An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,426 of 1,488
I am good with a desoldering station and reinstalling caps but I would like to have any mods I do be reversible in the event of a needed repair or future sale.

I have been resistant to adding an external 'box' but I may have to look into the FARED option or Sean Jacobs mini ARC6 / DC4 power supplies.

I would be interested in opinions of folks who have the basic FARED or the Sean Jacobs mini with the DAVE.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,427 of 1,488
Dec 28, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,428 of 1,488
The full sized Sean Jacobs DC4 may be my only option for the DAVE. I would love the smaller footprint and cost of the DC4 mini and have an inquiry in to Sean to clarify.

If I have this correct I think I would need 3, FARED super 3 (or super 10) power supplies or the full size DC4 for the DAVE.

I just looked at the size of the DC4, 450mm x 290mm or close to 18" x 12" I have a shelf below my DAVE but it's smaller than that footprint. I also need to decide if spending close to $10K is something I want to do. I know, you can't take it with you and if it were a smaller chassis I think I'd go for it without hesitation!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #1,429 of 1,488
I am good with a desoldering station and reinstalling caps but I would like to have any mods I do be reversible in the event of a needed repair or future sale.

I have been resistant to adding an external 'box' but I may have to look into the FARED option or Sean Jacobs mini ARC6 / DC4 power supplies.

I would be interested in opinions of folks who have the basic FARED or the Sean Jacobs mini with the DAVE.
The cap mod can be reversed with soldering again as easily as placing it.

The Farad 3 solution consist of 3 standard Farad3 PSU's costing somewhere €500 each plus the cable plus a safety switch PCB board to monitor that each voltage is present before power to Dave is applied. I guess the whole package is under €2500 but should check.

I heard it side by side with my early cap mod and they both bring similar benefit of giving meat to Dave.. specially in the (mid) bass area things improve.

After this test the cap mod improved later with the decoupling resistors and the change of dual parallel to single cap on Dave's internal regulators output.

Comparing Farad3 stack to cap mod Dave's
20230103_205731.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #1,430 of 1,488
Thanks @Reactcore ! I am a decent tech and can solder but I do not have your level of understanding of the circuit and would be nervous working on a $14K DAVE DAC!

The 3, super 3 (or go off the deep end with the super 10) FARED power supplies and power monitor module / cables would be an easy option and about $3K US for the super 3 or over $10K US for the super 10's. I do have a location where either of the 3 FARED chassis would fit.

The Sean Jacobs DC4 chassis is way too big for my table even if it is a better PS option.
SJ does have a mini DC4 but it only has one output where the full DC4 has all three for the DAVE, 5v, 15v, -15v

I wonder how the 3, FARED super 3 ps with the power monitor would compare to a Sean Jacobs 5v mini DC4?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #1,431 of 1,488
Thanks @Reactcore ! I am a decent tech and can solder but I do not have your level of understanding of the circuit and would be nervous working on a $14K DAVE DAC!

The 3, super 3 (or go off the deep end with the super 10) FARED power supplies and power monitor module / cables would be an easy option and about $3K US for the super 3 or over $10K US for the super 10's. I do have a location where either of the 3 FARED chassis would fit.

The Sean Jacobs DC4 chassis is way too big for my table even if it is a better PS option.
SJ does have a mini DC4 but it only has one output where the full DC4 has all three for the DAVE, 5v, 15v, -15v

I wonder how the 3, FARED super 3 ps with the power monitor would compare to a Sean Jacobs 5v mini DC4?
I think that mini DC4 also has all 3 voltages but the wires run in a single cable from one connector.

My testing and findings confirmed my theory that the trick is in the capacitor buffering that either Sj or Farad provide. Thats why i explored that aspect and tried to better its placement to inside Dave closer to where the buffer has its most effect: directly on the amp section.

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #1,432 of 1,488
The cap mod can be reversed with soldering again as easily as placing it.

The Farad 3 solution consist of 3 standard Farad3 PSU's costing somewhere €500 each plus the cable plus a safety switch PCB board to monitor that each voltage is present before power to Dave is applied. I guess the whole package is under €2500 but should check.

I heard it side by side with my early cap mod and they both bring similar benefit of giving meat to Dave.. specially in the (mid) bass area things improve.

After this test the cap mod improved later with the decoupling resistors and the change of dual parallel to single cap on Dave's internal regulators output.

Comparing Farad3 stack to cap mod Dave's
20230103_205731.jpg
I recognise that picture! 😀

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,433 of 1,488
If I am using my DAVE as a DAC into a Envy tube amp and not using the amp section of the DAVE for headphone out, would I hear a significant improvement with a FARED or DC4 / ARC6 DC4 power supply upgrade?

If so, I do have some interesting options!:upside_down:

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #1,434 of 1,488
If I am using my DAVE as a DAC into a Envy tube amp and not using the amp section of the DAVE for headphone out, would I hear a significant improvement with a FARED or DC$ / ARC6 DC4 power supply upgrade?

If so, I do have some interesting options!:upside_down:
Yes although to a smaller extent due to less current draw from Dave's amp.

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #1,436 of 1,488
I have played around with that board. It didnt add anything in my cap modded setup with the original SMPS in front. But i dont know how it behaves with a stock Dave and/or the Sj main unit.

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #1,437 of 1,488
Happy New Year! May 2024 bring many happy listening hours to you all! Looking forward reading about everyone’s new explorations, demos and listening views in 2024. Enjoy! 🎧

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #1,438 of 1,488
Hi all.

I’ve recently purchased the tt2 and have been running it from an Innuos zen mk3 via usb. I’ve just ordered the Src dx along with the bnc/coax adapters from Audiowise. I intend to use this set up for HQPlayer and to bypass the tt2 usb.

Would anyone recommend still using some additional rf regulators/ferrite cables as I’m using the zen/src dx and no coaxial cables?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #1,439 of 1,488
Hi all.

I’ve recently purchased the tt2 and have been running it from an Innuos zen mk3 via usb. I’ve just ordered the Src dx along with the bnc/coax adapters from Audiowise. I intend to use this set up for HQPlayer and to bypass the tt2 usb.

Would anyone recommend still using some additional rf regulators/ferrite cables as I’m using the zen/src dx and no coaxial cables?

Thanks in advance.
Add the OptoDX to that chain to isolate fully
But keep the RX side on a battery.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #1,440 of 1,488

Users who are viewing this thread

Back