Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
Dec 14, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #168 of 587
You mention the DX300, did you hear that one too?

I have, indeed.
What makes you prefer the Alpha? I'm a fan of the DX300..😊

What amp did the DX300 have, 11.1, 11.2 or 12?

Dec 15, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #170 of 587
Only the 11.1. I thought that amp gives the 300 a rather diffuse presentation? But a nice wide stage!

Alpha sounds more dynamic to me and tonally richer?
I haven't heard the Alpha, so it's good to know your perspective on it. I like both 11.1 and 12 amps on the DX300, in terms of sound, and I like the speed and general ease of use of the device. I don't see myself changing DAPs anytime soon..😊

Dec 15, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #171 of 587
I have been considering getting into IEMs more as normal work from office resumes all around me.

I currently own the Kann Alpha and have been considering upgrading, mostly due to the Alpha's rather smallish screen.

I am not one to be overly possessed by pride of ownership. If someone shows me a better product than what I own, I will usually try to sell mine and get the better one (within reason, of course).

I wanted to like the Shanling M8 over the Kann Alpha because the latter’s screen is small and O/S is mediocre at best. I had the opportunity of trying the M8 recently at a meet-up with a fellow HeadFi-er and friend.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have to report that M8 sound signature was in no way more preferable to me, than the Kann Alpha’s. In fact, I might far prefer the Alpha’s sound to that of the M8, iBasso DX300, and other comparables.

Brief impressions: Kann Alpha VS Shanling M8

Build:
About equal. Both are well-built DAPs.
Aesthetics: The M8 is much prettier. The larger screen is nice to look at as is the nice shape to the device.
OS: The M8 O/S is as bad as the Alpha’s if not worse. God, its slow. Very slow.
Sound Quality:
  • They are both “colored” (in fact, I don’t know what isn’t. We should stop using this word as audio reviewers, as it confuses more than it clarifies).
    🙂
  • I noticed a roll-off at both ends of the FR with the M8, particularly with the Thieaudio Monarch OG. The subbass roll off was more noticeable with an IEM that has insane amounts of subbass. Note that the roll-off was only noticeable in A/B-ing. It’s not noticeable if you are only running the M8.
  • The Alpha has a tighter bass, noticeably more defined, and a crisper treble, while maintaining a natural, pleasant midrange.
  • The M8 sounds relatively more midrange forward and “relaxing” but in a way that made metal and rock music sound unsatisfactory to me. So this was not relaxing-sounding in a good way, but in an attempt to be “natural sounding” that works better with vocal-based genres than others. Eletronica didn’t sound right to me, the way it did on the Alpha.
  • Also important to mention that the Alpha does some amazing vocals.
Overall, I still prefer the Alpha for SQ and I dare say, the OS. Once I got used to side loading Tidal and Qobuz on the Alpha, its actually snappier than the M8, which also has issues with Tidal and Qobuz apps for many users (as per the M8 headfi thread it seems).
Speaking of… I recently got the Campfire Ara, Dorado, Sabre as well as the Fiio FH9, Dunu Zen Pro and a few others and I must say I’ve been really loving it. Some of those multi driver IEMs are quite magical.

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #172 of 587
I haven't heard the Alpha, so it's good to know your perspective on it. I like both 11.1 and 12 amps on the DX300, in terms of sound, and I like the speed and general ease of use of the device. I don't see myself changing DAPs anytime soon..😊
Supremely easy to use isn’t it

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #173 of 587
Thanks for the recent reviews. Interesting you gave the i4 such high praise without eq. I agree though, it is great!

Have you had the chance to hear if there is any improvement going up from a mini to another better amp in your experience? As some have said the mini is not good for electronic music or Susvara. Does this hold true for the LCD5?

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #174 of 587
Thanks for the recent reviews. Interesting you gave the i4 such high praise without eq. I agree though, it is great!

Have you had the chance to hear if there is any improvement going up from a mini to another better amp in your experience? As some have said the mini is not good for electronic music or Susvara. Does this hold true for the LCD5?
Hey man. Are you asking about the GSX Mini? J

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #175 of 587
Jan 16, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #176 of 587
Just listened to @Sajid Amit's latest Susvara YouTube review. It is by far the best review of the Susvara that I have ever seen. It gives you detailed nuance and comparisons with various DACs, AMPs and comparable headphones. Anyone thinking about buying one should absolutely watch this video

Would love to see a review of the Diana TC and how it compares to the 1266 Phi TC and the Sus.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #177 of 587
Fantastic ranking. You are right, the D8000 is so underrated, even on here. The bass is delicious and addictive. It's like a direct planar upgrade from the Fostex TH-900 sound. The only other headphones I would consider an upgrade from the TH-900 type sound that I love is the HE-6 SE and maybe the Abyss 1266 and RAD-0 (which I haven't heard yet). I strongly preferred the overall sound presentation of the D8000 compared to the Utopia, Susvara, HE1000se, LCD-4, D8000 Pro, Stellia, Clear, Arya and others.
Hey brother, seen your comment and thought I'd ask you a question. I use the Denon D7000, and I adore them. I love the Denon/Fostex signature. I did use the TH900 for months and the bass hit me perfect, however to get the bass up where I wanted it, the treble was a bit painful... even though I love a nice clean pushed treble (just accentuates and helps the bass feel even more diabolical) I found LCD2 to be lifeless. I can't afford to drop $5k on an Abyss AB-1266 so is there anything else I can sample?

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #178 of 587
Hey brother, seen your comment and thought I'd ask you a question. I use the Denon D7000, and I adore them. I love the Denon/Fostex signature. I did use the TH900 for months and the bass hit me perfect, however to get the bass up where I wanted it, the treble was a bit painful... even though I love a nice clean pushed treble (just accentuates and helps the bass feel even more diabolical) I found LCD2 to be lifeless. I can't afford to drop $5k on an Abyss AB-1266 so is there anything else I can sample?
Hey Scott, yes absolutely. I have very similar taste to you as well, I think. I very much prioritize a strong and satisfying level of bass and punch. Similar to what live music presents. Honestly, if you don't want to go high-end with Abyss, D8000, or LCD-4, you have a few options. Honestly, at the sub 2k price point, the TH-900 is really the best there is IMO. I think you just need the right amp to pair with it, which will give some warmth and also control that treble. Combine a good amp-pairing with a pad-swap for something like the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin and you should be happy. For me, the Dekoni Sheepskin maintains a similar sound to the stock pad (v-shaped, strong bass quantity and impact) but tames the treble harshness and sibilance you can sometimes experience from a stock 900.

If you want something else entirely, I have heard good things about the Kennerton Gjallarhorn, although have not tried them yet myself. But they apparently have a VERY satisfying and unique sound with strong/impactful bass and slightly rolled-off treble, so they will never give you any issues like the 900 did. Also, the newer Denon 7200 would be a safe pick, but I haven't tried the Denon myself.

For something VERY warm, there is the ZMF Atticus, with a similar level and impact of bass to the 900 with a very warm, smooth, lush sound signature. However, they are a step backward in technical performance, detail, and sound slightly slow and dull/blunted in comparison to the 900.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #180 of 587
Hey Scott, yes absolutely. I have very similar taste to you as well, I think. I very much prioritize a strong and satisfying level of bass and punch. Similar to what live music presents. Honestly, if you don't want to go high-end with Abyss, D8000, or LCD-4, you have a few options. Honestly, at the sub 2k price point, the TH-900 is really the best there is IMO. I think you just need the right amp to pair with it, which will give some warmth and also control that treble. Combine a good amp-pairing with a pad-swap for something like the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin and you should be happy. For me, the Dekoni Sheepskin maintains a similar sound to the stock pad (v-shaped, strong bass quantity and impact) but tames the treble harshness and sibilance you can sometimes experience from a stock 900.

If you want something else entirely, I have heard good things about the Kennerton Gjallarhorn, although have not tried them yet myself. But they apparently have a VERY satisfying and unique sound with strong/impactful bass and slightly rolled-off treble, so they will never give you any issues like the 900 did. Also, the newer Denon 7200 would be a safe pick, but I haven't tried the Denon myself.

For something VERY warm, there is the ZMF Atticus, with a similar level and impact of bass to the 900 with a very warm, smooth, lush sound signature. However, they are a step backward in technical performance, detail, and sound slightly slow and dull/blunted in comparison to the 900.
Wow! Thank you a 1000 Xs over for such an in depth impression! I really appreciate your knowledge and sharing. Very valuable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back