An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #1,456 of 1,488
I was very fortunate to find a newer and lightly used Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 from a Head-Fi member with the DAVECAP board and Mundorf silver/ gold wire for my DAVE.
I had been considering the stack of 3 Fared power supplies and the SJ. I have not heard any of the Fared ps so I am relying on those who have owned both for their comparisons and opinion.

First off, this SJ power supply is a nearly 50# monster and I needed a real audio rack to support this beast.

I wasn't sure how big, or perhaps subtle, the upgrade would be. I was pleasantly surprised and frankly stunned from the very first track I played. I'd say the level of clarity and detail were the most obvious change. I was thrilled with the stock DAVE and M scaler and had a hard time believing it could be improved to this level.
To use an overused audio cliche, it now feels more like being in the audience at a live concert or in the recording studio. Deeper and tighter bass, glorious mids and an extended treble without being bright, glassy or sibilant......just more detail and information that is now allowed to come through. The separation of instruments and black background is scary good and a joy to hear.

To say I'm thrilled with the SJ would be an understatement.
Congrats! Now you hear what kind of change a decent cap buffer brings. Imagine if this buffer is applied on the amp section inside Dave 😉

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #1,457 of 1,488
Hi all.
I’m looking for some info. I have an m scaler powered by a bixpower powerbank into tt2. I also have a Src-dx on its way.

Question is, does the src dx have its own ground from it’s own usb to bnc or will it introduce ground noise into the m scaler? I just bought the bixpower so loath to reintroduce 2ghz ground connection from the scaler to tt2. My source is an Innuos Zen mk3.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #1,458 of 1,488
Hi all.
I’m looking for some info. I have an m scaler powered by a bixpower powerbank into tt2. I also have a Src-dx on its way.

Question is, does the src dx have its own ground from it’s own usb to bnc or will it introduce ground noise into the m scaler? I just bought the bixpower so loath to reintroduce 2ghz ground connection from the scaler to tt2. My source is an Innuos Zen mk3.

Thanks in advance!
You would be better off coming in optical into M Scaler. With SRC-DX its noise will go back into the mains.

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,459 of 1,488
You would be better off coming in optical into M Scaler. With SRC-DX its noise will go back into the mains.
Thanks for your reply. Does this still apply if I’m powering the mscaler with the Bixpower? My Zen or cd transport is usb out only.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,460 of 1,488
Thanks for your reply. Does this still apply if I’m powering the mscaler with the Bixpower? My Zen or cd transport is usb out only.
Yes, because the noise from the M Scaler will find its way back to the mains through the USB.
I would go as fas as saying that even a galvanically isolated USB won’t provide full protection from a high frequency RF noise.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,461 of 1,488
Ok, thanks again. Just when I thought I had things sorted. I also have the audiowave bnc adapters being delivered. Would I be better using a wave cable and use instead of the adapters? Maybe even opto-usb or opto-dx.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #1,462 of 1,488
Ok, thanks again. Just when I thought I had things sorted. I also have the audiowave bnc adapters being delivered. Would I be better using a wave cable and use instead of the adapters? Maybe even opto-usb or opto-dx.
Not sure about the wave cables Vs bnc adapters, you have to use your ears.
I added ferrites to Nordost silver shadows and it made a big difference, assuming the wave cables do similar or better.
I am waiting for opto-dx delivery myself, I once rejected them, but my configuration evolved since.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #1,463 of 1,488
Has anyone experimented with lifting off DAVE’s ground?
I got an instant improvement after plugging it into ground lift plug.
The immediate impression was that the volume was knocked down a dB or two, but with more listening the “new” sound had all the attributes of the one that you get after cleaning up the RF noise.
The M Scaler that feeds the DAVE is on batteries and my power amp (Luxman class A) does not have ground connected by design, meaning that the DAVE is the only element in the chain that touches the ground which cannot serve any good purpose, but I can think of many bad ones.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #1,464 of 1,488
If you want to know how far you are away from ideal noise free.. try feed TT2 with the bixpower battery, use only toslink in from Mscaler output and drive headphones straight out. Leave all other inputs disconnected.

Then TT2 is totally floating electrically.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #1,465 of 1,488
Has anyone experimented with lifting off DAVE’s ground?
I got an instant improvement after plugging it into ground lift plug.
The immediate impression was that the volume was knocked down a dB or two, but with more listening the “new” sound had all the attributes of the one that you get after cleaning up the RF noise.
The M Scaler that feeds the DAVE is on batteries and my power amp (Luxman class A) does not have ground connected by design, meaning that the DAVE is the only element in the chain that touches the ground which cannot serve any good purpose, but I can think of many bad ones.

Yeap my Dave is earthless and using optical straight in.

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #1,467 of 1,488
Hi

Seem to have a problem with my mscaler. Basically, I'm only getting audio output when scaler is set to max upsampling. I'm using a ddc USB to optical connection from my streamer. I can't select red passthrough or green and purple upsampling.

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #1,468 of 1,488
Got some more comparisons/reviews coming!

Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced is here atm. Denafrips Terminator Plus on the way, with dCS bartok and Mola Mola later20210828_134034.jpg
Faithful follower on YT,
when will you review the Tambaqui?

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #1,469 of 1,488
Basically, I'm only getting audio output when scaler is set to max upsampling.
I recall encountering that but don’t remember what I did to resolve it. I think it came from me mistakenly changing a setting on the MScaler. Best to revisit all the settings via a review of the manual and make sure everything is set right. If everything checks out, try different BNC cables. Doubt that the cause but at least you can rule that out.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #1,470 of 1,488
I recall encountering that but don’t remember what I did to resolve it. I think it came from me mistakenly changing a setting on the MScaler. Best to revisit all the settings via a review of the manual and make sure everything is set right. If everything checks out, try different BNC cables. Doubt that the cause but at least you can rule that out.
Turns out I had to change the bnc input settings for my TT2. Sorted now. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back