Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #181 of 391
I'm listening to EC's 2A3MkII right now. It's awesome. I think I like it better than the BA and LCD-3. The combo will play the quietest 40Hz rumble. It's so impressive. I'm sure I'm jaded since I can listen to this setup at home instead of at a meet (BA). Crazy detail and not a bit of harshness at all. Anyway it's a highly recommended setup. Check out the Seattle meet wrap up for some more impressions (this coming Sat).

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #182 of 391
I'm listening to EC's 2A3MkII right now. It's awesome. I think I like it better than the BA and LCD-3. The combo will play the quietest 40Hz rumble. It's so impressive. I'm sure I'm jaded since I can listen to this setup at home instead of at a meet (BA). Crazy detail and not a bit of harshness at all. Anyway it's a highly recommended setup. Check out the Seattle meet wrap up for some more impressions (this coming Sat).
Could you clarify please? Are you saying the 2A3 with the TH900 is better than the BA with the LCD-3? Thanks.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #183 of 391
Well, I like it better. Previously I liked my LCD better than the Fostex on my Mjolnir and Zana Deux. So it's not because I love the Fostex particularly. The 2A3 has a slightly more tubey warmth than the BA combo, so if you like a drier sound then the BA combo would be for you. I didn't really like the BA and the Fostex. I mean it sounds good, even great, but it didn't move me at all.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #185 of 391
No, but I'm sure we'll try them at the Seattle meet and get some impressions. Just not from me. I don't like them :D. Stapsy loves them with his 2A3x4 so i imagine they are great. m hoping it's nice with the new PM-1. We'll find out.

I'll post a link when that thread starts.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #186 of 391
For what it would be worth........if there is a chance to listen to the Fostex on a Cavalli Liquid Glass.......would be great to get an impression of that amp versus the 2A3 / Zana Deux
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #187 of 391
ok got sidetracked and picked up some speakers so back to this hobby.

So I now have my Th-900's but will eventually pick up an lcd-3. I am using my receiver for a temporary amp now and my fiio x5.

I want to know for a desktop dac chord Hugo or benchmark dac2. both have ok amps but eventually considering a cavalli amp balanced end game addition. Well temporary endgame :)

Which dac is better for th-900?

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #188 of 391
m2man Awesome, thanks for that. Have you tried the 2a3 with the HD800?

The HD-800 was very nice with the 2A3. Good bass and mid-bass. It always sounds so hollow to me on other setups. The highs were nice. Still too bright for me. Crazy detail, of course and great sound stage. Best I've heard it. Nearly tolerable :wink:

Not many impressions yet, but here's the Seattle meet impressions

May 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #189 of 391
Anyone experienced benchmark dac2 with he th-900?

Now I am adding this to my list of Headphone DAC/Amps as options.

BMC PureDAC  http://bmc-audio.de/index.php/PureDAC-EN.html
Oppo HA1 http://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-1/
NAD 51 http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M51-Direct-Digital-DAC

Good god I'm confused on what's best when I can't audition these.  Any experience with these 3 guys???

May 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #190 of 391
So...is there any consensus on which portable amp+dac is best for the TH900, for less than about $800 ish? I'm planning to purchase a TH900 in the coming months. I would also like a small AMP + DAC to go with it (I will be using it with a laptop). I would need the following specs:

1. Solid State
2. USB connection
3. AMP + DAC preferably, unless someone says an amp alone makes more of a difference
4. around $500-800 ish

I've narrowed down the choices to:

HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/AMP
JDS Labs O2+ODAC combo
Sony PHA 2
iBasso D2/D12/D42? (I have no idea which one is best)
Centrance HiFi-M8
- Leckerton Audio UHA760
- Fostex HP-P1 (apparently iPod only)

Which one of these would be best to drive the Fostex TH900? Or is there another portable amp+dac in this category that I have blatantly overlooked?

May 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #191 of 391
The HP-P1 does work quite well for that scenario (but get an adapter with a short cable between jack and socket, otherwise the volume poti will be to up close). Keep in mind that the HP-P1 is iDevice-only though.

Going to try out the Hifi-M8 soon, might be a worthy contender.

May 17, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #193 of 391
  So...is there any consensus on which portable amp+dac is best for the TH900, for less than about $800 ish? I'm planning to purchase a TH900 in the coming months. I would also like a small AMP + DAC to go with it (I will be using it with a laptop). I would need the following specs:

1. Solid State
2. USB connection
3. AMP + DAC preferably, unless someone says an amp alone makes more of a difference
4. around $500-800 ish

I've narrowed down the choices to:

HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/AMP
JDS Labs O2+ODAC combo
Sony PHA 2
iBasso D2/D12/D42? (I have no idea which one is best)
Centrance HiFi-M8
- Leckerton Audio UHA760
- Fostex HP-P1 (apparently iPod only)

Which one of these would be best to drive the Fostex TH900? Or is there another portable amp+dac in this category that I have blatantly overlooked?

ifi has their micro iDSD coming out in july. looks like a worthy competitor - i think it will retail at $500.

May 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #194 of 391
  ... Going to try out the Hifi-M8 soon, might be a worthy contender.

I had the HiFi-M8 and did NOT liked it with my TH-900.   I Sold the HiFi-M8...and kept the TH-900 :)

Got a HUGO now that is much much better.  Perfect match for the TH-900...

May 17, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #195 of 391
I had the HiFi-M8 and did NOT liked it with my TH-900.   I Sold the HiFi-M8...and kept the TH-900 :)

Got a HUGO now that is much much better.  Perfect match for the TH-900...
It may help to explain why you didn't like the Hifi-M8. Why didn't you like it and why is the Hugo pairing better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back