Amp8-EX Fan-Edition Preorder by Ibasso
Jan 6, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #496 of 704
Now that I am back from my vacation I finally got my hands on the Amp8EX.
Ibasso Amp8EX.jpg

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #498 of 704
Mine changed to "Customs status updated" location still East Midlands on the 2nd Jan 2020. Nothing else apart from that.

DHL told me today, mine received back at Hong Kong and signed for on 2nd January. iBasso not located as of yet.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #501 of 704
You need to be super patient dealing with ibasso. I'm trying to return mine to be repaired, no reply yet from Paul.
I guess I'll just to live with broken volume knob.

Hope it will be solved soon bro...

I might end up selling the AMP8 Fidelizer signature mod afterall.
Interesting... kind to share why ?
i am going to AB ing with AMP8 Mod, local modder...

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #502 of 704
You need to be super patient dealing with ibasso. I'm trying to return mine to be repaired, no reply yet from Paul.
I guess I'll just to live with broken volume knob.
Ibasso is really responsive. Paul is very fast , but he is usually slower when Ibasso is getting ready for new products, and there are 3 more coming

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #503 of 704
Hope it will be solved soon bro...

Interesting... kind to share why ?
i am going to AB ing with AMP8 Mod, local modder...
Well this new amp does everything for me I need. The Fidelizer one was also quite good, but it was a bit warm than this. Also the BA300S amp pairs quite well to the FE edition than Fidelizer one.

Both are great, but i prefer FE to my taste.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #504 of 704
Well, the option seem to be that you post a wanted thread ? Or you modify it by 3rd party ?
well that sucks big time, common ibasso do another run :)

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #505 of 704
Well this new amp does everything for me I need. The Fidelizer one was also quite good, but it was a bit warm than this. Also the BA300S amp pairs quite well to the FE edition than Fidelizer one.

Both are great, but i prefer FE to my taste.

Finally got a chance to try my AMP8EX (via Mango OS on DX150) and Oriolus BA-10 amp together.

As you stated about the BA300, definitely improves soundstage/imaging/etc. Basically brings the benefits of a good tube amp to an already amazing solid-state amp. I imagined it could be like combining the best of AMP8EX with the best of AMP9 (too bad the EX doesn't also have SE output; my NT-1 Nutube amp would be a perfect test).

However, by my ears (using the Elegia w/ a balanced cable), the bass sounds too boosted. Not quite distorted but not accurate either. Might be an effect of 'double amping' and I suspect the BA300 handles things better due to it being more of a tube buffer (plus having no volume control).

EDIT: Just tried the pairing again and bass sounds normal now. Not 100% sure EQ was off before and I had some issues getting the the factory cable to connect to AMP8EX. Had to reconnect a few times as, initially, it wouldn't fully seat.

IMG_20200107_131423.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #506 of 704
Finally got a chance to try my AMP8EX (via Mango OS on DX150) and Oriolus BA-10 amp together.

As you stated about the BA300, definitely improves soundstage/imaging/etc. Basically brings the benefits of a good tube amp to an already amazing solid-state amp. I imagined it could be like combining the best of AMP8EX with the best of AMP9 (too bad the EX doesn't also have SE output; my NT-1 Nutube amp would be a perfect test).

However, by my ears (using the Elegia w/ a balanced cable), the bass sounds too boosted. Not quite distorted but not accurate either. Might be an effect of 'double amping' and I suspect the BA300 handles things better due to it being more of a tube buffer (plus having no volume control).

Isn't this a bit unusual/unconventional to run the output of a high power amp, like the AMP8EX, into another amplifier (as you mention - double amping)? Maybe if you keep the output level very low from the DX220 it will not overdrive the BA-10. I would suspect that the line out from AMP1 MKII might sound much better...

But then again, I don't own the BA-10 so can't provide a comparative experience for you.

Cheers,
Tim

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #507 of 704
Isn't this a bit unusual/unconventional to run the output of a high power amp, like the AMP8EX, into another amplifier (as you mention - double amping)? Maybe if you keep the output level very low from the DX220 it will not overdrive the BA-10. I would suspect that the line out from AMP1 MKII might sound much better...

But then again, I don't own the BA-10 so can't provide a comparative experience for you.

Cheers,
Tim

Only tried it based on posts from a couple users a few pages back in this thread. Never imagined pairing any amp with AMP8EX until then.

I kept output at low gain and adjusted volume several times. But if you read their previous posts, they were essentially using a tube buffer in the BA300 (which I don't own) instead of a full blown amp by the same company.

Besides, there was no risk of damaging anything so why not at least try it. How can we find what works (or doesn't) without some trial and error? Why visit Head-Fi at all if we're ONLY going to stick to 'orthodox' methods of audio experimentation (in spite of other users' results).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #508 of 704
I encourage trials and errors, and also to follow your ears and heart :)

music is not music when you don’t listen to it with enthusiasm. Also, without your hearings or when you are deaf....it would mark the end of this hobby.

I encourage people to be open minded and keep on listening, finding your new tunes as much as new devices and new signatures. The main thing to watch out for is practicality, if something is too limited and you don’t use it as much, then it should be less useful. Otherwise, keep on trying, there is no need to stick to 1 specific signature, albums or device, brands etc....

As I mentioned, being deaf will mark the end of this hobby, and this is an inevitable thing that is happening with each second pass by and as we keep on aging....time is cruel but also the best medicine

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #509 of 704
I encourage trials and errors, and also to follow your ears and heart :)

music is not music when you don’t listen to it with enthusiasm. Also, without your hearings or when you are deaf....it would mark the end of this hobby.

I encourage people to be open minded and keep on listening, finding your new tunes as much as new devices and new signatures. The main thing to watch out for is practicality, if something is too limited and you don’t use it as much, then it should be less useful. Otherwise, keep on trying, there is no need to stick to 1 specific signature, albums or device, brands etc....

As I mentioned, being deaf will mark the end of this hobby, and this is an inevitable thing that is happening with each second pass by and as we keep on aging....time is cruel but also the best medicine

Well said.

If we think about it: AMP8EX (and many other products/mods) wouldn't exist without such trial and error and your efforts.

I'll also say the main reason I jumped back into iBasso's DX world is because I got tired of stacking gear and their modular amp system has already solved that problem for me.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #510 of 704
I agreed! May I ask that you are running Amp8EX with Dx150 or Dx220 ? The Amp8EX were tuned with Dx220....I still am unsure how it does on Dx150 lol. I thought I would ask because when I run dx220 and Amp8EX into external amp, I don’t hear the boosted bass. Hence the question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back