Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #196 of 587
For those that are big into soundstage, is there really such a thing as accurate soundstage? When describing this, are you referencing width and depth only or are you including imaging where objects are placed? I am wondering if this is an artificial feature or really possible because when I watch music videos, no matter with my bluetooth or even the 5's, the imaging of sounds never correlate with where the instruments or vocalists are on stage whether in front or from the back. Like in video, the vocalists are on the left and right, but they sound both on the right. I have never seen a video where all the different sounds are in the proper position on stage. Have you?
When I speak of Soundstage I refer to a proper near-field or treated room 2 channel setup. Width, Depth, and instrument separation all included in that description. A headphone with great soundstage is enveloping not closed in, to my ears. I am not as concerned with video syncing issues as I don't watch videos with my audio headphone setups so I can't be of any assistance there, sorry. As an example though a proper 2 channel setup bings me inside the music versus the music inside my head, music all around me and the highest rated headphones on my list do the same, i.e., Mysphere, Sol P, 1266, Susvara, RAAL SR1A.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #197 of 587
Feb 6, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #198 of 587
Brought back the Utopia for a review. Got a good deal on the used market. How do you like the Utopia versus the LCD5? Asked the same question on the LCD5 thread...

IMG-1526.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #199 of 587
utopia is one of those HP's like the senn 800's that have weaknesses but are a classic that will around for a long time...I had the utopia and sold them a few years back...bought them back and sold them again...their strengths (detail and imaging) have been surpassed by newer models in the market while the weakness..soundstage and bass IMHO remain...I like them but do not think they play with the big boys...abyss tc, susvara,sr1a and sol p ....I see them as slightly inferior to the lcd-5

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #200 of 587
utopia is one of those HP's like the senn 800's that have weaknesses but are a classic that will around for a long time...I had the utopia and sold them a few years back...bought them back and sold them again...their strengths (detail and imaging) have been surpassed by newer models in the market while the weakness..soundstage and bass IMHO remain...I like them but do not think they play with the big boys...abyss tc, susvara,sr1a and sol p ....I see them as slightly inferior to the lcd-5
As usual an opinion/response I can get with, well said.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #201 of 587
Feb 21, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #203 of 587
Working on a video on tube pre-amps and having a lot of fun with tube pre's.

unnamed.jpg

Have the Freya in the house...

IMG-1907.jpg

And the really masterful Primaluna EVO 400 pre-amp

IMG-1906.jpg
Exciting, looking forward to it.
Wonder how great the Freya+ is even against the pricier competition

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #204 of 587
Sajid, if u tell us the Freya tops the Primaluna, I'm going to be so sad LOL!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #206 of 587
@Sajid Amit are there plans to audition and compare additional pre amps?

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #207 of 587
Feb 21, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #208 of 587

Users who are viewing this thread

Back