Amp for Sennheiser HD650
Aug 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ThePhoenix924S

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering purchasing a pair of Sennheiser HD650 audiphile headphones for use at home. I plan to be using it in conjunction with my Sony Vaio laptop to listen to my iTunes collection, which contains quite a few lossless albums.  As I have seen here on this forum and many other locations, a headphone amp is highly recommended for use with the HD650s. My question, like many before me, is what would be a good amp to use with them? I'd prefer not to spend a ton of money, but I do understand that one gets what they pay for.

I also understand that a DAC is recommended for use with a computer, so are there any solutions that have a DAC and amp in the same device? I listen predominately to soundtracks and classical music, if that matters. My budget is approximately $600 for both the headphones and whatever I buy. I know there are locations that sell the HD650s for significantly less than the $650 MSRP, and I am currently looking at buying them from Thomann.de, which has them on sale for approximately $320 including shipping to Nebraska (if anyone has any recommandations regarding this website, please tell.)

I know that $300 is somewhat prohibitive, but I am willing to put off buying a DAC and making do with just an amp if that would allow higher quality sound. I've seen good reviews on the Musical Fidelity V-CAN, but I also saw a few posts by members on this forum saying they were overly thick, which makes me rather leery of purchasing thim. I don't know of anywhere in Nebraska to try out different headphones and amplifiers, so I'm going predominantly off of recommendations of the internet.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 25
What do you mean by "overly thick"?

While there are units that are DAC/Amp combos, I don't think they could ever compete with a standalone DAC and a standalone amp, which, of course, will run you more than the combo unit.

The cheapest combo that I can think of is probably a uDAC or uDAC2 + B-stock Schiit Asgard. This setup will run you around $300 to $380.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 25
My DAC/amp @ only $200 is good enough to power the HD 650s just fine and sounds MACH better than the sound in my laptop. . . I'm sure there are good DAC/amps out there at around $300, hopefully someone with more experience can point one out.

I do not think it would be worth getting the 650s if your only going to use the sound on a laptop. . . also if most of your library is lossy it might not be worth spending this much.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 25
Would I use the NuForce uDAC-2 by itself? And I like what I'm seeing on the Schiit Asgard, but I don't see how I'd connect the uDAC-2 to the amp from the pictures I'm seeing, assuming I'm looking at the right product.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 25
You can use the uDAC1/2 by itself, but it's definitely not ideal for the HD650. You can also use the uDAC as a DAC only and output via RCA to the amp.

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 25
Now that I've gone down the dedicated amp and dedicated dac route, I think that getting a DAC/AMP would be a better investment. It gives room for an upgrade later on if you want an amplifier. I've been listening to static from my computer for the past couple months until I got my DAC. However, a point of criticism is that some people have noted that the uDac gives off a U shaped response. Honestly, I like the U shape response, but it might not suit your classical / soundtrack genre that well. 

Oh and +1 on the Schiit Asgard. It sounds amazing with my HD 650's. Get a B-Stock. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 25
What do you mean by a "u-shaped" output? And what is alternative to the uDAC if I would decide that this "u-shaped" output is a bad thing?

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 25
A U-Shaped output is basically an emphasis on highs and lows while covering all the mids. This means a reduced clarity for songs where drums and bass are prominent, especially in heavy metal and most mainstream rap music. Try making a U shape on your equalizer on whatever music player you use to play your music on your computer, you'll see what I mean.  

As for alternatives, I think the Audinst is a great DAC/AMP. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 25
Okay... Is the Audinst good enough to drive the HD650s by itself or would I still want a dedicated amp?

Oh, and is a Toslink connection better than USB in regards to quality? My computer has a Toslink connection, so if that would be a better choice, then what are my options there? I know the Musical Fidelity VDAC has optical, and, even though it's a bit outside my quoted budget, may be what I end up using unless if there is a better alternative that is also cheaper, which I'm guessing is pretty difficult.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 25
The Audinst is good enough to drive the HD 650's, but I don't know your definition of "good," there is always something better. A dedicated amp coupled with the Audinst can potentially sound better. 

Regarding the Toslink, I have no idea, I have never used that component on my computer before. Apologies.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 25
I'd go for the NuForce Icon desktop amp/dac. It also has an optical input. I've been recommended this amp/dac combo for my 650's from the fine folks in the HD650 appreciation thread. It's what I'm going to get when I can think of something else to sell :)

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 25
Is the NuForce $60 better than the Audinst? I saw somewhere that the Beresford 7510 or 7520 is a good DAC, but would it be appropriate in this context? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I get what is best for me and my budget.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
Is the NuForce $60 better than the Audinst? I saw somewhere that the Beresford 7510 or 7520 is a good DAC, but would it be appropriate in this context? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I get what is best for me and my budget.

Not sure man I haven't tried either one. I've heard good things about the NuForce paired with the 650 though.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 25
Okay, sounds good. And I'm guessing the NuForce can always be paired with a dedicated amp for a better listening experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back