Amp for Edition 8's
Jun 18, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #17 of 19
How long is the cypher labs usb lod cable.?

Does CLAS work by itself or do you need To buy an amp-silly question but just confirming for myself.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #18 of 19
You do need an amp. The signal is either SPDIF (coax) in which case, you will need an external DAC, or a DAC/amp, or a DAC and an amp, OR it is analogue from a 3,5mm jack. That signal is line out, no amping. You will need either an amp or a damn good attenuator. The signal is top notch. Top notch. Again, here is my sort of benchmark review. Audio 'impressions' will be hitting my to-come stack (as in iPod stack) review.

Pairing the CLAS with a National frees up heaps of power and plenty of resolution. Pairing it with a Continental frees up plenty of murky relaxation. Pairing it with a GoVibe Porta Tube+ is a thing of beauty.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
So I may be crazy because almost no one has said this but after hours of reading I've ordered a CLAS iphone DAC and a Predator amp/Dac (to use as a Dac with computer and amp with CLAS and iPhone. Apparently the predator amp is the same as the mustang (according to ray himself) and I've heard his amps pair beautifully with the edition 8's. I'm a bit worried the sound won't be chrisp enough but there is only one way to find out! Order and try! Has anyone got any comments on my purchase?

Sounds great! congratulations, better with a clas dac out to an amp than just an amp.  I did hear some grumblings about ipod battery power with the clas lately but i didn't read too closely in that i already had the Fostex.  For me I wanted the amp included and i already had a pico dac.  Sounds like something you will enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back