Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm?
Aug 7, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #16 of 91

[size=medium]
Everyones talking about WA, which is out of the OP budget! Honestly I think the Phenix G3 is a really good amp for the price and is what I use for my Beyers. I would love to get a Darkvoice or the WA but at that point I don't think the extra $$$ is worth the improvement over my Phenix. With that extra money saved I'd rather get a new chefs knife :)
[/size]

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #17 of 91
right, right... let's stay on target here.

so, OP, if you get the nuforce udac, that's $99. 
an awesome little unit for the money.  done. 
biggrin.gif

now...  how much cash do you have left for the amp? 
popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #18 of 91
Maybe a Maverick D1 Amp/Dac with a Bravo V2 amp? New like 250$ max
I'm very happy with that (but I will be ordering a WA3 because of the upgraditis I've been infected with)

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 91
Not to put anyone's gear down.....and not to start a flame war.....and I know the Mav gets a lot of praise here in the Mav thread, but I personally think it's poor device, even despite its modest price.  I had one.  I gave it away for free because I didn't want that thing anymore.  The entry level Woo 3 blows it away in every aspect (despite not having a DAC).  I could go on about why I didn't like it, but this thread is not the place.  I suggest looking for something else other than the Maverick products.

Quote:
Maybe a Maverick D1 Amp

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 91
Well I only use the dac and I really can't complain. I think you're one of the few that don't like it actually...
Everyone's entitled to his opinion but you honestly can not compare the D1 to a WA3, amp wise. Of course the WA3 blows that away

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #21 of 91
That is very true.  I will say this, as a DAC, the Mav wasn't bad.  As a tube buffer, the effect was almost unnoticeable and as a headphone amp the thing was downright unacceptable.  Perhaps I got a lemon.

I think the NuForces are much better than the Maverick.  The OP might consider looking into these, which are in the price range.

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-Icon-Integrated-Desktop-Amplifier/dp/B0016XEVHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281189132&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-Icon-uDAC-2-Silver-Headphone/dp/B003Y5LY1C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281189233&sr=8-4

Quote:
 but you honestly can not compare the D1 to a WA3

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #23 of 91
You beat me to it again man! That's what I was just going to recommend!

Yeah what I love about the 5998 is that it does not roll the treble like other power tubes do.

Quote:
This is getting off topic a bit, but I simply love my Woo 3.  It's simple.  It was three tubes.  Don't need to worry about matching power tubes, especially my favorite one--the 5998.  Great sound.  Tubey, but still has clarity and speed. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #25 of 91
My M-Stage is brilliant with my DT900s. It has great power (even with a gain of 10) and makes these things sing. With a DAC it may be a bit over budget - but man does it sound nice to me.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 91
Solid state is really good with providing current, but the DT990's need more voltage than current. The thing is that most solid states also have a lower output impedance which from what I understand, is not desirable. Tube amps have ample voltage and a higher output impedance which helps mate far better with higher impedance headphones. That's why I recommend tube amps for high impedance headphones.

I can Say my WA3+ powers my DT990's better than my ROC can. Tubes just have far more power output for higher impedance stuff.

Quote:
I was definitely looking at the M-stage. I like its size and have heard great things.
BUT I've also heard that the DT990 benefits more from a tube amp rather than solid state. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

(Also looking really hard at the WA3 right now)

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #28 of 91
Head-fiers David.M and the Wuss would call that statement a "truism."  And Zombie is right--tubes give better voltage for high impedance cans.  I have the Woo 3 and think it is awesome.  I currently have the DT880/250 cans, but some rock just sounds dead through them, so I just ordered the 990/600s based on all the reviews and threads I've read here.  I can post back in a few days with my impressions if you want.

Quote:

BUT I've also heard that the DT990 benefits more from a tube amp rather than solid state. Is there any truth to this?

(Also looking really hard at the WA3 right now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back