9757745

ianmedium has converted his first post in this thread into an index page also with some links to different tube combo impressions.

it's post no.3 on page one of this thread.

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,925 of 3,813
some tubes worth listening to:

df91 - mullard
df904 - telefunken
df91 - rt radiotechnique
df96 - lorenz (not to get)

df97 - rft  (with modification pin 4 and pin 5 connected)

dl92 - philips
dl92 - rt radiotechnique
dl92 - mullard
3s4 - tung-sol mil spec
3s4t - orion

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #1,927 of 3,813
Quote:
I like to see all Your briliant Idea Here In TU - 05 thread , Without you and Ian This thread is not so Life like now .

I am quiet because as thread starter not buy TU - 05
biggrin.gif

The reason i have already desktop Tube amp from Germany T+ A and My works a Lot of Mobile to control My carpenters , thats why i buy many portable gears

I don't post as often here, as it would be a redundant series of praise for this great amp.

A couple of thoughts.

The craftsmanship on this amp is fabulous. Every time I take it off of my shelf and take it to work or to my dining room table for late night listening, I continue to be impressed not only with the design but also the build quality.

As far as tube rolling goes, I have not had nearly enough time to assess the qualities of my tube selection. But I have tried several, and I like Ian's 'icing on the cake' description. Adds a bit of a different flavour, but overall a similar sound signature.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,928 of 3,813
Thanks for your very informative post, as it's always nice to welcome another member to our happy band of thermionic brothers.

Please excuse my technical ignorance, but I've surmised that your amp is recharged solely by the 5v charge from a suitable USB source, is this correct?

This does seem like a very neat solution for the desktop audiophiles among us, as USB ports are pretty universal nowadays and carrying a suitable cable is extraordinarily easy.

So thanks again and welcome,

Cheers,
Andy.

Thanks Ian for this post, as i am new to this forum and had no idea how to start a new thread or post my thoughts on TU-05G. Always wanted to have a tube amp. Read few reviews on Shikada's master piece and thought of ordering one. Glad i did :). This is a great amp and as Ian mentioned, i can play around with different tubes. Before that i need to understand the function and types of tubes that are compatible with TU-05, will take some time i guess.

Placed order on June 20 2013 and after a long wait received this unit today. Fast shipping, just 4 days from Japan to UK....Actually i had placed an order for silver color, but after few weeks i noticed that Shikada has introduced this amp in Gold color which was my fav and also it goes well with orange LED and tube glow color. Since i am in IT, most of my gadgets gets power from USB, so thought first i should ask Shikada if we can manage to fit this in. It was a YES, so i was happy to pay extra charges for this option. This is a USB 5V port that can take power from any 5V USB output port for e.g Laptops, PC;s, smartphone USB chargers etc... Also i had requested Shikada to make me 5V AC adapter so that i can power this unit in car or from 5V AC adapter(optional but i wanted to have one so was happy to pay extra charges) . So this unit came with 5V USB power(No battery charge, but unit will operate on USB power-Slight low volume level) and usual 12V(battery charge-Usual volume level). Using 5V or 12V should not make any difference in sound but volume level. Printed custom labels as identifiers so that it is easy to operate...

Mostly i am planning to use this amp at home so USB bus power is a very usefull option. I have been using this amp with Astell & Kern AK120(FLAC 24bit 96000Hz) and it sounded very natural and warm, instrument separation is good. Although AK120 is a great player but using AK120 along with this amp makes it even better. I have used Shure SE535, which are decent in ear monitors, but i should receive Shure SE846 shortly. I am hoping that SE846 will be a good match for this amp.

Thanks,
Indra

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #1,929 of 3,813
Welcome indrakula, great to have you hear and I hope you have time to do some rolling and give us your thoughts.

I love this thread, this one and the FAD thread are my favourites as I feel they show to the fullest what community can bring to the table, thank you all for taking time to post and share your thoughts. I know Shikada san is an avid reader of this thread and takes on board all that is said.. Hence the modification to separate power switch.

indrakula, can you show us how the USB thing works with a picture. I would love to see that. I can see that becoming something standard on this amp as it then allows Shikada san not to worry about supplying a power adaptor (which must be difficult for a small one man band operation to do worldwide). Most of us have some sort of USB power supply hanging around, what does everyone think?

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,930 of 3,813
Feel free to disregard my comment as I don't own one of Shikada san's creations currently ... still waiting on some more comments from new owners and hoping that at some stage there may be a desktop version with moar power.  I like the idea of powering the unit from USB and would probably look at something like the iFi iUSB.  But if I am reading indrakula correctly then a 12V is still needed in order to charge the batteries?

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,931 of 3,813
the power supply delivered with the amp has 12 volt, 1.5 ampere. a standard usb port has 5 volt, 500 mA, so 18 watt for the power supply, the usb port having only 2.5 watt!

the voltage regulator inside the car adapter has an output voltage of  8.5 volt,  the internal battery consists of two lithium ion cells in line, so having 2x 3.7 = 7.4 volt,  impossible to charge with 5 volt usb port.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,932 of 3,813
YAY! My amp is on its way back to me!

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #1,934 of 3,813
Yes, we still need 12v adapter to charge batteries because 5v USB bus power is not capable of charging the baterries used in this unit. I really dont care about battery not being charged by USB when i am home. Why do we need battery when we are using this amp indorrs? I dont see any point. This is my understanding...:) . We dont need any adapters when using indorrs, you just need single usb cable. I have been using TU-05 only with USB so far and it works flawless. I am very happy that i had selected USB feature for my unit, makes my life easier.

Thanks,
Indra

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #1,935 of 3,813
Welcome indrakula. It is good to see new member in the " TU family ". I am sure you will enjoy your Amp. Myself was not so excited initialy and now it is my prefered amp. Better than my $ 3000 RWA desktop tube amp ! Very adictive ...

I Will be very interested to hear your comments about the Shure SE846. I need to upgrade my Westone ES3X !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back