Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 31, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #1,907 of 3,814
the morning was rather boring so i decided to start with the implementation of a new modification, and while it's really prototype status the basic ideas behind and how to do it can be seen, so

dear thread members, here it is!

THE TU-05 WOODEN SIDE PANEL MOD

first of all i think it is nice looking to have wooden side panels, but secondly if you make the side panels slightly larger than the amp, it is like an integrated cradle or stand, it protects the amp from all sides, and as i used the same wood as for my base, some damping is included.

the wooden side panels are really in their prototype state, a lot of drilling, cutting, shaping and polishing has to be done to make them perfect, and the holders for a shoulder strap have to be made, so at the moment missing. also i want to integrate nuts in one side panel to be able to mount (or unmount) feets or damper feets when needed or wanted.

front view:

rear view:

side view:

i cut a stencil out of a piece of cardboard, measured the position and sizes of the holes to be drilled or shaped drawing everything on the stencil, then i used two screw clambs to press stencil and the two wood plates together to drill the holes directly through the stencil:

here the parts after drilling the holes:

the wooden side panels can easily be applied by just removing the four outer screws on both sides of the amp and then using longer ones (M2, 16 mm here) to assemble the side panels:

detailed view:

a lot of woodworking left to be done, but you can see how to do it, so much fun doing the same!

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,908 of 3,814
Quote:
Gratuliere fuer den Roehren Kolektionen
It ist wunderschoen den Rohren Kolektionen
Congrats For Your Tube collection
It is beautiful looking Your Tube collection
biggrin.gif

wow, it's the first time i see the thread starter posting here since i started posting, so welcome back!

hope you enjoy all the posts and ideas posted by the thread members (and sometimes me)!

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,909 of 3,814
wow, it's the first time i see the thread starter posting here since i started posting, so welcome back!

hope you enjoy all the posts and ideas posted by the thread members (and sometimes me)!

I like to see all Your briliant Idea Here In TU - 05 thread , Without you and Ian This thread is not so Life like now .

I am quiet because as thread starter not buy TU - 05 :D
The reason i have already desktop Tube amp from Germany T+ A and My works a Lot of Mobile to control My carpenters , thats why i buy many portable gears

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,910 of 3,814
Quote:

I too have found like GG I have favorites, I find it a moveable feast though as it depends on the mood I am in when listening. Sometimes I am in the mood for slightly darker tonal textures so the Mullards come to the for, sometimes light and airy and my German tubes enter the picture but for overall it has to be so far the Phillips/ Mazda that treads the fine line between extremes.

could not agree more! and after looking for the translation for 'feast' - the ceremony of choosing the headphone and tubes of the day to listen to music in the evening or at night is like selecting the menue and wine for dinner.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,911 of 3,814
Quote:
I like to see all Your briliant Idea Here In TU - 05 thread , Without you and Ian This thread is not so Life like now .

I am quiet because as thread starter not buy TU - 05
biggrin.gif

The reason i have already desktop Tube amp from Germany T+ A and My works a Lot of Mobile to control My carpenters , thats why i buy many portable gears

yes, i had a quick view on your much more than only impressive  inventory list and was wondering not to find the tu-05 listed, but the T+A tube amps .. wow, absolutely clear then not needing a second desktop like sounding tube amp!

thanks a lot for your appreciation especially of ianmedium's and my participation here, i feel really honored!

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,912 of 3,814
Quote:
could not agree more! and after looking for the translation for 'feast' - the ceremony of choosing the headphone and tubes of the day to listen to music in the evening or at night is like selecting the menue and wine for dinner.

So, now GG, you know your next BIG development :    A multi tubes supports with tubes selection by a rotary switch.  
size]

No more unplug/replug of the tubes, just rotate the 2 switch to change tubes (one for selection of the voltage tubes and one for selection of the power tubes) !!  
size]

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,913 of 3,814
Quote:

So, now GG, you know your next BIG development :    A multi tubes supports with tubes selection by a rotary switch.  
size]

No more unplug/replug of the tubes, just rotate the 2 switch to change tubes (one for selection of the voltage tubes and one for selection of the power tubes) !!  
size]

as you may have seen i posted this idea some time ago, really. but i will wait to implement this until my microprocessor controlled self learning universal player and id3 tag interface board with automatic mood detection sensor and rfid chip interface for auto tube detection and internet interface for missing recordings is ready to then autoselect tubes and music based on the music genre and personal mood!

ksc75smile.gif
eek.gif
deadhorse.gif

p.s. maybe buying six additional amps instead ?

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,914 of 3,814
Well this is exciting! On behalf of a new member, indrakula, who has just received his new TU-05 from Shikada san.

His amp has two unique features and I think first for this amp. The most obvious is the wonderful gold colour, I think Shikada San hit the nail on the head of replicating exotic Japanese amps that have traditionally been finished in this colour.
The other unique feature that I hope indrakula can explain more about is is a USB power mode so he can use any USB power adaptor or get power direct from his computer. I actually think this is a great feature.

So here is the picture, the labels on it are ones indrakula has applied.. Oh yes, he says also that the synergy of the stock line out on the AK120 is wonderful as well. Now all we have to do is introduce indrakula to the ways of tube rolling :veryevil: :D

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,916 of 3,814
Well, if it were silver then it would look like what I have said from day one this amp sounds like sonically... NAGRA! :D What would the VU meters be used for? I love the look of this, my only question is.. When are you going to build it Heath :D

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,917 of 3,814
to be honest, i already have sent shikada-san an email that i want to buy and get an offer for a black tu-05 case long version without any holes drilled and a second battery pack.

the vu meters to be used are the ones you see in the picture, the size will fit, at the moment i am looking for small front switches for power, powersave mode, light on/off, impedance, bias voltage.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,918 of 3,814
GG, I really encourage a silver case for this project, it will look like a mini Nagra and you will have my utmost envy! :D

What do you think of the gold case? I love it!

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,919 of 3,814
only black round vu meters available! sorry!

the gold case itself, or can i say the color, is nice looking, but it does not hide the hand made case style as good as black does. and i assume you must be very carefull because you will see the smallest scratch. i usually buy equipment with black color, even now after some weeks you will really see that my amp is used daily and has spent a lot of time on my workbench beeing modded.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,920 of 3,814
I think it terms of scratch resistance the silver is the best option as it is the raw metal. Always preferred silver or gold on audio myself. I remember the old Marantz gear, wonderful look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back