1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jian, Nov 24, 2011.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last
  1. Jian
    I was searching on this topic and didn't find a dedicate thread. So I'm staring one, and let's gather more ideas for the community.

So far, from the reports by several members, the LCD3 sounds very nice paring up with

Tube amp: Leben CS300X (SE), Woo Audio WA22 (balanced)

Solid state amp: from my experience, the Harmony Design EAR909 (balanced)

Hybrid: RWA Audeze Edition (balanced)

Please share your suggestions!

Cheers.

2. Jian
    It seems that the liquid fire is a nice choice for LCD3. Any thought on this combination? Are there any recommendations for amps in the sub 2000 dollar range? Come on guys! Cheers.

3. Maxvla Contributor
    Good matches I've heard

RSA Darkstar
    Eddie current 2a3
    Cavalli Liquid Fire

Likely good matches

Eddie current Balancing Act
    Woo Audio WA22
    RSA B-52

Combos I thought underperfomed
    RWA Audeze edition
    TTVJ Pinnacle

4. Duckman
    The Apex Peak/Volcano is said to match superbly with the 2. I assume it would with the 3 also.

$2100.

5. Jian
    Great information! I need to check the Apex Peak/Volcano up, since my friend is looking for something to go with LCD3 in that price range!

Is the Eddie current 2a3 the successor of ZDT? 

Is there any other SS amp options? I've heard that B22 was not a great match.

6. johnwmclean

Quote:

I’d be very surprised if the Beta22 was a bad match. Solid state design really doesn’t get any better than this.  

7. cAsE sEnSiTiVe
    Unless you require a balanced setup, I have not heard a better headphone experience than what my Vacuum Tube Logic IT-85 gives me. If you need something that would sit on a desktop, it's small enough to do so. Anywhere from $1300-$1500 used. Bullet-proof and backed by a company that's been in the hi-end audio biz for a long time.

8. johnwmclean
    I’d hedge a bet that the Nelson Pass FW amplifiers would be an end of game choice for both the HE-6 and LCD-2/3.

Nice one here on the FS threads too:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/557807/nelson-pass-passdiy-firstwatt-f5-poweramp-class-a-monster-perfect-for-for-k1000-planar-or-orthodynamic-headphones-or-bookshelf-speakers

I would love to hear this combo...

9. wuwhere Contributor

Quote:

I wouldn't bet on that.  :)

10. Jian
    The problem is although B22 is a great design, but different DIYed B22 can sound very differently. I've hear some not very enjoyable B22s. Nelson Pass J2 is a nice one but still not ideal for the HE6s IMO, don't know that one on sale. Need to check the  Logic IT-85. Cheers.

11. MacedonianHero Contributor

Quote:

Listening to my LCD-3s (balanced) on my WA22 right now and I'm very, very happy with what I'm hearing. [​IMG]

I would imagine that a B22 would be a fantastic amp for the LCD-3s too. BTW, there's a Rockhopper B22/Sigma22 on sale for only $975 right now. Somebody, please buy it so I don't have to keep looking at it. [​IMG]

12. wuwhere Contributor
    I'm using a speaker tube amp for my HE-6. To me it has a delicate sound that ss amps don't have. Specially with female vocals. SS amps have darker background which I don't really care for. With my tube amp, I can sense the movement of the singer around the mic.

13. Jian

Quote:

Really? I need to let my friend know!

14. MacedonianHero Contributor

Quote:

Buy it quickly...please! [​IMG]

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581371/rockhopper-b-22-note-new-price-as-of-11-22-11-is-975-firm

15. Jian
    Cheers[​IMG]

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last