Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 1, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #1,936 of 3,814
Welcome indrakula. It is good to see new member in the " TU family ". I am sure you will enjoy your Amp. Myself was not so excited initialy and now it is my prefered amp. Better than my $ 3000 RWA desktop tube amp ! Very adictive ...

I Will be very interested to hear your comments about the Shure SE846. I need to upgrade my Westone ES3X !

Thanks my friend, sure will update once i receive SE846,

Cheers,
Indra

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #1,937 of 3,814
Quote:
i am not that good using gimp, but what do you think?

GREAT looking project.   Once you have done it, I may follow your route and built myself my own amp.  With recabling inside with super-cables, XLR headphone plugs, ... and of course those super vu-meters.

But... how what are they for  (besides super look) ?  Can you use them for Tube biasing ? 

One improvement I may investigate is to have a Balanced amp.  Indeed, it looks like everything in this amp is doubles: one circuit for right and one circuit for left ?  is it correct ?  so may be we can apply a totally separate R/L input  (RWAK-120-B balanced) and have a balanced XLR phone output ? ( I don't know if it is "that easy" ?)

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #1,938 of 3,814
Quote:

GREAT looking project.   Once you have done it, I may follow your route and built myself my own amp.  With recabling inside with super-cables, XLR headphone plugs, ... and of course those super vu-meters.  
But... how what are they for  (besides super look) ?  Can you use them for Tube biasing ? 

One improvement I may investigate is to have a Balanced amp.  Indeed, it looks like everything in this amp is doubles: one circuit for right and one circuit for left ?  is it correct ?  so may be we can apply a totally separate R/L input  (RWAK-120-B balanced) and have a balanced XLR phone output ? ( I don't know if it is "that easy" ?)

great idea to use them for tube biasing, but they just show the left and right signal's level like old cassette decks. for a balanced amp you need twise the amplification stages, which means 2 tu-05, what is possible with the tu-05 is a double mono design.

this is a standard little dot amp:

this is the balanced version of a little dot amp:

balanced one channel buffer / amp:

a normal amp / input has ground and signal.
a balanced amp / input has -signal, +signal, virtual ground in the middle

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,939 of 3,814
indrakula just sent me some images of how he uses the USB thing!

Also he is using it with an iPhone back up battery so even if the amps battery runs out the amp can still be used. I think this is a great idea!

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,940 of 3,814
Quote:

great idea to use them for tube biasing, but they just show the left and right signal's level like old cassette decks. for a balanced amp you need twise the amplification stages, which means 2 tu-05, what is possible with the tu-05 is a double mono design.

this is the balanced version of a little dot amp:

balanced one channel buffer / amp:

a normal amp / input has ground and signal.
a balanced amp / input has -signal, +signal, virtual ground in the middle

Thanks for this brillant explanation.  Now I understand what is involved in "balanced amps".  

And.... by the Way, this little dot balanced looks GEORGEOUS !    I may want one... just for the pleasure of looking at it !   

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,941 of 3,814
indrakula, congratulations on the gold/champange TU-05. It looks great
size]

I feel as though my TU-05 have settled over the last days. It is sounding wonderful in it's portrayal of the vivid colours in the music I listen to.

The bass is way better than I had imagined it to be. Nice solidity and weight, whilst being very textured and resolving. Another impressive element of the TU-05 is it's ability to float images with such a great sense of palpability. I mentioned immediacy in a previous post, but in essence the note composition is handled so well by the TU-05, leading edge, body and decay is top notch providing a refined sense of realism. 

Also proportions and structure of sound stage all adds to an wonderful listening experience even at low volumes with my (C)IEMs......... 

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,944 of 3,814
I have no idea, just the ones sent with the amp
size]

Once I get more time with the amp, I will go to the tube shops locally with the amp and seek tubes and advice plus read up what's been posted thus far. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,945 of 3,814
indrakula, congratulations on the gold/champange TU-05. It looks great
size]

I feel as though my TU-05 have settled over the last days. It is sounding wonderful in it's portrayal of the vivid colours in the music I listen to.

The bass is way better than I had imagined it to be. Nice solidity and weight, whilst being very textured and resolving. Another impressive element of the TU-05 is it's ability to float images with such a great sense of palpability. I mentioned immediacy in a previous post, but in essence the note composition is handled so well by the TU-05, leading edge, body and decay is top notch providing a refined sense of realism. 

Also proportions and structure of sound stage all adds to an wonderful listening experience even at low volumes with my (C)IEMs......... 

I really like the way bass is portrayed with this amp, full of texture. Have you tried it with the PF's yet, boy oh boy, its like listening through loudspeakers!

Am going to catch up with 130+ pages of reading (already seen Anak's reviews). What is the import and customs damage for UK owners? Unsure whether to park my curiosity until the Tokyo holiday next year. My head says that would be wise anyway :p

Welcome LFC, I am sure Andy (smial) will come in with his experience as he is from the UK. Just to let you know that if you went the route of picking it up yourself you would still have to make the order in advance as Shikada san builds to order. I think the current wait time is around 7 weeks. He is just south of Tokyo I believe.

I have no idea, just the ones sent with the amp
size]

Once I get more time with the amp, I will go to the tube shops locally with the amp and seek tubes and advice plus read up what's been posted thus far. 

If yours are the same as indrakulas they will be Mil-spec Sylvania's. In all honesty though you can tune the sound with different tubes in my experience the Mil spec Syl's are awesome tubes and you would only notice tiny differences with other brands if my experience is anything to go by.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,946 of 3,814
ianmedium - i made a green color ring for my tu-05 and took some pictures, so at least you can see a tu-05 (sorry, mine is black
smile.gif
) with green led ring and orange shining tubes until your amp is back home:

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,947 of 3,814
Quote:
He is just south of Tokyo I believe.

My friend is teaching just south of Tokyo (whom I shall be visiting next spring). Stars aligning, all very significant etc etc

Was looking at RSA and Alo. Due to the shocking performance of the £, which continent makes no difference
rolleyes.gif
Early in the thread a member said they sold their Pan-Am due to TU-05 performance, that made me take notice.
Is it okay to be using either amp sitting on my bed as part of transportable rig? Am trying to disconnect myself from the desk and cords

Caught up to page 19 and found an answer on customs. AMAZING how the post count ratio of this thread shot up from Jan 2013 onwards. Ian it was like you was the only owner on Head-Fi at one point
tongue.gif
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smial1966 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There was no issue with customs clearance and my TU-05. Though it was labelled as `audio parts' and assigned a low value to avoid paying punitive import taxes. 

Cheers,
Andy.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,949 of 3,814
LFC, I just looked, he is in Suzuka city so it is a bit further south than I thought though from my memories of visiting Japan (wonderful country and people by the way, I loved every minute I was there) the internal transportation system is wonderful, best in the world and fast, super fast!

The post count did shoot up from Jan onwards. I believe I was the first owner on headfi at least. I am not sure but I think I may have been the first international owner though I stand to be corrected on that. My amp is Number 10.

Andy got his soon after which bumped up the numbers but it is the participation of new owners since June like GG and Bmichels that has really got this thread going along with Anak's excellent reviews.

Maybe you and Andy could meet up so you could try out the amp. I know he is very generous in that respect ( as I am sure he is in all other respects if my experience is anything to go by).

You can use the amp anywhere though us mad people love to experiment with isolation and such which does make a small difference the amp can be used anywhere. You should see the looks I get when I take it to my local coffee shop to listen, especially when the tubes are exposed!

In my experience you get around 7 hours from the batteries which is for me more than enough for my daily listening needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back