Amp for an Hd600
Feb 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Chrysoberyl

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.I'm planning to get an amp for the Hd600,using as sources an EMU 0404 usb or an xfi xtreme music.I suspect that I'm not going to notice a huge difference,but I want to know for sure,and with my own ears.Thanks for your collaboration.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 23
Guess darkvoice isnt that populair anymore
frown.gif
:>. Voted MKIII.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 23
not that DV isn't popular anymore, but LD have more bang for bucks for entry level amp

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not that DV isn't popular anymore, but LD have more bang for bucks for entry level amp

They do? What's Figaro then O.o

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 23
PPA's and CKKIII are good choices from the DIY realm. I use HD600's driven by a CKKIII, fed by either a Marantz SA8001 or the 0404 USB and absolutely love the amp....the highs are extended but very smooth.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dunno, figaro doesn't get too much attention lately

And at the time of Darkvoice 336i introduction, similarly priced to LD2++, and 336i being much superior, LD2++ still got more attention ...

So ya, I think the OP should widen the range of the amps considered.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 23
LD2++ was not even in the same price category as the DV 336i so the comparison seems a little silly. Now the 336i vs the LD MKIII is a better comparison even though the 336i is a little more costly. Even then, those who have heard both say they are very close competitors.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LD2++ was not even in the same price category as the DV 336i so the comparison seems a little silly. Now the 336i vs the LD MKIII is a better comparison even though the 336i is a little more costly. Even then, those who have heard both say they are very close competitors.

I have reasons to think otherwise. Price difference was within $100, and LD++ suffered from congestion issues.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 23
...and this relates to the MKIII in which way (of course other than just being from the same company that made the old 2++)? I think you'll find the new lineup to be much more developed and refined that the 2, 2+, etc series.

I'm not meaning to downplay the importance of the Darkvoice amps as I've read a lot of great things about them.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have reasons to think otherwise. Price difference was within $100, and LD++ suffered from congestion issues.

It would be better to consider current models. The MKII instead of the LDII++. However, the OP seems to be considering a wider price point, so the MKIII does deserve his attention.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 23
I don't want to spend more than 400$.I have to add that I'm a bit skeptical about the differences in sound quality that I'm supposedly going to experience...maybe my ears are already destroyed by hours of rehearsals and concerts,but for example,I don't find the EMU 0404 better sounding than the xfi,much against the general opinion.Different,yes.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 23
Also,I don't know whether to choose tubes or solid state.I value a good feeling of space and openness the most,then a good treble extension,and last,and maybe least,a powerful bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back