Amp needed for RE0 Headphones
Jul 5, 2010 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bolinao

Head-Fier
Can someone please recommend a good amp for under $100,i have a pair of RE0 earphones and they are not very loud.
So an amp is needed.
The device i will be using is a Sangean DPR-34 DAB+ digital radio.
The features i am after are heaps of volume,bass switch and rechargeable battery.
I have tried the Mcoy amp,which i had a few problems with and now have been scared of them and the FIIO E5,i loved the sound of the FIIO's but the volume was not loud enough with the RE0,s.
Any suggestion would be appreciated thanks..

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 14
I haven't tried it, but there are a few post that say the ibasso T3 is a good match for the RE0.
Maybe the T4 too.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm using the RE0 (original ones) with a newly purchased PA2V2 by Electric Avenue. Previously I used the RE0 with a E3. The source is a Cowon S9.

There was a noticeable improvement with both amps. I've had the E3 the longest and I did notice a much fuller sound and deeper bass with the E3.

Since I was noticing those improvements with the E3 I thought a better portable amp would provide even better results. The PA2V2 does provide a better sound than the E3 and while I feel the bass impact is less I feel that it presents the bass more naturally so it depends on whether you want that naturalness. And with both amps as the volume gets cranked up to high but safe listening levels I never heard the sound get distorted. The sound was easily distorted when I cranked up the volume on the Cowon.S9 without the amps.

So for my ears, both are reasonable upgrades. E3 is a good start if you don't want to make a big investment as I think you can see a difference even with the E3.

Overall I prefer the PA2V2 with my RE0 with the S9 even though it makes a bulkier portable setup.

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 14
How loud are you wanting?  I have the RE0 with the E5, and previously the T3.  My Zune30 and my son's Fuze can both push the RE0 way louder than I would ever want to listen.  Maybe you are not getting good seal on your RE0 so that you are having to turn up the volume too much??

Never heard of the Sangean dig radio -- must not put out much signal to the headphone...

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 14
Actually, surprisingly I find the FiiO E5 (with bass boost on) and the RE0s hooked up to my iPhone with a LOD is very, very good!

Much less than your $100 budget.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 14
It would be smarter to invest your $100 in a new source like the Fuze, Clip+ or whatever floats your boat. Most mp3 players feed the RE0 just fine and that way you don't have to lug two devices around just to get a little volume from your RE0. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 14
or a walkman. They easily drive the RE0

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 14
The Rain sound signature is quite different.
more bass, but mid orientated, nice lush mids, highs are bright but can be a little sibilant at time.
soundstage is a bit wider than RE0.
I think of the Rain a quite a fun IEM. To me it sound signature is colored a little and i find it great for listening to tvs or movies when no eq is available.

The RE0 bass extends lower but has nowhere near the quantity of mid bass.
I would think someone into jazz or acoustic would love the sound signature of the Rain., because of its mids.

Putting the RE0s on after the Rains can make the RE0s can sound a little dry, but it doesnt take long to readjust to the the RE0s signature and it fluid mids and non sibilant highs.
I done hundreds of hours on the RE0s now and i really like how the highs smoothed out on it.

I think RE0s are still the best value for money.
I get the ZEROS next week.
I am looking forward to hearing them.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Im getting a LOD for my walkman next week too.
i see you've got a X series, lod and arrow 12he.
i dont think you can get much better than that
L3000.gif

i keeping an eye out for and Arrow 12he.
How do you think it would go with my A828 and a LOD ?

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 14
I think the Arrow is the perfect portable amp. The sound is very transparant and the hardware bassboost is very good and gives the RE0 more body. It has crossfeed and impedance options as well! Also, the Arrow looks like it's made for the X since they both share almost the same size thus making a great looking (&sounding!) combo.

Make sure though, to disable ALL eq and sound enhancement effects in the Walkman when you use the LOD. Try it! :)

And indeed I do believe this is a great sounding portable rig. I think you could do better only by buying a Hifiman 801 or Sflo2 + TTVJ or something. The Hifiman is too expensive for a portable though and the Sflo2 is buggy and lacks overall finish compared to the X1050. My opinion only! :)

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for the tips.
I heard the RE0s with a X1051 and i was impressed.
Oh well, one step at a time.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
or a walkman. They easily drive the RE0

^^ What he said. I have one that drives the re0 well at just 12/30 volume. Also, the walkman (s639, not sure if this is true for the others) is a bit warmer than other daps so I find that it is a good match for the re0. I have amped them with a t3 and couldn't hear much difference in SQ. The t3 definitely can push them to higher volume but as said in posts above, a more powerful dap is a more compact solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back