Amp8-EX Fan-Edition Preorder by Ibasso
Jan 4, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #466 of 704
Thanks for all the help and PM discussion with @Whitigir

Just to update, have tried removing and reseating the ribbon cable to no avail. I have also used Android tool to fully reset. Problem remains, even in Mango software I cannot change volume down via screen (Android slider I can adjust both ways).

I will no doubt need to return the unit for repair so am following up with Paul.

Enjoy the amp folks, until my little wrinkle it was sounding pretty damn fine. I am looking forward to rejoining the ranks when my DX220 is back in action!

:)

Thank you for the troubleshooting. I've asked @Paul - iBasso for the RMA number so I can ship mine back to ibasso.
I'll send mine along with the AMP8ex so they can check with it as well.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #468 of 704
I saw a noticeable improvement after 10 hours.
Now I am close to 30 hours and I notice a negligible difference. Maybe I have to wait.

For me the burn in is a long process since I want to play the music with the earphones and not charging the battery while playing. Therefore I usually charge the DX220 (shut down) up to 100%, I turn on the dap, I play a long playlist, when the battery is close to 15% I shut down the dap and put again on charge. I use a slow charger (not a quick charger, I don't want to stress the battery and increase the heat generation).
It will take some time but I don't want to stress my unit using the device in an anomalous way (out of design point).

My DX220 & AMP8-EX (same thing with AMP8) don't exceed 5 hours in Mango OS, screen off, High Gain, volume 46, playlist made of only FLAC 16 bit 44.1kHz files (this is a specific playlist for the burn in), Sennheiser IE800S.

I don't know what I have to thing when I read that there are users who are getting more than 7/8 hours of usage.

The earphones I use are the Sennheiser IE800S (they are rated 16 Ohm), volume at 46 and High Gain, this is my result... Not more than 5.5 hours.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #470 of 704
@kalo86 theres nothing wrong with keeping your DX220 in the charger while playing.
That is what I do too :)

But the battery is pretty easy to replace anyways. It is Plug and Play

@kalo86 if Dx220 and Amp8EX can’t bring 7-8 hours, then there is something wrong. It could be the battery pack. I would ask Paul and pay for a pack then replace it

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #471 of 704
I must say I am very impressed with the AMP8EX and my DX200Ti. I decided to try adding my Oriolus BA300s which hadn't paired well with the DX200Ti in the past with other amps but for whatever reason it's absolutely incredible with AMP8EX! I am not sure how it works in conjunction with the AMP8EX but something has changed and it sounds like everything is on steroids in the best way possible! Soundstage is much bigger, separation is incredible and it's an absolute joy to listen to. Well done @Whitigir and perhaps you can explain how AMP8EX works with an additional component such as the Oriolus amp as the amp doesn't seem to bypass AMP8EX but works in conjunction to bring out the best in the music. As a lifelong musician with very keen ears I am thrilled to say we've finally reached the point where we can transport the studio and concert listening experience portably, albeit it may cost an arm and a leg :) It's such a privilege to be able to experience music this way and I tip my hat to the creators of all involved in the audio chain (iBasso, Empire Ears, Effect Audio, 64 Audio, Oriolus, and of course @Whitigir).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #472 of 704
I must say I am very impressed with the AMP8EX and my DX200Ti. I decided to try adding my Oriolus BA300s which hadn't paired well with the DX200Ti in the past with other amps but for whatever reason it's absolutely incredible with AMP8EX! I am not sure how it works in conjunction with the AMP but something has changed and it sounds like everything is on steroids in the best way possible! Soundstage is much bigger, separation is incredible and it's an absolute joy to listen to. Well done @Whitigir and perhaps you can explain how AMP8EX works with an additional component such as the Oriolus amp as the amp doesn't seem to bypass AMP8EX but works in conjunction to bring out the best in the music. As a lifelong musician with very keen ears I am thrilled to say we've finally reached the point where we can transport the studio and concert listening experience portably, albeit it may cost an arm and a leg :) It's such a privilege to be able to experience music this way and I tip my hat to the creators of all involved in the audio chain (iBasso, Empire Ears, Effect Audio, 64 Audio, Oriolus, and of course @Whitigir).

That's what my exact impressions were when i added BA300s to the AMP8 Fidelizer mod, everything got elevated to next level, I never used DX220 without it after that.
I still have to try it with AMP8EX-FE now but reading what you wrote, I'm excited :D

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #473 of 704
That's what my exact impressions were when i added BA300s to the AMP8 Fidelizer mod, everything got elevated to next level, I never used DX220 without it after that.
I still have to try it with AMP8EX-FE now but reading what you wrote, I'm excited :D

Can't wait for you to hear it, I was not expecting the music to be elevated to that level so it was a nice surprise.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #474 of 704
Can't wait for you to hear it, I was not expecting the music to be elevated to that level so it was a nice surprise.
Ok you were right! It was a holy crap moment that happened now!

Just did some listening with the new amp8ex-fe and ba300s and Itsfit Fusions, man the sound is soo much bigger now. Every thing from lows to mids and highs seems like they went 2 levels up!! This is much better sounding combo than what it did on AMP8 fidelizer mod. I am also using lower volumes on this one.

I think Im good now in terms of DAP, i doubt anything would sound better especially for the price.

Only downside is that I hear a considerable hiss, wasn't there with the previous amp8.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #475 of 704
I must say I am very impressed with the AMP8EX and my DX200Ti. I decided to try adding my Oriolus BA300s which hadn't paired well with the DX200Ti in the past with other amps but for whatever reason it's absolutely incredible with AMP8EX! I am not sure how it works in conjunction with the AMP8EX but something has changed and it sounds like everything is on steroids in the best way possible! Soundstage is much bigger, separation is incredible and it's an absolute joy to listen to. Well done @Whitigir and perhaps you can explain how AMP8EX works with an additional component such as the Oriolus amp as the amp doesn't seem to bypass AMP8EX but works in conjunction to bring out the best in the music. As a lifelong musician with very keen ears I am thrilled to say we've finally reached the point where we can transport the studio and concert listening experience portably, albeit it may cost an arm and a leg :) It's such a privilege to be able to experience music this way and I tip my hat to the creators of all involved in the audio chain (iBasso, Empire Ears, Effect Audio, 64 Audio, Oriolus, and of course @Whitigir).

we could start out with the Amp8 Impedance out is about 0.3 Ohm.

When connecting to external amplifier, everything will get amplified. The bad become worse, and the good become better.

I did not only tune Amp8EX with the usage of HD800S connected directly, but also with my Stax system and the legendary Stax amplifier Kevin Gilmore T2 and my SR009 Stax headphones.

I also tuned it with an external amplifier for dynamic headphones and that is the Mini-Dynalo, but this was not specifically paid attentions to. It was for making sure that Amp8EX and Dx220 would be able to play with everything I throw at it.

I Did check that BA300s internal pictures and all that. Eventhough I have not heard the device, but the amp look very solid built and with quality components. So, the good becomes better :) Could be explained like This.

43659F8D-225F-4938-B608-74FEA676ADA7.jpeg
68D48031-C3CB-406A-A9D9-06F5A8B2664F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #476 of 704

When connecting to external amplifier, everything will get amplified. The bad become worse, and the good become better.

I did not only tune Amp8EX with the usage of HD800S connected directly, but also with my Stax system and the legendary Stax amplifier Kevin Gilmore T2 and my SR009 Stax headphones.

I also tuned it with an external amplifier for dynamic headphones and that is the Mini-Dynalo, but this was not specifically paid attentions to. It was for making sure that Amp8EX and Dx220 would be able to play with everything I throw at it.

I Did check that BA300s internal pictures and all that. Eventhough I have not heard the device, but the amp look very solid built and with quality components. So, the good becomes better :) Could be explained like this.
Ok you were right! It was a holy crap moment that happened now!

Just did some listening with the new amp8ex-fe and ba300s and Itsfit Fusions, man the sound is soo much bigger now. Every thing from lows to mids and highs seems like they went 2 levels up!! This is much better sounding combo than what it did on AMP8 fidelizer mod. I am also using lower volumes on this one.

I think Im good now in terms of DAP, i doubt anything would sound better especially for the price.

Only downside is that I hear a considerable hiss, wasn't there with the previous amp8.

I’m using the same setup last week, AMP8EX with BA300s; sound is just amazing with every IEM I have, but I haven’t heard any hiss.
Can you specify which IEM gives you noticeable hiss?

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #478 of 704

I Did check that BA300s internal pictures and all that. Eventhough I have not heard the device, but the amp look very solid built and with quality components. So, the good becomes better :) Could be explained like This.

Why is the 8000 USD Sony amp on the floor!!!!!!

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #479 of 704
Why is the 8000 USD Sony amp on the floor!!!!!!
ROFLMAO! You have keen eyes :). I play around with stuff a lot.....beside taking picture for obvious reasons. I will also be honest, that I love DX228EX just as much. The form factor and the practicality of being able to stream tidal and online contents from DX228EX is something the DMP-Z1 doesn’t have.

Now, you see why I am so hyped over the announcement of DX220Max ? LoL

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #480 of 704
ROFLMAO! You have keen eyes :). I play around with stuff a lot.....beside taking picture for obvious reasons. I will also be honest, that I love DX228EX just as much. The form factor and the practicality of being able to stream tidal and online contents from DX228EX is something the DMP-Z1 doesn’t have.

Now, you see why I am so hyped over the announcement of DX220Max ? LoL

Same here, would the Max have the same OS and steaming capabilities as DX220? If yes then I might grab one. Have they given the output power of the Max out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back