Amp for Etymotic ER4P
Jun 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #17 of 31
I like the PA2V2 with the ER-4. I am looking for a Fiio E7 just for the DAC function, so I will give an update when I can compare the two side by side.

EDIT: The ER-4P doesn't hiss at all with the PA2V2

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #18 of 31
Typically sensitive IEMs do not change with amping.  I would think headphone out is sufficient for ER4P.  Also, ER4S is used for reducing the hiss caused by the high gain.  For portable purposes, DAP's headphone out is quite good, and no need for amp.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 31
I suggest 2 amps under $100 for the ER4:  1) SoundMagic A10 (www.mp4nation.net -- takes about 2 weeks to come from Hong Kong); or 2) JDS Labs CMoy. Both have a bass boost which will give the ER4 a bit more fullness and warmth.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 31
If you read on this forum that the etys hiss w/ a Fiio, it's likely from a person that's never used a Fiio w/ ER4. I use an E7 w/ my ER4-S and it sounds excellent. No hiss to be heard. 

Lots of people on this board bash Fiio due to the low prices. It's usually an effort to justify their spending $500 on a portable amp. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 31
I just bought a used Headroom Total Bithead instead of a Fiio E7. I'll post my impressions as soon as it arrives.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 31
If you want more bass with the er-4p, all you can really do is use foam tips. I have used a dark sounding amp (not a portable amp but a desktop amp) and found no real improvement. Perhaps a small soundstage difference, but that's all.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
If you want more bass with the er-4p, all you can really do is use foam tips. I have used a dark sounding amp (not a portable amp but a desktop amp) and found no real improvement. Perhaps a small soundstage difference, but that's all.

You can also use an EQ to increase the bass response. A Sansa Clip with Rockbox can do this pretty well.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #25 of 31
You don't need an amp with the ER4-P's. My rig these days consists of a Cowon i7 and ER-4P barrels with Westone ES cable and Ety P adaptors......

But, if you're truly after a 'jaw dropping' moment, try plugging them into a Xin supermicro iv- just incredible :wink:

(Ian, i received your message mate, just been too busy to reply- be in touch soon bud)

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #27 of 31
I disagree.  People do not complain about it's price, it's their performance that falls short.  I would not recommend any of their amps for high end IEM or headphone setups that are very revealing.  For example, Fiio E5 is cheap for $20, but in reality it doesn't perform any better than headphone out from a DAP.  In that respect, it is a waste of money. I personally do not own a $500 external amp, but I have owned the arrow, and currently own CMOY.  E7's amp is not even comparable to a $60 CMOY.  You can say it could be used for a DAC, but I could get a $50 external laptop sound card(reason for external is computer noise), and it would perform better than a E7.  It's rare to find a Fiio user that has heard many other amps.

Quote:

Lots of people on this board bash Fiio due to the low prices. It's usually an effort to justify their spending $500 on a portable amp. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
...  It's rare to find a Fiio user that has heard many other amps.

I have more than enough portable amps (25 till this morning) and heard a few more There are amps that do just what they are meant to do, and there are amp that do more that. FiiO E7, E11 and iBasso T3 are the formal. They amplify, give voltage or current when needed, but they don't change the signal by much. It is what I refer as the transparent amp, or some would say they are 'wire with gain'. The later, such as SoundMAGIC A10, JDS cmoyBB, Meier Audio Stepdance, Headamp Pico and most of RSA, add their own distinct taste to the overall sound (okay, there are also those they try to be a bit of both). They might be warm, rich, or euphonic. I think most people in the forum tend to prefer the later, because it is "obviously better sounding" - but one must consider if the added flavor is really desirable or not. There is no superiority in flavor, just personal preference and balance in synergy  Using a warm and rich sounding amp with a cold sounding IEM will achieve the same synergy balance as transparent amp with a warm sounding IEM. Assuming amping must result in a 'grander' sound is not always correct - because you might not actually need the amping, but just the flavor. Unfortunately it is not easy to tell apart the two.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #29 of 31
According to my tests, E5 changes the sound in comparison to headphone out or line out.   In addition, you have to ask what you desire from the amping.  The question is what you mean by change in sound.  What I am looking for is quick response, more weight and tightness to bass, better sounding vocals, and better treble control for much clearer resolution.  I'm sure the has to do with the performance of the opamp and the circuit typology.  I would not say that any of the E series are more accurate or transparent as you call it.  I would say, there are changes that the E series create, but not very desireable IMO.  I have a few portables and IEMs that sound a bit better with my destop setup(which is gain switchable).   That's the kind of sound I'm looking for, closer to my desktop setup.  From my experience, Fiio products fails to deliver that.  I have tried higher impedance headphones(HD650) with E9.  Would I recommend it over my tube amps or higher performing SS amps?  I would not.  E9 could help raise the volume, but it doesn't mean, the headphones are being amped to it's potential.   You'll notice on my sig, I like transparent IEMs.  

Quote:
I have more than enough portable amps (25 till this morning) and heard a few more There are amps that do just what they are meant to do, and there are amp that do more that. FiiO E7, E11 and iBasso T3 are the formal. They amplify, give voltage or current when needed, but they don't change the signal by much. It is what I refer as the transparent amp, or some would say they are 'wire with gain'. The later, such as SoundMAGIC A10, JDS cmoyBB, Meier Audio Stepdance, Headamp Pico and most of RSA, add their own distinct taste to the overall sound (okay, there are also those they try to be a bit of both). They might be warm, rich, or euphonic. I think most people in the forum tend to prefer the later, because it is "obviously better sounding" - but one must consider if the added flavor is really desirable or not. There is no superiority in flavor, just personal preference and balance in synergy  Using a warm and rich sounding amp with a cold sounding IEM will achieve the same synergy balance as transparent amp with a warm sounding IEM. Assuming amping must result in a 'grander' sound is not always correct - because you might not actually need the amping, but just the flavor. Unfortunately it is not easy to tell apart the two.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #30 of 31
Well, that will be the synergy issue I have noted previously. FiiO, or any amp for the matter, is not magic cure that will work wonder every times or for everyone.

Quote:
...You'll notice on my sig, I like transparent IEMs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back