An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Jan 12, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #976 of 1,492
As a more casual audio hobbyist, I first want to thank all the technical posts in this thread for broadening my mind on capabilities. This education will affect future upgrade paths. This thread also helped me choose the Spring over the May. The extra $2,000 didn’t seem worth the extra gain and my custom headphone table would have to be rebuilt to fit it. And with that, I can say I’m quite pleased with the Spring 3 KTE + Pre. The details this thing kicks out are where it shines. And that’s what I’m always wanting out of a new DAC: a new experience with my favorite tunes. It doesn’t disappoint.

The one thing that does disappoint is the fact that it has plugs for multiple outputs, and an output switching function, but has intentionally had the ability to switch outputs turned off. If I had known that, I would have reconsidered buying this $3,000 DAC. I wanted to be able to switch between a tube amp and an amp that safely drives the LCD-Rs. I completely missed that little tidbit in all of my research and emails with Kitsune. If the output switcher worked, this DAC would be perfect for me.

D8CE0876-4716-4712-AF59-8D4FC0E015B2.jpeg

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #977 of 1,492
As a more casual audio hobbyist, I first want to thank all the technical posts in this thread for broadening my mind on capabilities. This education will affect future upgrade paths. This thread also helped me choose the Spring over the May. The extra $2,000 didn’t seem worth the extra gain and my custom headphone table would have to be rebuilt to fit it. And with that, I can say I’m quite pleased with the Spring 3 KTE + Pre. The details this thing kicks out are where it shines. And that’s what I’m always wanting out of a new DAC: a new experience with my favorite tunes. It doesn’t disappoint.

The one thing that does disappoint is the fact that it has plugs for multiple outputs, and an output switching function, but has intentionally had the ability to switch outputs turned off. If I had known that, I would have reconsidered buying this $3,000 DAC. I wanted to be able to switch between a tube amp and an amp that safely drives the LCD-Rs. I completely missed that little tidbit in all of my research and emails with Kitsune. If the output switcher worked, this DAC would be perfect for me.

Congrats on the Spring 3. What exactly is the issue with the DAC feeding two amps simultaneously? You can leave the one you are not using off or turned down.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #978 of 1,492
Latest update on my holo may - LEFT CHANNEL DEAD

I’ve unplugged and plugged in all cables again - no change
Same goods for OS as well as NOS mode and all inputs that i can try (optical, coax and usb)

And my other dac works well

So left channel of May issue

Ps that explains why the dac did not feel as warm today during burn in

Just sent an email through to distributor/seller to have this looked at and rectified

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #979 of 1,492

Same goods for OS as well as NOS mode and all inputs that i can try (optical, coax and usb)

Just sent an email through to distributor/seller to have this looked at and rectified
Damn, first time hearing the May do that. That’s unfortunate.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #980 of 1,492

Sorry to hear this.

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #982 of 1,492
It does not feed two amps at the same time. If XLR is plugged in, RCA does not function.
You mean the only way to listen to the amp plugged into the RCAs would be to first unplug the XLRs plugged into the other amp?

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #983 of 1,492
I am trying to connect a Holo spring 3 KTE using USB input and various Apple devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad) as a source and get this dialog box:

"Accesory Unavailble"

'The attached accesory uses too much power'

Can I use Apple devices with the KTE 3?

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #984 of 1,492
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #986 of 1,492
Yup, using the Apple CCK (Lightning to USB camera adpter) that works fine with the TT2.
But not with the spring, right?

maybe change the order of what you plug in and turn on. That can sometimes make a difference.

eg order that you plug things in then turn on - in relation to dac, ios device and usb cable

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #987 of 1,492
Thanks, @thecrow

I tried a few sequences and will try more with my fingers crossed and one eye closed. :laughing:
The screen says UNLOCK.
I want confirmation that it should work with Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod devices and NOT need to use my desktop OS iMac or Windows / Android. If not someone else can use it.

I really love the TT2 / MS / Bigger Ben combination but wanted to hear a Holo DAC with all the hype and many respected members jumping on the bandwagon!

Sorry you lost a channel on your new May only a few days in...............

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #988 of 1,492
But not with the spring, right?

maybe change the order of what you plug in and turn on. That can sometimes make a difference.

eg order that you plug things in then turn on - in relation to dac, ios device and usb cable
Yes, that is the one I have and it is compatible with my iPhone 11, 7th gen iPod touch and my ipad.
It is OK with the TT2 and, at this point, a NO-GO with the Spring 3 and will not lock.

EDIT: I have found posts from December that did say they used an i Phone and iPad so there must be something I am missing.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #989 of 1,492
Yes, that is the one I have and it is compatible with my iPhone 11, 7th gen iPod touch and my ipad.
It is OK with the TT2 and, at this point, a NO-GO with the Spring 3 and will not lock.

EDIT: I have found posts from December that did say they used an i Phone and iPad so there must be something I am missing.
Try using a powered usb hub https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202034#:~:text=Use USB 3 Adapter for,hub or secondary power source.
“Use USB 3 Adapter for more power
Some devices need more power than your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can provide. If you connect one of these devices, you might see an alert that says “attached accessory uses too much power." Try one of these steps: Connect the devices to a powered USB-A hub or secondary power source.”

On mine it doesn’t connect “because it uses too much power” but a powered adapter or usb hub should sort it out.

Also tried with my usb c android, no issues, so worst comes to worst get a cheap android tablet just for audio apps 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back