Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm?
Aug 12, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #31 of 91
As far as Nuforce's offerings, I think the one to look at for driving 600 ohm Beyers is the HDP; it's in the same price class as the WA3 and includes a good DAC.

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-High-end-Headphone-Preamp-Silver/dp/B00370U0OG/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281589908&sr=1-7

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #32 of 91

"Headphones impedance between 16 ohm to 300 ohm are suitable for use with Icon uDAC"
From the manufacturer's website :frowning2:

Pretty set on the Little Dot DAC_I with a modified Little Dot MkIII unless anyone can convince me otherwise!
I'm pretty clueless as to what this all means, but the person who modified the MkIII explained it here:

"I  have done the 120ohm resistor mod to use 6H30 power tube instead of the stock 6H6PI tubes. The preamp tube has been changed to very rare find Sylvania 5654W (6AK5W) "Black Plate Round Getter" ones that are considered as the best sounding 6AK5 tube according the head-fi Little Dot MK III tube rolling thread.  [size=10pt]The four tubes has been perfectly matched and tested with Oscilloscope to make sure both channel output level are same. I have marked "L" and "R" on both tubes for you to insert them to the right socket. Cosmetically the only defect is there are two small dings on the front panel, see the picture yourself.[/size]

[size=10pt]The original Little Dot MK III also has several design flaws. The two 2W power resistors in the power section are underrated and are known to burn out when running the amp for long time. These same resistors have been changed to 5W in MK IV. I have changed these two resistor to 5W for this MK III amp. The cathode resistors for both preamp tube and power tube are also underrated 1W resistors, I have changed them to high quality Dale 2W metal film resistors.[/size]

[size=10pt]A more serious issue, especially for US models, is the power transformer input voltage is 110V (China's standard AC voltage is 220V, so having 2 x 110V transformer instead of a custom 120V input one is easier for the manufacture). But in US, the standard AC voltage is 120V and most area has a voltage of 125 - 127V AC. In most of the case, vacuum tubes can stand 10% voltage increase without any issue. However, in Little Dot MK III, (also MK IV), the tube filament is using unregulated AC directly from the transformer. So if it is supposed to be 110V -> 6.3V AC conversion from the transformer, if the input AC increases to 125V, the filament voltage will increase to 7.2V. This will drastically decrease the tube's life, and in some case can burn out the power tube. Little Dot has acknowledged this problem to me, and recommend put a small value resistor in series with filament to reduce the voltage. I have modded this MK III amp to have tube filament in safe voltage range[/size][size=10pt]."[/size]

Quote:
right, right... let's stay on target here.

so, OP, if you get the nuforce udac, that's $99. 
an awesome little unit for the money.  done. 
biggrin.gif

now...  how much cash do you have left for the amp? 
popcorn.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #33 of 91

Quote:
"Headphones impedance between 16 ohm to 300 ohm are suitable for use with Icon uDAC"
From the manufacturer's website :frowning2:

Pretty set on the Little Dot DAC_I with a modified Little Dot MkIII unless anyone can convince me otherwise!
I'm pretty clueless as to what this all means, but the person who modified the MkIII explained it here:

I'm really not posting to convince you otherwise nor do I want to start a flame-fest regarding gear here - I honestly am offering this as an opinion based on my experiences and what you've told us. I have owned or own some of the gear talked about here. I've lusted after Woo Audio amps and may still own one someday. I never used it with my DT990 but want to someday when I will probably buy one out of curiosity. You say "I'm pretty clueless as to what this all means" but you quote someone's long explanation about a modded MKIII and how better it may be vs a stock one or something else.

You sound like what I would call an "average" head-fi-er - meaning you're looking for a great (or the best) sound you can get out of the gear you own, and you cruise threads, read opinions from many very experienced audiophiles - and then find yourself wanting to buy other gear to get to that next level. I'm still like that myself. I've been doing this now for a couple of years and have spent a ton of dough - gear has come and gone. I've bought, sold again to buy something else...and the beat goes on. Right now I'm pretty happy with my setup - in 6 months - who knows.

I'm saying that I bet if you buy the LD stuff you mentioned - you'll love it. If you buy a Woo amp with a decent Dac -  I suspect you'll love it too. If you buy an M-Stage amp (that I currently love) - you'll dig that with your Beyers as well. While much of what I've read (i.e - SS amps provide much more current vs OTL/tube amps which provide more voltage which is technically better for high impedance phones) may be true - I think many head-fiers who own mid level gear (and I am one of those people) may be able to tell the difference in a side by side - but I think the differences will be subtle. IMO - It's akin to being in a store - and looking at the $2500 hi-def TV next to the $800 one - there is usually a very clear difference in which one is better - but once you "settle" on the $800 TV and take it home - the quality is just fantastic in your living room and you're happy - and most importantly - you enjoy it.

In summary - my M-Stage drives my Denons (25ohm) up to my Beyers (600ohm) wonderfully. That's to my ears - but it's taught me to maybe try and enjoy what I have and now I do. I'll bet an MKIII (which I previously owned and sold) will sound great to you - don't stress over it - buy it and enjoy. Good luck.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #34 of 91
I use the uDAC with my 250ohm 990s and love the combo.  I get to about 10:00 on the volume and it sounds awesome.  I wouldn't think the 600ohms to be that hard to drive for the uDAC.  Plus the uDAC2 is out!!!

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #36 of 91
Aug 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 91

Quote:
As far as Nuforce's offerings, I think the one to look at for driving 600 ohm Beyers is the HDP; it's in the same price class as the WA3 and includes a good DAC.

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-High-end-Headphone-Preamp-Silver/dp/B00370U0OG/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281589908&sr=1-7

not to simply trounce grokit's recommendation, but i have the HDP and the dt990/600... and it's the most abysmal pairing i've ever heard.
the HDP is a very bright and forward source/amp.
so, it does not match up well with the beyers (or dt880s for that matter).
also, the "power" of the HDP has been greatly overstated by some on the forum.
it only has something like 90 milliwatts at 600 ohms.
the bass is anemic, and the treble will jackhammer your ears.  both symptoms over underpowered cans.

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #42 of 91

I know exactly what you're saying. I love my HD650s and have done quite a bit of listening on my girlfriend's 990s. I tried to compare the two to decide which I like better and I CAN'T do it. I like them both. They're just.. different. VERY different. With the HD650s I feel like the treble range is more pronounced and articulated (vocals, violins, etc). The 990s deliver a sound that is more cohesive where each musical element is at a balanced level. The bass in some songs may be more pronounced, but that's more in the case of music that's intended to have heavy bass. I listened to the "Kid A" album by Radiohead through the 990s last night and it was very surreal. It's more of a soothing/creamy sound than the 650s. I listened to a few tracks on the 650s right after and I think its more of an articulate/analytical sound. I think that the 990s offer a better sound for music intended to create an atmospheric effect while the 650s are better for singer/songwriter (acoustic), classical, jazz. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, in the end my girlfriend is going with the Schiit Valhalla. I recommended this to her because I feel that it will be in high demand and would be quite easy to resell if we didn't like it for any reason. We also went with this because of the 5 year warranty and based upon the great reviews that the Asgard had. Still unsure of what DAC we'll end up getting.

As far as lusting for amps.. For me, it's the Graham Slee Solo simply because I've heard (everywhere) that it's the best with the HD650s. I originally got the DV3322 because it had a separate channel for L and R (I have hearing loss in one ear, so I need to turn up one side louder than the other). If I can figure out how to make the L and R channels vary in volume with the Graham Slee I may end up getting one and trying it out versus the DV3322 and then sell whichever I like the least (or keep both :p).

Quote:

I'm really not posting to convince you otherwise nor do I want to start a flame-fest regarding gear here - I honestly am offering this as an opinion based on my experiences and what you've told us. I have owned or own some of the gear talked about here. I've lusted after Woo Audio amps and may still own one someday. I never used it with my DT990 but want to someday when I will probably buy one out of curiosity. You say "I'm pretty clueless as to what this all means" but you quote someone's long explanation about a modded MKIII and how better it may be vs a stock one or something else.

You sound like what I would call an "average" head-fi-er - meaning you're looking for a great (or the best) sound you can get out of the gear you own, and you cruise threads, read opinions from many very experienced audiophiles - and then find yourself wanting to buy other gear to get to that next level. I'm still like that myself. I've been doing this now for a couple of years and have spent a ton of dough - gear has come and gone. I've bought, sold again to buy something else...and the beat goes on. Right now I'm pretty happy with my setup - in 6 months - who knows.

I'm saying that I bet if you buy the LD stuff you mentioned - you'll love it. If you buy a Woo amp with a decent Dac -  I suspect you'll love it too. If you buy an M-Stage amp (that I currently love) - you'll dig that with your Beyers as well. While much of what I've read (i.e - SS amps provide much more current vs OTL/tube amps which provide more voltage which is technically better for high impedance phones) may be true - I think many head-fiers who own mid level gear (and I am one of those people) may be able to tell the difference in a side by side - but I think the differences will be subtle. IMO - It's akin to being in a store - and looking at the $2500 hi-def TV next to the $800 one - there is usually a very clear difference in which one is better - but once you "settle" on the $800 TV and take it home - the quality is just fantastic in your living room and you're happy - and most importantly - you enjoy it.

In summary - my M-Stage drives my Denons (25ohm) up to my Beyers (600ohm) wonderfully. That's to my ears - but it's taught me to maybe try and enjoy what I have and now I do. I'll bet an MKIII (which I previously owned and sold) will sound great to you - don't stress over it - buy it and enjoy. Good luck.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #43 of 91

Quote:
not to simply trounce grokit's recommendation, but i have the HDP and the dt990/600... and it's the most abysmal pairing i've ever heard.
the HDP is a very bright and forward source/amp.
so, it does not match up well with the beyers (or dt880s for that matter).
also, the "power" of the HDP has been greatly overstated by some on the forum.
it only has something like 90 milliwatts at 600 ohms.
the bass is anemic, and the treble will jackhammer your ears.  both symptoms over underpowered cans.

Okay by me. I need to stop recommending the HDP then, I always have read nothing but positives on the "high-powered" HDP and its "HQ" DAC. I will stop doing that as it's getting me into trouble lately. I've always meant to pick one up for myself but have never been able to justify the need. Would you say that it needs lower-impedance headphones to achieve it's better qualities?

I will start recommending the Valhalla as an amp I have never heard now... it's a safer bet as no one else has heard it either!

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #44 of 91
no prob. grokit.
i didn't mean to come across that harsh.

the HDP is pretty nice, once you find the right cans to mate it with.
i don't want to criticize it too harshly.  but, it isn't neutral to my ears.

the dac is extremely detailed, and quite musical.  but also bright, and fairly aggressive.

so, when i heard it at first, i thought, "boy, i hope this calms down during burn-in."  but, unfortunately, the brightness has only abated somewhat.

when married up to bass heavy cans, or slightly darker cans, it does okay.

these are just my reactions.  and my points of comparison are a few other sources (keces da-151, meier stagedac, ibasso d4, sony sacd, hifiman ef2a, udac, etc.).

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #45 of 91
Hey OP,

I also find the PHENIX G3 to match very well with the DT990/600Ohm. I picked up a second amp and it does sound very good with them.

The amp brings out the mids, tames the treble, and tightens the bass, Really though this amp is bad ass at the price it is at!!

Saying that it tames the treble is an understatement. It smooths it out a lot and it's not longer "sharp" sounding. I think you might like that. Also the mids become very lush on the DT990 and sound very full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back