Amp for HD25 under 130USD/100EUR
Dec 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 27
I did previously own the HD25 (twice in fact). There was an improvement with an amp, but it was not a HUGE difference as the HD25 are pretty efficient. I did not try a cable upgrade (I am a bit of a cable-skeptic), but people I trust do say that the cable makes a difference.

It is really up to you. Search the archives here and you will find A LOT of info.

Finally, by the nature of HeadFi, I have a feeling you will end up buying both a cable upgrade and an amp :>) .

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass boost with HD25?? You must be a total bass freak.
biggrin.gif
I have to use my HD25 now, since my HE60 will be gone for some time, but the thing has plenty of bass already, that's for sure!

Most of the music I listen to is from before the "bass revolution" of the mid '90's, i.e. 70's and 80's rock. AC/DC, KROKUS, Bowie, Pink Floyd, and such. Newer stuff like Rob Zombie has plenty of bass usually.

As to cables making a difference, I have one set of HD25 phones that I have a ZY cable on. The cable change made me a believer in the sound change occurrance. I also shortened and put a mini-plug on a SENN 650 cable (it works - amazing for a first try
biggrin.gif
) and it sounds about the same as the ZY - but the ZY cable is lighter, hence more portable in my eyes.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys.

If you were to recommend me a nice beginner amp for these headphones in that pricerange, what can you come up with? Ive been looking at the PA2v2 and Caffeine amps already. Would they match?

Thanks.

Add: I listen mostly to electronic music but also some folk/postrock and some rap. Im on the move with my iPod so a small one would be good. Im not looking for more bass neccessarily but just a fuller or wider sound, more detail.

Hi Moriez,
I'm going to suggest you take a look at a very nice portable amp that has had little to no review time yet on HeadFi. It is the Little-Dot MK1. Here is a link to the Little-dot forum where they have specs and pics of all their units:
Viewing a thread - Little Dot MK I
David Z at little-dot sells them on eBay for easy purchase, here is a link to one up there right now: Little Dot MK I Portable Headphone Amp Amplifier - (eBay item 190185656289 end time Dec-31-07 19:55:29 PST)
I'm in the middle of writing an impressionistic review of the MK1 right now and I can tell you it is an outstanding little unit. Absolutely worth consideration!
Hope this helps you some! Good hunting!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #20 of 27
Thanks for your suggestions all. Im looking into them. Meanwhile, I found out that I can raise the bar money wise. The budget will go up quite some to about 300US dollars now that im selling my turntable. For the first time ive been looking at RaySamuels amps and they just look mindblowing. Im a sucker for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 27
Perhaps you can also consider not getting an amp at all. Considering that portability is one of the HD25's main advantages, I've found the sound improvement / portability loss trade-off to be not worth it. I've owned various portable amps in the past. Synergy-wise, for the HD25 I preferred amps that had a warmer treble.

You may also consider upgrading the cable which I think yields considerable improvement in the treble.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #22 of 27
Youre making a very sensible comment there saint.panda. The portability aspect has definitely crossed my mind. My iPod is a 40gb 4th gen color and I find it not very convenient in my pocket in the first place. To add twice the weight and dimensions to it makes me go hmm..

Can I ask you which amps gave nice synergy in your opinion?
And to what cable did you upgrade?

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Youre making a very sensible comment there saint.panda. The portability aspect has definitely crossed my mind. My iPod is a 40gb 4th gen color and I find it not very convenient in my pocket in the first place. To add twice the weight and dimensions to it makes me go hmm..

Can I ask you which amps gave nice synergy in your opinion?
And to what cable did you upgrade?

I liked the SR-71 with the HD 25 but I'm sure there are many more and also cheaper options nowadays, especially if you get an amp where you can roll the opamps yourself and adjust the sound to your liking.

Currently, I use a shortened and re-terminated HD 25-13 cable, which is internally made of copper unlike the HD 25-1's steel cable. Sound-wise, it mainly reduces harshness and makes the soundstage a bit bigger. I like this cable in particular because it fits into the headband just like the original cable. However, if you don't mind having the cable connect to both cups by inverting one of them, there are many cable manufacturers (Headphile, A Pure Sound, etc.) that could build you one. Any HD 650 cable will work on the HD 25 because they use the same connector type. Just make sure, it's flexible and durable enough for portable use.

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently, I use a shortened and re-terminated HD 25-13 cable, which is internally made of copper unlike the HD 25-1's steel cable..

Hi, not to thread crap or sound rude or anything, but every site I view says the HD 25-13 cable is made out of steel just like the normal 25's. Where did you get such information from?
confused.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 27
have you looked at the iBasso D1 ? i use my HD25s with an iRiver feeding the iBasso D1. To my ears, there was a significant improvement amp-ing the HD25s vs listening to them un-amped.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you looked at the iBasso D1 ? i use my HD25s with an iRiver feeding the iBasso D1. To my ears, there was a significant improvement amp-ing the HD25s vs listening to them un-amped.

Definitely a sweet looking amp and sure Id want to get my hands on one. Also good to hear that there is a definite improvement for you. Well guys, after some weeks of research and waking up too early in the morning to immediately start thinking about amps(
biggrin.gif
) Ive decided on the Mini3. To start out with I think its a good choice because people here give it thumbs up, the price and its simple looks. In addition it leaves me some budget for a LOD and/or replacement cable for my HD25s. Im happy and can hopefully give some feedback on my new baby.
Thanks all!

Edit: I would like to add that not getting an amp was no longer an option. My curiosity is way too big now.
Portability an issue? Maybe, will see what happens.

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #27 of 27
I was made aware by a fellow user to update the thread. As the Mini3 and the HD25s are quite popular it might help some of you getting the picture more clear so this one is for you
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all the black Rockhopper Mini3 (gain 5) arrived about 3 weeks after ordering. Communication was kind of minimal from his side and leaves room for improvement imo. That said, he is kind enough to change the gain for free if I need to.

> As for the sound of the amp I had a very hard time at first to find a difference at all. In the first month I considered selling it for that reason. I gave it some more time and suddenly it made sense. Using a LOD the amp makes the sound a bit fuller and more balanced. The harshness and thin sound from the headphone out is gone and the bass is more prominent. Generally a more pleasant sound.

> Batterylife is a bit short, I dont think it lasts 10 hours.
> Gain5 is imo a bit over the top for these headphones as I can only open the pot for a third. Not sure if having gain2 matters. Its more a personal preference that I want to be able to turn that knob wide open.
> A very low hiss coming from the amp which I consider a good thing.

Concluding: If you like a bit of improvement than that is what youre going to get with this amp for these headphones. The price is ok so why not? Like saint.panda I dont use it on-the-go as the portability decrease is really really not worth it. Combined with HD650 cables I feel I have a little bit of improvement times two over the default setup. Imo well worth it but nothing staggering. If Id have to give a percentage for improvement with the amp Id say 15% tops.

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back