Amp/Dac for Grado PS500
Oct 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

seraphkz

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I've been researching on Head-Fi for the past couple of weeks. I'm looking to invest in a $500ish portable amp/dac combo for my Grado PS500s. 

Music I enjoy listening toJazz

I have my choices down to

1) Alo Pan Am (I heard the amp is amazing, but the DAC portion is so-so)
2) Alo RX mk3 + DACport

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 15
They are very good headphones. I use them to listen to jazz, classic rock and classical music. Also I have doubts about the perfect amp for these headphones.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 15
Grado own RA-1?

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 15
I am watching this with great interest to find out what to recommend. I have PS500's that I love for any genre of music. I am using the Bottlehead Smack amp with a Musical Fidelity MDAC1, and it is truly sublime! Problem is, the amp is discontinued, and the DAC is $750. (I have $900 in the amp due to not having time, skill or patience to assemble it myself.) I bought the DAC for my speaker system, and I am very happy with it. This setup compares favorably with my HE500's and Bottlehead 300B Paramount monoblocks, and it is easy to accept that I can't afford a truly high dollar system. TIA!

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 15
They're 32 ohm headphones and don't need a lot of driving. They're very revealing of poor sources so my suggestion would be to invest more in the DAC than in the amping. I've had the Music Streamer ii and the Bifrost paired with the Schiit Asgard, but my favourite so far is the Fostex HP-P1. The DAC is just phenomenal and the amp is more than adequate for the low-impedance Grado's. It's a truly amazing little device and I've read that it drives high impedance headphones pretty well too.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
They're 32 ohm headphones and don't need a lot of driving. They're very revealing of poor sources so my suggestion would be to invest more in the DAC than in the amping. I've had the Music Streamer ii and the Bifrost paired with the Schiit Asgard, but my favourite so far is the Fostex HP-P1. The DAC is just phenomenal and the amp is more than adequate for the low-impedance Grado's. It's a truly amazing little device and I've read that it drives high impedance headphones pretty well too.

Thanks i found this info very helpful .  Are Fostex bringing a new Portable Amp/dac out in 2013?? and if so is it better than the HP-P!  ?  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back