Amp and DAC for HD800
Oct 31, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #76 of 95
  Hello,

From reading the back and forth exchanges, it seems to me you've already made up your mind while still asking for recommendations. which you proceded to shoot down one by one.

So at the risk of repeating others and still not being heard, here are my experience and recommendations for the HD800/amp pairing:

1.  If you insist on SS amp your best option is to forget about the HD800 and get a pair of more forgiving headphones like the Audeze LCD-2 or the Beyerdynamic T1

2. If you want to stick with the HD800, my strong recommendation is to stay away from solid-state amps. Even the best SS amps still have some harshness--some call it white noise--that the HD800 will reproduce with excrucuating fidelity. I never could listen to the HD800 on any SS amps for very long, the Burson Audio included--by the way, this amp sounds wonderful with the LCD2/3 and the Grado PS1000.  On poor rock recordings, the HD800 sounds positively unpleasant with SS amps.  I think the HD800 is too revealing for its own good so it reproduces everything faithfully, warts and all.

3. The HD800-Red Wine Audio Corvina (balanced tube) combination is purely magical. The balanced output tightens the bass and sharply focuses the midrange.  The treble has lost all its harshness while remaining very detailed. The RWA Corvina is a very good buy at $1500--same amp as the big sister Isabellina--but it doesn't have a DAC.  The balanced Woo WA22 is also a good match with a gorgeous look and a lot more money ($2500).

4.  Because of fastly advancing technology, you'll change yourPC and your DAC more often than you'll change the tubes on you Head Phone Amp.  HPA have tiny amplification (typically less than 5 watts) compared to speaker amps (50-500 watts). So the tubes are not driven very hard. I've had a HPA tube amp for 5 years with still the same tubes and the same wonderful sound. In the same period, I have gone through three DACs. Besides, switching tubes is fun--I am oldfashion, I swapped tubes, I don't roll them.  It's the simplest and least expensive way of changing the sound of your system.

But if you still prefer the convenience of SS HPA--I think your mind is already made up--your best option is to chuck the HD-800 and get an LCD2, or a Beyerdynamic T1 and save a little money in the process.  By the way, the HD800 is also allergic to silver. I still love its near-holographic sound when mated with a balanced tube amp and UP-OCC (Ohno copper) cable.  Magic! 

After this time, what DAC do you recommend now?

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #77 of 95
Hello
Had a look to the Redwine audioweb site
Seems that the Corvina is no longer on sale
Replaced by a BEAUTIFUL one : the Cassabria
On the otherside of the amp world , the Violectric V281 appeals a lot to me

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #78 of 95
Hello

Had a look to the Redwine audioweb site

Seems that the Corvina is no longer on sale

Replaced by a BEAUTIFUL one : the Cassabria

On the otherside of the amp world , the Violectric V281 appeals a lot to me

I think Todd (The Vinyl Junkie) still has a few at $1,000 new. A bargain...

Vinnie (RWA) seems to be moving in another direction (modular and a-la-carte features) so there may be more slaes...I hope.

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #79 of 95
 Hello,

From reading the back and forth exchanges, it seems to me you've already made up your mind while still asking for recommendations. which you proceded to shoot down one by one.

So at the risk of repeating others and still not being heard, here are my experience and recommendations for the HD800/amp pairing:

1.  If you insist on SS amp your best option is to forget about the HD800 and get a pair of more forgiving headphones like the Audeze LCD-2 or the Beyerdynamic T1

2. If you want to stick with the HD800, my strong recommendation is to stay away from solid-state amps. Even the best SS amps still have some harshness--some call it white noise--that the HD800 will reproduce with excrucuating fidelity. I never could listen to the HD800 on any SS amps for very long, the Burson Audio included--by the way, this amp sounds wonderful with the LCD2/3 and the Grado PS1000.  On poor rock recordings, the HD800 sounds positively unpleasant with SS amps.  I think the HD800 is too revealing for its own good so it reproduces everything faithfully, warts and all.

3. The HD800-Red Wine Audio Corvina (balanced tube) combination is purely magical. The balanced output tightens the bass and sharply focuses the midrange.  The treble has lost all its harshness while remaining very detailed. The RWA Corvina is a very good buy at $1500--same amp as the big sister Isabellina--but it doesn't have a DAC.  The balanced Woo WA22 is also a good match with a gorgeous look and a lot more money ($2500).

4.  Because of fastly advancing technology, you'll change yourPC and your DAC more often than you'll change the tubes on you Head Phone Amp.  HPA have tiny amplification (typically less than 5 watts) compared to speaker amps (50-500 watts). So the tubes are not driven very hard. I've had a HPA tube amp for 5 years with still the same tubes and the same wonderful sound. In the same period, I have gone through three DACs. Besides, switching tubes is fun--I am oldfashion, I swapped tubes, I don't roll them.  It's the simplest and least expensive way of changing the sound of your system.

But if you still prefer the convenience of SS HPA--I think your mind is already made up--your best option is to chuck the HD-800 and get an LCD2, or a Beyerdynamic T1 and save a little money in the process.  By the way, the HD800 is also allergic to silver. I still love its near-holographic sound when mated with a balanced tube amp and UP-OCC (Ohno copper) cable.  Magic! 

After this time, what DAC do you recommend now?

Hey

Hey. I can't tell you how appreciative I am of your insight here. This really does help encourage me to grab the COPPER VENOM cable. I will do so.
wink.gif

Now Justin, you seem quite knowledgable and I need a bit of help.

I have an amazing DAC made by ARCAM paired with my 800's, however I am using a Harmon Kardon Avr 130 reciever/Op-Amp and that amp seems to do a magnificent job in powering my HD's eventhough it's a single Operational AMP. My question is to you would I really Benefit in getting a dedicated SS amp like say, the Burson soloist? I don't think I want a warm tube amp, for that may colour the HD's dynamics and hollow them out. If you could give me your insight into this matter I'd be so grateful. My thoughts are that I only need a cable upgrade right now and that's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can get a good OCC cable from many domestic and well-respected vendors for less money and pretty good results. The Cpper Venom is the best one I found but the wait now could be a few months--It comes from England..

But a new amp will make a bigger difference that a new set of cables.

SS amp that mates well with the HD800, however, is actually very hard to find.

With all due respect to the Soloist fans--and there are many of you out there--it is not a good match for the HD800. It has a solid bass impact but emphasizes the sibilance, over-etched details and make the HD800 positively sizzle.

If you insist on a SS amp, an affordable one is the Vioelectric V200. The HD800 does not need a lot of power--as a matter of fact, it may be the most sensitive high-end headphones out there. The sound is very clean, detailed and very dynamic (tremendous bass impact) with just a trace of sibilance remaining. The more expensive Bryston is a good pairing with the HD800 but the midrange lacks a little presence. The best SS amp for the HD800 may be the GS-X Mark 2, if money is no object.

The affordable RWA Corvina is a hybrid so you would not get any of the typical tube shortcomings and the low-power tubes will last almost forever. The midrange is very detailed but also very musical, not the analytical, sterile sound that the HD tends to produce with many SS amps. The Corvina adds just the right amount of bloom to the HD800 taut bass resulting in more impactful sound than you can get with the SS V200 or Bryston--surprise, surprise. The combination HD800/Corvina has a very musical and three-dimensional sound with plenty of details and impact. Plus the Corvina can be operated on battery to yield one of the quietest and cleanest sounds you can imagine.

Just check my profile for questions about specific amps/cables I am familiar with.

I have HD800 and Burson Conductor and it never sounds harsh or sibilant, it sounds very warm, liquid and detailed.
I think the current at your home must be somewhat dirty and produces what you describe.
I listen to this setup many hours a day, and it's very pleasing.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900H

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #80 of 95
Interesting guess about dirty AC but I think you are likely on the wrong track. I heard the sibilance/hardness from the HD800 ONLY with the Burson, but not from the GS-X Mk2, Bakoon HPA-21 or most of my tube/Hybrid amps, all hooked up to the same Power Conditioner and the same DAC so "dirty" AC can be easilyt ruled out.

Each one of us has different sensitivity to high-frequencies. If you do not have any problem with the sound from the Burson/HD800 pairing, then it is the right set up for you.

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #81 of 95
So I think your Soloist had something wrong. I can not stand sibilance or harshness in long term listenings, but it's not the case with my Conductor. Sometimes the same product sounds distinct each other. Perhaps your Soloist was really sibilant and my Conductor not. Or perhaps your source is sibilant and your tube amps are rolled off, and mask the sibilance.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900H

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #82 of 95
Hello Folks
I've read and kept in mind your helpful advice regarding the Solid State and the Valves amps for the HD800
My mind is quite set for the balanced models : The violectric V200 /220 /281 and the Bryston BHA1
Now the new venture is to find the right price , and some good (non exotic ) copper balanced cables for the sennheiser HD800
I will report in due time .. but I should say that the HD800 really thrills with some good recordings
Cheers

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #83 of 95
I have been researching headphones and amps for the last couple of weeks. If you are looking for a solid state you should consider the Schiit Asgard 2 and the Bifrost DAC. That is what I was considering. Another would be the Burson HA-160. The Burson's have different models with  or without a DAC built in. 

I was considing those two above but decided to kick in a bit more money and go with the Woo Audio WA7d tube amp/DAC. I will be getting a solid state amp next year. Probably one of the two above.

I just got my HD650's today but have to wait a few weeks for the amp.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #84 of 95
  I have been researching headphones and amps for the last couple of weeks. If you are looking for a solid state you should consider the Schiit Asgard 2 and the Bifrost DAC. That is what I was considering. Another would be the Burson HA-160. The Burson's have different models with  or without a DAC built in. 

I was considing those two above but decided to kick in a bit more money and go with the Woo Audio WA7d tube amp/DAC. I will be getting a solid state amp next year. Probably one of the two above.

I just got my HD650's today but have to wait a few weeks for the amp.

Hoping to hear your feedback after you've listened to them. Remember to give the WA7 some burn-in time.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #85 of 95
Hi. I'm sure you'll need DAC/amp combined (not in 2 pcs) and one of the best for money is tento portaDAC 1866OCUB (USB, optical, coax, BT, headfonia review http://tinyurl.com/n36hmkv, all other data at European Amazons). I've got its desktop version and satisfied. why desktop - I've bought it before the portable one was issued. the difference is headphone amp but portaDAC's amp covers my hifiman he5 and your hd800 for sure (I've tried to find diffs but  didn't succeed ). the thing is it's multibit (16 in a row instead of 1by1) so its sound is very close to the tube equipment, way better than delta-sigma DACs (almost all of the market). Porta is more practical because of its own accu and size.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #86 of 95
try Tento portaDAC 1866OCUB (USB, optical, coax, BT, review at headfonia-dot-com, find it at the european amazons). i've bought its desktop version before porta was issued then tried to find a difference using my HiFiman He5 and HD800 like yours but didn't succeed. it is multi-bit so sounds way better than delta-sigma DACs (almost all of the market). Porta is more practical because of its own accu and size.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #87 of 95
Hi HD-800 lovers!

I just got mine yesterday and seeking some advices.

Tried it with the amp I have at hand: O2, Garage1217 Polaris and Gustard H10 (V200 clone, supposedly).
DACs: ODAC, AMB Labs Gamma2.

I prefer the signature of the H10, but they feel somehow lifeless due to the lack of bass and the sound thinness.
I'm not a huge fan of the Polaris signature in comparaison, and it has its drawbacks (less details, less controlled...), but they do bring their good deal of punch to the headphones, bass and body, definitely making it more enjoyable, or just enjoyable to start with.

I'm wondering if the DAC could make a difference about it and bring what I'm missing with the H10. If so, any suggestions?

Or maybe a different amp altogether, I read just above the HD-800 loved tubes, but would be limited to a Crack+SB or Schiit budget wise.

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #88 of 95
  Hi HD-800 lovers!

I just got mine yesterday and seeking some advices.

Tried it with the amp I have at hand: O2, Garage1217 Polaris and Gustard H10 (V200 clone, supposedly).
DACs: ODAC, AMB Labs Gamma2.

I prefer the signature of the H10, but they feel somehow lifeless due to the lack of bass and the sound thinness.
I'm not a huge fan of the Polaris signature in comparaison, and it has its drawbacks (less details, less controlled...), but they do bring their good deal of punch to the headphones, bass and body, definitely making it more enjoyable, or just enjoyable to start with.

I'm wondering if the DAC could make a difference about it and bring what I'm missing with the H10. If so, any suggestions?

Or maybe a different amp altogether, I read just above the HD-800 loved tubes, but would be limited to a Crack+SB or Schiit budget wise.

Thanks!

If you want to hear the true potential of hd800 you should save more and get audio-gd master 9, it even bested the other very good tube amps such zana deux and decware csp 2+ (same circuit as csp3)
meaty bass, spacious sound stage and smooth vocal :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #89 of 95
Hi again,
I see the discussion is more about amps than DACs. I know talking about amps is a kind of fashionable mandatory but if you really want to be 100% satisfied by your expensive headphones the first thing is to listen to different sources - I mean DACs. The advisors are talking mostly about delta-sigma DACs not about R-2R (16-bit, for example) but you're using your own ears for your own pleasure, not theirs, so the best way to get all your 800th can do is to use both DAC types for the different genres or records. There are not a lot of R-2R DACs on market, and PortaDAC which I mentioned above, is one of the best solution in price-perf. ratio. Especially if you're going to use a standalone amp, this compensates the relative simplicity of the built-in (compact) amplifier. DAC is similar to its desktop ver., I've used both and changing the source affected more (in my case) to the sound quality than changing amps: it's like changing basic material vs. colour. imho, of course.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #90 of 95
Just something from a newcomer. I bought the HDVD-800 and hated its harsh sound, except maybe for classic music, where I liked its precision. I preferred my diy tube amp. Then I bought a Calyx 24/192 dac with external PSU and magic, the HDVD-800 came to live. No more harshness, but precise sound, so no washing effect like that of my tube amp at all. Sound remained very precise, but also rounded, non fatiguing. Connection is still just rca and stock cable, which will be upgraded soon to a fully balanced setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back