Amp for Edition 8's
Jun 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

baloo123

New Head-Fier
I am looking to get an amp for my iPhone and Ultrasone Edition 8's. I just saw V-Moda's new amp and it looks nice but it has terrible battery life. Any suggestions?

My Priority List:
1. Portability (if it's too big I won't carry it and won't use it.. doesn't have to be as small as the V-Moda but not too much bigger)
2. Sound Quality
3. Battery Life (Is more than 8 too much to ask?)

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 19
HP-P1 far better due to the fact that it is a high end dac as well, pulling the digital stream from your iphone and converting it to audio at a higher level then also has the amp built in.  I use it with my ED8 LE all the time, great match.

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 19
Can you notice a difference between dac+amp and just amp? Many people seem to say it's not that important because the iPhone DAC is pretty good anyways. Anyone tried the P-51 Mustang? I heard it pairs well with the edition 8's as well. Would you recommend the others over the mustang?

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 19
Many people are wrong in my opinion then, the difference is as much as the difference between an amp and no amp.  I plug back and forth occasionally and am always impressed.  As far as amps go, i have an RSA Hornet and a headamp pico-normal size not slim. The Pico far out performs the Hornet.  Pico has a blacker background and just plain more dynamic but the Ray Samuels stuff is warmer, just a bit to muddy for me.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 19
So In your opinion as far as sound quality goes HP-P1>Pico>RAS? I've head the Mustang's mid's really compliment the ED8's because that is where the ED8's lack. Also as I understand it the HP-P1's can only be used with an iPod/iPad/iPhone? Do they even have a line in where you could at least utilize the amp?

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 19
I have tried it line out as a dac only to an external amp which works well.  I don't use it without the dac because i have three other portable headphone amps over here.  It can be used as an amp only with the line in but i haven't tried it.  It only works with ipods and ipads, which worried me a little but i have a portable dac for my macbook and a Lisa lll amp for when i am transportable anyway.  Actually i am using my system with the Ed8 and Lisa lll being fed with my home dac as i type.   

If i was to plan on using a notebook or macbook often as well as the ipod then i would go for the pico dac/amp myself.  If you are mainly getting something for an ipod then the Fostex HP-P1.   Be sure you get one with the current firmware, i know Moon audio has that current but not sure who else does.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 19
The Venturecraft GD4 and VAMP also do the same thing pulling audio from IPhone and making converstions to digital in the GD4 or VAMP. THey each does the same thing but size and shapes and stuff is different. Only can you with Venturecraft get different DAC for what you like, too.
Quote:
HP-P1 far better due to the fact that it is a high end dac as well, pulling the digital stream from your iphone and converting it to audio at a higher level then also has the amp built in.  I use it with my ED8 LE all the time, great match.

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
The Venturecraft GD4 and VAMP also do the same thing pulling audio from IPhone and making converstions to digital in the GD4 or VAMP. THey each does the same thing but size and shapes and stuff is different. Only can you with Venturecraft get different DAC for what you like, too.

Cool, i've never heard of that one.  Is that a Japanese company? Japan is way ahead of the U.S. in the headphone world.

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 19
So I may be crazy because almost no one has said this but after hours of reading I've ordered a CLAS iphone DAC and a Predator amp/Dac (to use as a Dac with computer and amp with CLAS and iPhone. Apparently the predator amp is the same as the mustang (according to ray himself) and I've heard his amps pair beautifully with the edition 8's. I'm a bit worried the sound won't be chrisp enough but there is only one way to find out! Order and try! Has anyone got any comments on my purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back