Amp for Beats Pro?
Jul 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
*Puts flame suit on*

Hello everyone. I am here today to ask if I can use an amp for my beats pro to make it louder since  out of my phone it is incredibly quiet, as I need to crank it up to full volume just for it to sound comfortable for me and most people. Now I was looking into the inexpensive FIIO E6 and I would like to know if that will increase the volume much more and possible improve the sound quality. 

If that won't work could you please give me any suggestions? Also I heard that the Fiio E6 does have a bass boost option, however I don't want to activate it and when it's not would it change the sound anyways?

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 12
I have an E5, whose looks I vastly prefer over the E6. Using it with an array of impedances under 300 ohms, the little amp did have enough volume with all of them. Although if you want sound quality, I'd look elsewhere. I noticed no differences in sound quality with the Fiio. The bass boost was pretty nice, subtle and added just enough heft for some headphones. But I don't like using EQ, so I never used it. But, if you want merely a volume boost, then the amp should do the job fine.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 12
I'd be curious if something isn't wrong with your phone - the Beats Pro are among the most sensitive/efficient headphones money can buy. :basshead:

Anyways, any of the portable amps that are generally regarded well for IEMs would be a suitable choice for them - they spec out fairly similarly (18 ohms, something like 110 dB/mW). I'm still kind of surprised that you can't burn your face off with them though; they're just so sensitive...

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
I'd be curious if something isn't wrong with your phone - the Beats Pro are among the most sensitive/efficient headphones money can buy.
basshead.gif

Anyways, any of the portable amps that are generally regarded well for IEMs would be a suitable choice for them - they spec out fairly similarly (18 ohms, something like 110 dB/mW). I'm still kind of surprised that you can't burn your face off with them though; they're just so sensitive...

So for full sized headphones would these be ok solely as a volume booster? How much would it increase the volume?

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
So for full sized headphones would these be ok solely as a volume booster? How much would it increase the volume?

Well like obobskivich said, those cans are pretty sensitive and should be loud enough from your phone with no amp. With that in mind, I'd look into why that isn't happening.

Now, since these headphones are so sensitive like obob said, they shouldn't need much to amp them. That said, the E5/E6 should be able to increase the volume to pretty loud levels.

But what I don't understand, and I didn't as soon as I read your thread, is why they aren't getting loud enough from your phone right now. What kind of phone is it anyway? I would think, and I could be wrong, but I would think that the phone would have plenty of power for those cans. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they design the Beats so that pretty much anything can drive them plenty loud enough.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Well like obobskivich said, those cans are pretty sensitive and should be loud enough from your phone with no amp. With that in mind, I'd look into why that isn't happening.

Now, since these headphones are so sensitive like obob said, they shouldn't need much to amp them. That said, the E5/E6 should be able to increase the volume to pretty loud levels.

But what I don't understand, and I didn't as soon as I read your thread, is why they aren't getting loud enough from your phone right now. What kind of phone is it anyway? I would think, and I could be wrong, but I would think that the phone would have plenty of power for those cans. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they design the Beats so that pretty much anything can drive them plenty loud enough.

its a tmobile comet. Horrible nightmare of a phone :)

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 12
If you just want a volume boost, I think the Fiio E6 should do the trick. I've got the E7 as an external amp that I sometimes use, it's pretty good, and I've heard that the E6 has a better amp circuit.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 12
But but but..you can benefit from a Dac such as the E7. From what i know  the SQ of your comet is not very good. A dac/amp should help. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
But but but..you can benefit from a Dac such as the E7. From what i know  the SQ of your comet is not very good. A dac/amp should help. 

Unfortunately, when you run the audio from a portable device (phone, iPod, etc.) the E7 only acts as an amp. It's only when you use the USB input that it acts as a DAC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back