An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #106 of 1,487
To the poeple who has bought the KTE From Kitsune, does the May Dac Ship from the USA or does it ship from china. thanks

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #108 of 1,487
GoldenOne has presented a cogent and useful SUBJECTIVE review. Cogent, because he clearly conveyed his impressions of dacs sound through HIS system. Useful for me, because review provided comparison between digital equipment I'm interested in. He did not present review as an objective exercise, and I did not perceive it as such.

I don't consider this review or any subjective/objective review as THE definitive review. Being mindful of that when reading all reviews, I find this review useful in that it provides another affirmative review of Holo May. Usually, I make purchasing decisions of any particular audio component based on many positive reviews over many months/years. Context is important in that I want to know what that reviewers system is comprised of and what he's comparing unit under review to. I do think measurements are important in that they convey engineering expertise, and which may correlate to any particular individual's sound preferences. Ultimately, my purchasing decisions are mostly made based on subjective reviews. Having said that, I recently purchased Okto 8 stereo dac based mostly on ASR measurements (tiny bits of subjective impressions on ASR). Those measurements happened to correlate to my impressions of sound quality with dac, therefore measurements were a valid indicator of sq in this particular case.

Also, I've participated in any number of double blind tests of audio components over many years. Almost invariably, I came out confused and unsure, absolutely no validity in any of my responses. Subjectively, evaluating audio equipment requires my listening to any one component over a relatively longer period of time in my long term system in my home. When I present reviews I make this clear, whether my review is considered valid or useful is not for me to decide.

In the end, subjective and objective reviews have their place, readers understand the perspective and accept it at face value. Again, no review is the definitive review, I don't perceive audio reviews as a search for some absolute truth.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #109 of 1,487
To the poeple who has bought the KTE From Kitsune, does the May Dac Ship from the USA or does it ship from china. thanks
It ships from the USA.
But depending on stock, kitsune may need to wait for it to arrive to them first.

The dac itself is built in china by holo, shipped to kitsune in the US where they install any kte related mods, and then they ship it to you.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #110 of 1,487
GoldenOne has presented a cogent and useful SUBJECTIVE review. Cogent, because he clearly conveyed his impressions of dacs sound through HIS system. Useful for me, because review provided comparison between digital equipment I'm interested in. He did not present review as an objective exercise, and I did not perceive it as such.

I don't consider this review or any subjective/objective review as THE definitive review. Being mindful of that when reading all reviews, I find this review useful in that it provides another affirmative review of Holo May. Usually, I make purchasing decisions of any particular audio component based on many positive reviews over many months/years. Context is important in that I want to know what that reviewers system is comprised of and what he's comparing unit under review to. I do think measurements are important in that they convey engineering expertise, and which may correlate to any particular individual's sound preferences. Ultimately, my purchasing decisions are mostly made based on subjective reviews. Having said that, I recently purchased Okto 8 stereo dac based mostly on ASR measurements (tiny bits of subjective impressions on ASR). Those measurements happened to correlate to my impressions of sound quality with dac, therefore measurements were a valid indicator of sq in this particular case.

Also, I've participated in any number of double blind tests of audio components over many years. Almost invariably, I came out confused and unsure, absolutely no validity in any of my responses. Subjectively, evaluating audio equipment requires my listening to any one component over a relatively longer period of time in my long term system in my home. When I present reviews I make this clear, whether my review is considered valid or useful is not for me to decide.

In the end, subjective and objective reviews have their place, readers understand the perspective and accept it at face value. Again, no review is the definitive review, I don't perceive audio reviews as a search for some absolute truth.
Literally couldn’t have said it better! Thanks for your thoughtful response. Most of the equipment I am interested in is simply not available for me to physically evaluate so I rely on the numerous impressions/reviews of others before jumping off the cliff.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #111 of 1,487
It ships from the USA.
But depending on stock, kitsune may need to wait for it to arrive to them first.

The dac itself is built in china by holo, shipped to kitsune in the US where they install any kte related mods, and then they ship it to you.
FYI, mine shipped DHL directly from Hong Kong, so Kitsune must be having them do the mods directly there in China

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #112 of 1,487
FYI, mine shipped DHL directly from Hong Kong, so Kitsune must be having them do the mods directly there in China
If you get a L2 then it might.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #113 of 1,487
If you get a L2 then it might.
dont know what to say but I bought my KTE from kitsune last year and it shipped in December direct from China. Maybe Tim/kitsune has someone over there doing the work for him

D28EF52F-25E1-4357-9BB2-7BCEC074ECE2.jpeg

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #114 of 1,487
Amazing work. I notice your HF filter on DAVE is ON. When you use HQPlayer / MScaler 768K for DAVE, try HF filter OFF and you may find the sound more open, transparent, and detailed.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #115 of 1,487
I've missed a week's worth of reading so to react to Zeos's (re)view; I have watched a lot of his reviews lately and I really enjoy them. There is absolutely no filter between his brain and his mouth. This is mostly a good thing except where he is clearly out of his depth. And he is in the case of the Holo dac. I remember his 'review' of the SMSL SU-8 (iirc, the 1k+ dac) and he was equally dismissive and it was clear he didn't know how to appreciate it. He was literally dropping it on his desk. I mean... What? That really turned me off and I avoided him for a while. Let's say 'You still have much to learn padawan'. Listening takes training.

I understand that high prices can be revolting, especially when your alone in your big empty cold house with a (cute) cat called Chewbacca. I myself can't afford a Holo May, let alone a Kitsune 'tuned' edition (I'd rather do that myself anyway). But I own a Denafrips and that should compare. Someone considered the Ares better than the Spring. I don't know if that's true but i believe it. I also found that my really, really cheap NOS filterles TDA1543 that I modified myself (to something out of spec but much better sounding) dac sounds better than the Ares II (only it maxes at 24-96). Finding out how and what makes it sound better took me over a year. But it taught me that it's not a matter of fancy power supply, silver wire and fancy caps. Ok, i did use silver-plated wire. But most important is using the right values and leaving out what you don't strictly need and use good quality parts where it's really useful. What's the use of solid silver toroidal power transformers where I couldn't even tell between a wall-wart and linear PS. And there's no cost saving in getting the right output impedance but it makes a huge difference in sound.

So I get it. High prices can be off-putting. But you shouldn't dismiss expensive items (envie?) or low cost gear (snobism?) based on just feelings or on lack of hearing differences. No evidence of existence is not evidence of non-existence! Often it's because of prejudice or lack of trying that evidence is not accepted or there.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #117 of 1,487
Tim told me all mods are done during the build in China. He does not mod the May himself.
Ah OK. I thought that the kitsune mods were done locally. I know the l1/L2 are done at factory but didn't realise that was the case for the kitsune ones.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #118 of 1,487
Tim told me all mods are done during the build in China. He does not mod the May himself.
It’s a curious thing if all the dealer is involved in is taking orders , collecting payments and answering questions , they need to do much better , I asked a single question over three weeks ago still waiting for a response, last week I asked again , ,...I have patience however it’s getting a little too much .

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #119 of 1,487
It’s a curious thing if all the dealer is involved in is taking orders , collecting payments and answering questions , they need to do much better , I asked a single question over three weeks ago still waiting for a response, last week I asked again , ,...I have patience however it’s getting a little too much .
I think that's how it goes with the one man show that is Tim. Bigger organizations or dealer network would dramatically increase the MSRP. Why not ask your question here or search to see if it's already been answered?

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #120 of 1,487
I think that's how it goes with the one man show that is Tim. Bigger organizations or dealer network would dramatically increase the MSRP. Why not ask your question here or search to see if it's already been answered?
Well I understand his wife is directly involved in the dealership still there are other one man audio dealer operations they would never ignore a question from a potential sale , coming up to a month to answer a simple yes or no question is not normal . I like hearing directly from the horses mouth,,.. I’ll still purchase the KTE dac I’m just not happy with no response,..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back