Amp for T70p - Price = 2-400 USD
Sep 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

snurrstuk

New Head-Fier
Hi, have preordered Beyerdynamic T70p from my local audio dealer. It should be arriving next week :D!!
But i need an amp for it. Im totally clueless in this market . The amp should be as small as possible and price around 200 usd, but i can go as high as 400 if the difference in price is really worth it. Its going to be used with ipod classic 160gb and an line out cable. Which im also quit noobish about .Cable = up to 80 usd.

The fiio e11 looks quite good and fiio also make line out cables for ipod. But what else is there, and what is best? In your subjective mind?

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 22
If you can use both a DAC and Amp in try the Total Bithead at headphone.com ( headroom ).  I have one and use it all of the time at work.  What version of the T70p did you order?  There are a few different impedance ratings out there.  If I were you I would make sure you receive some 32 Ohm versions because the 250 Ohms versions have a huge spike at 100 Hz in the impedance vs frequency curve.  It goes up well above 400 Ohms which will not be ideal for portable devices and some portable amps.  The 32 Ohm version should easily be driven by just about any amp out there so the Bithead would be a great option if you want the DAC.  If you do not want the DAC the Total Airhead is just the headphone portion of the Bithead.

Let us know how you like the sound out of those T70p's.  They look like another great phone.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 22
Total airhead looks like a good piece of kit. Will nerd around the web for reviews.

The T70 is the 250ohm model and T70p (p=portabel) is the 32ohm.
The use is strictly on the go, so no need for dac. Unless it exist an device or mod to ipod which lets you take the music out digitally and still use the interface on-the-go?

Any tips on line out cable? Anyone tried the ibasso cbo7 or cb5 ?

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 22
Sep 12, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 22
Unfortunately I cannot speak about the T70p, but I have a DT 1350 which pairs quite well with a TTVJ Slim. I haven't tried many other amps, but the Slim seems to give the Tesla driver an analog-like sound, which in my opinion complements quite well the rather "laser-like" signature of the DT 1350.

I suppose the T70p doesn't have the exact same sound as the DT 1350, but I guess it still retains this "cut through music like a laser" signature of Tesla drivers in general, so it could be a nice pairing as well.

i've also read good things about pairing the DT 1350 with the Headamp Pico and the Mustang. These two may also work well with the T70p.

In general, with an iPod as source and a Tesla Beyer, I'd go for an amp that's quite full bodied, and analog sounding. I'd try to avoid amps that are a little too "solid-statish" if you see what I mean.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 22
I like analog sound. I use tubes to power my stereo. But it also has its drawbacks especially in the bass. Softer and warmer at the cost of dynamics (punch). Its that a problem with the TTVJ Slim? I listen to alot of different kind of music. What i listen to most these days are techno, a little Dnb and dubstep. And a lot of 60s psychedelia rock. So i want warm midle and tops, but i also want the dynamic punch that techno requires...

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 22
The TTVJ is a solid-state amp, so it shouldn't have the usual drawbacks associated with tubes. It actually doesn't sound like a tube amp, more like a very musical and easy on the ears solid state, with a slight romantic coloration. Mike on Headfonia said the TTVJ wasn't as clear in the bass as the Alo RX MkII, but the Alo is one of the very best amps in that regard ever made, and he didn't said that the TTVJ was bad at all.

With the DT 1350, it's a very satisfying experience with minimal techno such as Pantha du prince, Max Cooper, Extrawelt - that sort of thing. I suppose it should be satisfying as well with the T70p (especially given Tyll Hertsen's measurements which show a very good bass extension). If I have a criticism, it's more when it comes to rock - I think the combo lacks a little sense of "bite" and PRAT. Nothing major though.

I prefer to let the discussion to more knowledgeable fellows, I was simply trying to give you some indications about where I think you should start looking.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
I prefer to let the discussion to more knowledgeable fellows, I was simply trying to give you some indications about where I think you should start looking.

Yeah! The TTVJ Slim looks impressive and the reviews I have read about it is overall positive. And if the Tesla series is a bit harsh, sharp, ss-sounding, or as you said "laser-like" I also think a bright sounding ss amp would be a bad combo. Therefore i try to stay clear of Fiio because a friend of mine called it neutral, and neutral for him is often a bit cold for me. I want to be able to listen for hours and hours without fatigue.

The Alo Rx MKII have very positive reviews, but its over my pricerange i think. costing 449usd. What about Alo Rx vs Rx mkII, big improvements? What about the sound? Cold, warm or neutral? Anyone here tried it with Alo Rx with the tesla series?

As for now im leaning against TTVJ Slim...

But i was thinking of buying a gold lod cable from livecables.net   I have a gold solid core rca from the danish dual-connect/DACT between dac and pre in my stereo. And for me, without going into detail; copper = warm. Silver =  a bit cold, gold = warm, but not as much as copper. So if Alo Rx is a bit cold sounding,(im only assuming) maybe a cable tweak can make it less fatiguing....

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 22
I really don't want to influence too much towards the TTVJ Slim. it's a great amp, and it pairs well with the DT 1350, but there may be another better pairing possible that I'm not aware off, so take your time and research well !

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 22
I can understand that. But not many people have tried T70p and to find reviews or userreviews are difficult and t70 with different amps are almost impossible. And besides all of that I live in Norway, and the market for portable amps is very small. Have visited four audio shops here in Oslo and only one had a portable amp, namely fiio sold under the brand Insigna. So either way its gonna be a gamble because I wont be able to listen to it first... Therefor im grateful for your suggestion, subjective or not. At least I get some idea what to look for.

So dont be afraid to recommend, I wont hold you responsible if its not a good match for me. Listening is subjective, measurements are bunk and reviews and tests only give you an idea of what to look for.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 22
I just ordered a Fiio e11 for my new T70p's. I'll let you know how I like it. Hopefully will come today, or if not, Monday.

I first wanted to see IF an amp makes a difference, so, the $70 investment is worth the shot. Then I will research if a more expensive amp will yield me "better" sound.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
I like analog sound. I use tubes to power my stereo. But it also has its drawbacks especially in the bass. Softer and warmer at the cost of dynamics (punch). Its that a problem with the TTVJ Slim? I listen to alot of different kind of music. What i listen to most these days are techno, a little Dnb and dubstep. And a lot of 60s psychedelia rock. So i want warm midle and tops, but i also want the dynamic punch that techno requires...

I have the Slim and love it. It is easy to listen to - meaning it does not have harsh biting edges that can be tiring after a short while. Without the DAC, I think it is about $350. I also got this LOD cable from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L9-3-5mm-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004QVNNI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316810123&sr=8-2

That LOD cable is about $15. I'm sure I'll get flamed here, but don't waste your money on cables whose sonic differences, if any, will not be perceivable with the level of components you have/are considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back