Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #511 of 1,285
Thanks for the comments. lcd-3s are plugged in through balanced out, but gugnir is connected to mojo single-ended. I really hope my impressions change, and change fast. This is pretty devistating to me as I've been thinking about headphones and amps an unhealthy amount lately. I just wanted to get a system that would make me truly happy. I heard traces of that in my loaner review but I can't help to think its not there anymore with this new system. I spent so much money on this, and now I feel like a complete idiot.

The Gungnir made my teeth hurt. It's nano level harsh like you are describing. Most say it smooths out but mine didn't in 10 days, so back it went. I wouldn't worry about the Mjolnir though.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #512 of 1,285
Quote:
Solude? Does soloist's laid back amping soften the bass presence too?

When I had the LCD-3 I thought the Soloist was too polite for IT.  The Soloist is however not a laid back amp.  But for the LCD-3 I preferred the more aggressive Peak and thought the Mjolnir was too aggressive.  But on bottom weight and punch the Soloist is better than the GS-1, B22 and LF.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #513 of 1,285
The Gungnir made my teeth hurt. It's nano level harsh like you are describing. Most say it smooths out but mine didn't in 10 days, so back it went. I wouldn't worry about the Mjolnir though.

My Gungnir did smooth out after about 50 hours but not enough to keep it. If anything it seemed to stabilise but then deteriorated.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #514 of 1,285
where the hell were all you people when post after post was gungnir/mjolnir omggggggggggggggggg greatest thing everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? Could've saved me some heartache. Guess i'm just an idiot and didn't search well enough. I'm never listening to you guys again :-D

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #515 of 1,285
I like my Gungnir and don't think it has changed at all. That said I am willing to accept there may be better DAC in the nearby price range.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #517 of 1,285
Quote:
where the hell were all you people when post after post was gungnir/mjolnir omggggggggggggggggg greatest thing everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr? Could've saved me some heartache. Guess i'm just an idiot and didn't search well enough. I'm never listening to you guys again :-D

For the price, it's a good DAC.  If you have/had a little more to spend.  Could have got better.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #518 of 1,285
Quote:

For the price, it's a good DAC.  If you have/had a little more to spend.  Could have got better.

Totally understood. And most likely if my impressions dont change I'll be going that route. However what concerns me is that this "upgraded" combo actually sounds worse to me than a bifrost/lyr. Like A LOT worse. It's nasty, no layers within the music. Background vocals that I heard clearly before are muffled in with the rest of the instruments. I really think the problem is the mojo because when I connect the gungnir to the lyr, I hear a definitely step-up from the bifrost. Connected to mojo singe-ended is much worse. I'm praying this is break in related. Just took the lcd-3s out of the box last night. The pair I heard previously on the bifrost/lyr had 1000s of hours.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #519 of 1,285
How long have you had the amp?  Did you let it play for a few hours to warm up?  

Maybe you like the sound of tubes more?

Also get some XLR (balanced) cables to take full advantage of the M&G stack..

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #520 of 1,285
Oh you aren't listening fully balanced? There's your problem. The unbalanced input is merely for convenience. It is not intended to be the main input.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #521 of 1,285
Differential input could care less what you feed it, you get balanced out of it.  Using the balanced input isn't going to turn it into a laid back bottom heavy amp.  It's an aggressive top tilted amp, you either like that or you don't.  I didn't, and did feed it balanced, so I curbed it in favour of the less aggressive and more bottom tilted Peak.  Soloist is even further down on aggression and more bottom heavy.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #523 of 1,285
Quote:
Differential input could care less what you feed it, you get balanced out of it.  Using the balanced input isn't going to turn it into a laid back bottom heavy amp.  It's an aggressive top tilted amp, you either like that or you don't.  I didn't, and did feed it balanced, so I curbed it in favour of the less aggressive and more bottom tilted Peak.  Soloist is even further down on aggression and more bottom heavy.

See the LCD-2s are out the door.  What headphones are next up?

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #524 of 1,285
Quote:
How long have you had the amp?  Did you let it play for a few hours to warm up?  

Maybe you like the sound of tubes more?

Also get some XLR (balanced) cables to take full advantage of the M&G stack..

Had it since Wednesday. I left it on wednesday night til this morning. Listening was done last night. My pyst balanced cables come tomorrow so I will compare then. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun here with all this disappointment, but it really doesn't sound anywhere near as magical as when I heard it before with lower end stuff. Very disconcerning

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #525 of 1,285
HD800 for now but there is probably an HE-6 in my future.  But not until after I trim the stable some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back