An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #1,441 of 1,488
Hi all.

I’ve recently purchased the tt2 and have been running it from an Innuos zen mk3 via usb. I’ve just ordered the Src dx along with the bnc/coax adapters from Audiowise. I intend to use this set up for HQPlayer and to bypass the tt2 usb.

Would anyone recommend still using some additional rf regulators/ferrite cables as I’m using the zen/src dx and no coaxial cables?

Thanks in advance.
Looks like you have the src direct coupled to the tt2 and a usb cable from the zen to the src. hqplayer is running on the zen with output to alsa. There is not much chance of rf in this scenario. With the direct coupling there is no way for opto. If there was an mscaler then some say rf raises its ugly head.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #1,442 of 1,488
Looks like you have the src direct coupled to the tt2 and a usb cable from the zen to the src. hqplayer is running on the zen with output to alsa. There is not much chance of rf in this scenario. With the direct coupling there is no way for opto. If there was an mscaler then some say rf raises its ugly head.
Good to hear. I’ll be running HQplayer via NAA and not embedded in the zen. Thanks 👍🏻

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,443 of 1,488
There is not much chance of rf in this scenario. With the direct coupling there is no way for opto. If there was an mscaler then some say rf raises its ugly head.
I agree with you that the OPTO isn’t really necessary in his situation as that was aimed more at dealing with RF generated by the noisy FPGA in the MScaler. The OPTO makes a huge improvement with that device but @LeeJB1970 can skip with his current setup. Zen is a low noise source.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #1,444 of 1,488
I agree with you that the OPTO isn’t really necessary in his situation as that was aimed more at dealing with RF generated by the noisy FPGA in the MScaler. The OPTO makes a huge improvement with that device but @LeeJB1970 can skip with his current setup. Zen is a low noise source.
Thank you!

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #1,445 of 1,488
Thank you!
It seems you got a better reply here than over in the M Scaler thread. :) To simply say "don't bother with any of this and just get an M Scaler" is IMHO wrong.

Personally I have an M Scaler but I also use HQPlayer embedded too on a Pi4. If you do ever get an M Scaler please try HQPlayer with your preferred settings to perform a first upscale operation to 192khz and then feed that into the M Scaler for me this gives the best "improvement" Its difficult to say why without resorting to mumbo-jumbo audiophile terms though but I like it.

I did mention this two step upscaling process over in the M Scaler thread and apparently my ears are useless, there is no way this methodology can beat the mighty M Scaler when used by itself.

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #1,446 of 1,488
It seems you got a better reply here than over in the M Scaler thread. :) To simply say "don't bother with any of this and just get an M Scaler" is IMHO wrong.

Personally I have an M Scaler but I also use HQPlayer embedded too on a Pi4. If you do ever get an M Scaler please try HQPlayer with your preferred settings to perform a first upscale operation to 192khz and then feed that into the M Scaler for me this gives the best "improvement" Its difficult to say why without resorting to mumbo-jumbo audiophile terms though but I like it.

I did mention this two step upscaling process over in the M Scaler thread and apparently my ears are useless, there is no way this methodology can beat the mighty M Scaler when used by itself.
Thanks for the tip! As it so happens I have a M Scaler arriving today! Was going to hold off but found a nearly new unit with 5 year warranty for £2599. Had to bite at that. Would your suggestion work if using HQplayer via NAA to an Innuos Zen Mk3?

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #1,447 of 1,488
Thanks for the tip! As it so happens I have a M Scaler arriving today! Was going to hold off but found a nearly new unit with 5 year warranty for £2599. Had to bite at that. Would your suggestion work if using HQplayer via NAA to an Innuos Zen Mk3?
I've never tried the Zen MK3, looks like a nice bit of kit I would imagine it would work well, I have Roon on a QNAP NAS personally. If you do try it please PM me with your findings.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,448 of 1,488
I've never tried the Zen MK3, looks like a nice bit of kit I would imagine it would work well, I have Roon on a QNAP NAS personally. If you do try it please PM me with your findings.
Will do. 👍🏻

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #1,449 of 1,488
Like i tried explaining several times.. its not the fact that theyre linear why Dave gets to sound better and meatier. But the capacitor buffering in them with lower impedance or ESR that keeps the voltage steady vs the low grade weak buffered output side of the SMPS.

Now place those better caps directly on the amp circuit and youll hear even more control than any external PSU possibly can give.

Im using that same cheapo SMPS in an external box and added the better cap buffering inside Dave. This for me beats those uber expensive external PSU's for a fraction of the price. And i and friends have done our comparisons.
Could you please share a reference to the caps upgrade?
I am going to try a battery with inverter to power DAVE in order to get it off the grid.
Assuming the caps upgrade would still be beneficial.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #1,450 of 1,488
Could you please share a reference to the caps upgrade?
I am going to try a battery with inverter to power DAVE in order to get it off the grid.
Assuming the caps upgrade would still be beneficial.
See 'supercharging..' link in my signature.

Daves SMPS can be powered by a 100-240v DC battery. No noisy inverter needed but a charge circuit which should be switched off when playing.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #1,452 of 1,488
Thanks, from description it sounds like improvement for the headphone output, would the line output benefit from this mod?

It appears that they are one and the same in DAVE.

1705201061764.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #1,453 of 1,488
I was very fortunate to find a newer and lightly used Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 from a Head-Fi member with the DAVECAP board and Mundorf silver/ gold wire for my DAVE.
I had been considering the stack of 3 Fared power supplies and the SJ. I have not heard any of the Fared ps so I am relying on those who have owned both for their comparisons and opinion.

First off, this SJ power supply is a nearly 50# monster and I needed a real audio rack to support this beast.

I wasn't sure how big, or perhaps subtle, the upgrade would be. I was pleasantly surprised and frankly stunned from the very first track I played. I'd say the level of clarity and detail were the most obvious change. I was thrilled with the stock DAVE and M scaler and had a hard time believing it could be improved to this level.
To use an overused audio cliche, it now feels more like being in the audience at a live concert or in the recording studio. Deeper and tighter bass, glorious mids and an extended treble without being bright, glassy or sibilant......just more detail and information that is now allowed to come through. The separation of instruments and black background is scary good and a joy to hear.

To say I'm thrilled with the SJ would be an understatement.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #1,454 of 1,488
Jan 14, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #1,455 of 1,488
Thanks, from description it sounds like improvement for the headphone output, would the line output benefit from this mod?
Yup it does
As the OP switches from headphone socket to line out with a relay.
See left side of this Dave schematic.

Dave_schematic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back