Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #526 of 1,285
It does sound like there's something wrong in the chain, Jesse. The Gungnir is the bottleneck of that rig. Unless you absolutely dislike Mojo's presentation.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #527 of 1,285
I've noticed quite a bit of solid-state gear tends to sound harsh initially. Leave it on for a couple of weeks and see if the harshness is still there.

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #529 of 1,285
Has anyone tried LCD 3 with EF6 amp here? I guess that's gonna be a good combo. since I know what hifiman's house sound is like and it's for HE6, I suppose they must smoothen the treble of HE6 very well. Also Skylab seems to like EF6 with LCD 3 very much.

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #530 of 1,285
I agree with the Mjolnir + Gungir sounding harsh, dry, and aggressive.  It can soften up w/ time, balanced input, and another dac, but I don't think anyone should rely on that.

No one talks about it, but WA22 is my favorite amp w/ the LCD3.  IMO it adds that extra bit of warmth, bass, and detail that I am seeking.  I let one slip on Ebay for 1201 and have been kicking myself since...

I bought my mjolnir w/ the intention to eventually sell and replace it w/ the Schiit Statement Hybrid or the Woo Audio WA22.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #531 of 1,285
Interested to see what comes of this Uncle. Let us know if it improves over time and which component you think it could be causing the problem for you. Curious because i was about to order this combo with a M51.

Seems like the DAC, but ya never know.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #532 of 1,285
Has anyone heard the new Decware Taboo Mk III w/ the LCD3?

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #533 of 1,285
Quote:
Has anyone heard the new Decware Taboo Mk III w/ the LCD3?

I will be getting the review sample very soon and will be reviewing it with both the lcd2.2. and the lCD3.  I will also be using the hd800 and the AT3000anv in the reivew. I should have the amp very shortly.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #535 of 1,285
Quote:
Dang it, frank, i guess the secret's out!!
biggrin.gif

Lookin' forward to it....

LOL The amp is built and its just burning in. Steve told me he finished it so sometime next week it should be sent to me. I am really looking forward to hearing it. Steve redesigned this  for the planers and he told me he use high impedance cans also to voice it with the lcd 2.. He was telling me the lucid mode stages are pretty wild so I am excited to be getting it. It also wont need speakers to be hooked up as this was designed as a headphone amp foremost and will also do speakers. It pretty loade up and will also do balanced headphones.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #536 of 1,285
Quote:
Solude, with respect, I don't really care so much how the amp measures. I'm more concerned with how it sounds. You seem to dog the HA160 simply because it doesn't measure as well as some other amps. Bottom line, if we are being honest, how many people could consistently pick out the HA160 versus say the Soloist in a blind test?

Quote:
Everyone :p  Remember I owned the HA-160D for a long long time.  It's a good mid-fi amp that is more buffer than amp since it caps out at a little over 2V and about 100mW into the LCD-3.  Which technically means it has less voltage swing than the DAC I have now /facepalm

Quote:
Heck I could pick out the Soloist against a B22 and they are much closer in character.

Solude, I really have to give you some props here...

You were absolutely right. The Soloist is a very audible step up from the HA160. I just received mine yesterday and the difference was immediately noticeable with my LCD2.2. I believe even I could pick them out in a blind test. The biggest improvement was in how smooth it sounds from top to bottom. And, along with that came a huge increase in dynamics, as well as, improvements in detail, imaging and depth. I mean, the improvements were easily apparent and on display in every category. The Burson sound signature is still there, it's just much more refined now. I'm not really sure how any review could state that the improvements are only slight or subtle. Well, I guess the term "subtle" in high end audio can mean many things to many people. For me those "subtle" improvements are really worth it. I can only hope that this amazing synergy translates over to my upcoming LCD3. Can't wait! 

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #537 of 1,285
I might be picking up the Conductor in a while depending on whether the Soloist sticks around after being compared to the B22 and GS-X I have coming.  That said I recently got the HD800 and though the Soloist is my second favourite LCD amp, it's the only amp that has made me very happy with the HD800.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #538 of 1,285
Quote:
Man will you be having a hard time doing anything but grooving! 

sorry, can't understand your idea. what does grooving means in your context? dictionaries can't help...

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #539 of 1,285
Quote:
I might be picking up the Conductor in a while depending on whether the Soloist sticks around after being compared to the B22 and GS-X I have coming.  That said I recently got the HD800 and though the Soloist is my second favourite LCD amp, it's the only amp that has made me very happy with the HD800.

I almost picked up the Conductor instead of the Soloist, but I got gun shy when I read a few of the horror stories regarding the DAC section on that guy. I decided instead to just stick with my Bifrost. I can always upgrade the DAC later anyway.

I haven't had a chance to test out the Soloist with my HD800 yet, maybe tonight. I don't really care for my HA160 with the HD800, so I'm kind of curious to see if the Soloist can make me a believer again. After I got over that initial "holy crap the detail" phase, I really fell out of love with my HD800. The LCD2.2 is very full, and rich, with a musical quality that makes it so much more enjoyable to listen to, without any fatigue. The HD800 gives me headaches if I listen for too long.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #540 of 1,285
Burson and Schiit have the same problem of not using standard USB inputs.  And unfortunately that means less mature drivers.  Good news is it doesn't effect the toslink/coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back