Amp for Zune 80 and Grado SR225
Jun 7, 2008 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I guess I'd like to amp my headphones since there isn't really much bass at all just out of the Zune, so I was hoping to get some input. I'd prefer to get something I can take with me, so I guess that means a mobile one, since I rarely sit here and listen to music on anything but my speakers.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $200, I know that probably limits my options but I just can't see spending that much right now.

Are there any ones for that price good enough to make a noticeable difference? I tried to search but for some reason I keep getting a server error...

Jun 7, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 3
When i want bass, i put my Zune in Acoustic mode in my EQ settings.
There are many amps out there with a bass boost. Maybe look at the reviews on this forum from Skylab, mrarroyo and voltron, oicdn, and others on here. They list over 36 amps and list features and sound of each.
Maybe send Skylab a message being that he is a basshead and might be able to point you in the right direction as far as adding some clean bass to your rig via another amp etc.
My C&C Box+ has a bass boost, and it works ok.
Im not sure what else is better with a bass boost for under $200 though. Maybe that new GoVibe or something has a bass boost, but im not sure if its under $200 or not.
The Portaphile amps can sometimes be found on here under $200, and have good bass. The maxxed version has low battery life though, but the version before it has good battery life and is still an excellent amp. Ive used both with my Grado SR225 and my Zune 30, and i like the sound. You can use an inline volume attenuator in line with the headphones just after the amp and resist the signal to the headphones a but so you can drive the amp up a bit to make it a bit more punchy.
Its not a crazy difference, but it does make some difference, and every little bit counts and all adds up little by little.
Although the 225 is a great pair of cans, if youre a real basshead, you may want another set of cans for more bass, rather than trying to force bass out of Grados, but thats also up to you. I have a different set of phones for everything,so.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'd like to amp my headphones since there isn't really much bass at all just out of the Zune, so I was hoping to get some input. I'd prefer to get something I can take with me, so I guess that means a mobile one, since I rarely sit here and listen to music on anything but my speakers.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $200, I know that probably limits my options but I just can't see spending that much right now.

Are there any ones for that price good enough to make a noticeable difference? I tried to search but for some reason I keep getting a server error...

You should look here.
smily_headphones1.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-284847/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back