Amp and Dac for ATH M-50 and DT990 Pro 250 Ohm
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kshimmi

New Head-Fier
I am about to buy some DR990 Pro 250Ohm headphones to go with my M50s and AD700s.  I have a budget of around $200 for a portable amp (for my Sansa Clip+) and a USB DAC.  My laptop will only be powering headphones, so a super powerful amp isn't necessary (although if there is a cheap-ish portable amp that powers the DT990 600 Ohm then I might upgrade to that 
wink.gif
).  I was looking at the Fiio E17, but then I realized I might be able to get a separate amp and DAC for cheaper.

Any suggestions?

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I am about to buy some DR990 Pro 250Ohm headphones to go with my M50s and AD700s.  I have a budget of around $200 for a portable amp (for my Sansa Clip+) and a USB DAC.  My laptop will only be powering headphones, so a super powerful amp isn't necessary (although if there is a cheap-ish portable amp that powers the DT990 600 Ohm then I might upgrade to that 
wink.gif
).  I was looking at the Fiio E17, but then I realized I might be able to get a separate amp and DAC for cheaper.

Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC, $52
Fiio E11 head amp. $51

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 7
I am about to buy some DR990 Pro 250Ohm headphones to go with my M50s and AD700s.  I have a budget of around $200 for a portable amp (for my Sansa Clip+) and a USB DAC.  My laptop will only be powering headphones, so a super powerful amp isn't necessary (although if there is a cheap-ish portable amp that powers the DT990 600 Ohm then I might upgrade to that 
wink.gif

Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC, $52
Fiio E11 head amp. $51

I was definitely looking at Fiio amps, but I was also looking at the Electric Avenues PA2V2 for an amp and the ODAC/ HRT MusicStreamer II for a DAC.  How would this stack up to the Hifimediy USB DAC and the E11?

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I was definitely looking at Fiio amps, but I was also looking at the Electric Avenues PA2V2 for an amp and the ODAC/ HRT MusicStreamer II for a DAC.  How would this stack up to the Hifimediy USB DAC and the E11?

I would guess the ODAC and HRT MusicStreamer II are better DACs then the HS DAC (Hifimediy Sabre DAC),
(the HS DAC does use the same receiver chip and DAC chip as the ODAC).
But the HS DAC is only $52.

Fiio E11 verses EA PA2V2, it looks like PA2V2 has a longer battery life (per the designer).
Otherwise I have no idea on the differences between them

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 7
Sooo... after a bit more research I realized the MS II doesn't support headphone out...
frown.gif

In your opinion, would the ODAC be worth the extra money over the HS DAC, or do you think that the difference would be unnoticable?  I generally play FLAC thru foobar2k using WASAPI.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry for the double post, but I assume that the Clip+ outputs analog sound from its headphone jack, and therefore would make a DAC attached to it completely useless, otherwise I will want to get the Fiio E17, just for the sake of having one unit for everything.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Sooo... after a bit more research I realized the MS II doesn't support headphone out...
frown.gif

In your opinion, would the ODAC be worth the extra money over the HS DAC, or do you think that the difference would be unnoticable?  I generally play FLAC thru foobar2k using WASAPI.

"be worth the extra money", I would assume the ODAC would be a noticeable difference over the HS DAC, how noticeable, I have no idea.
Try asking on this ODAC thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/611778/brief-odac-impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back