Amplifier for Beyerdynamics DT880
Dec 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FOXY

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I purchased DT880 Headphones 250 Ohm versions,

I tried with them CI AUDIO VHP•1 amplifier, the soundstage was very impressive.
But the result was bright and sharp.

Which amplifiers do you recommend to use with these headphones?

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Recently I purchased DT880 Headphones 250 Ohm versions,

I tried with them CI AUDIO VHP•1 amplifier, the soundstage was very impressive.
But the result was bright and sharp.

Which amplifiers do you recommend to use with these headphones?

What's your budget?

I used to own the DT880 600Ohms version and I had fantastic tube warmth from using the Decware CSP2+ tube amp.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP2.html

This amp works great with high impedance headphones (i.e. 250 Ohms and above)

I'm currently using the same CSP2+ amp with the Beyer T1 (600 Ohms) with the same fantastic results.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 13
Well you can try on of the Schiit Amps, I have the Magni. I would also suggest using the DT880 with either of Schiit's tube amps the Lyr or the Valhalla. 

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=3

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=2

Andre

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 13
I've been driving my pair of 600 ohm DT880s with a Ray Samuels Audio HR-2  for years, it drives them wonderfully! The sound is superb!

But then again, Ray only makes great sounding amps...

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 13
The FiiO E09K works well with DT880s.

Edit:
I really gotta pay more attention before I post!
It is possible that you will find the E09K bright and sharp with some material.

I recommend the La Figaro 336C, a nice warm sounding amp which does not veer too far into mushy-ness and muddiness. Bass is still tight and punchy.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 13
I tried the DARKVOICE 336i with upgraded capacitors and some other things, the result was really not good.
Maybe i will check whether original version is more suitable for headphones, the CIAUDIO amp was much better.

Other suggestions? AMB BETA 22, two boards version work well?

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 13
I use the bottlehead crack - I like the sound through OTL tube designs for the 880/600. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I tried the DARKVOICE 336i with upgraded capacitors and some other things, the result was really not good.
Maybe i will check whether original version is more suitable for headphones, the CIAUDIO amp was much better.

Other suggestions? AMB BETA 22, two boards version work well?

Not too sure how true this is, but supposedly the 336C uses better output caps than the 336i.

If you want to spend big $$, try the Bryston BHA-1.
It has balanced and SE outputs and has enough power to drive almost any 'phone.
I've tried this amp out once with DT880s, unfortunately, the show room was so noisy I really couldn't get a handle on how the system sounded.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
I use the bottlehead crack - I like the sound through OTL tube designs for the 880/600. 

+1

600 ohm beyers pair really really nicely with OTL's.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 13
I tried the amp bottlehead crack with speedball Upgrade, gave a reasonable result, little sharp in a high, and a little lacking in mid.

I wonder how this amp without the upgrade, the next step to try out the BETA22.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I tried the amp bottlehead crack with speedball Upgrade, gave a reasonable result, little sharp in a high, and a little lacking in mid.

I try not to use amps to replace EQ. I've found the crack is pretty neutral as far as tube amps go. *shrug*

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 13
I've never listened to the Beta22 - It looks great, though maybe overkill. I was contemplating building out a Dynalo, or an AMB M3, both of those should be good pairings as well. I do like a little tubey goodness with my 880's though. I'll probably keep running the 880's with the crack, and build out a good Solid State for lower impedance, high current phones like Orthos and Grados. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back