Amazing Forums: Need some expertise
Aug 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

poneill4

New Head-Fier
First off I want to say that these forums are amazing.  I stumbled across it when I was deciding between the Beats Studio and Beats Pro because I went to their website  http://www.usa-beatsbydre.com/113-beats-pro-high-performance-professional-headphones.html and everything was between 50-70% off for some reason.. idk.  But anyway I chose neither.  I have the people on these forums to thank for that I almost fell for the advertisment conglomerates and l would of probably of ended up disapointed based on what I've read around here.

So I'm back to square one on what type of 'phones I want to get, heres some basics:

1. Price Range: between $150 and $200
  2. I'll be using them exclusivley with my Iphone 4... mostly at home, some at school
  3. Eventually I'd like to get a home amp... not sure if that matters with which type of headphones I get
  4. Would like detachable cords
  5. I listen to mostly underground hip hop
  6. Bass is a must

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this and or help me out.  I know this is my first post so a lot of you will disregard, but I assure you that I'll be around these forums in the future, way to good of a forum for a music lover not to stick around.

- I was eyeballing the V-Moda Crossfades...

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 16
That site is a fake and appears to be out of China, thus the unusual discount.

I'm not sure what 'bass is a must' entails for you,  but the pro700mk2 are definitely bass heavy, well built, and generally fit the other things you asked for.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 16
Yeah that discount seemed way to good to be true, and theres no way I'd pay $400 for those.

But yeah bass heavy is what I was getting at

pro700mk2 - Looked into them real fast those look good, I'll have to read more up on those later, thanks for the advice. 

Do you know off hand if i can get one of those attachments that allow me to answer phone calls with those headphones?

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:

Do you know off hand if i can get one of those attachments that allow me to answer phone calls with those headphones?

Yes, you can. Here's a few just off the top of amazon so that maybe you can figure out what to further search for/get a feel for price.  I wouldn't have a clue about whose offerings are best though.  (all of the designs seem a little bizarre to me, as they appear to leave the mic very far from you face / even neck.) -- Scratch that, the monster one actually does break it into two parts to combat that problem.  The others don't seem to..

1, 2, 3

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm assuming you want a closed headphone because you wouldn't want to leak sound at school.  And if you want to take it places, it needs to be at least semi-portable.  
I'd check out this megathread or this article and see if it helps you at all.  Keep in mind what type of headphone you're interested in, ie around ear (circumaural), on ear (supra-aural), or in ear (IEM).  Also, know whether you're willing to buy used, as headphones that are typically say $300 often run close to $200 in good condition in the for sale forums.  So a headphone technically outside of your budget may actually be within it.  Do looks matter or only quality?  What are you willing to compromise on, the detachable cable option or bass quality (interchange that question with any of your needs.)  Is your budget flexible? (As the Ultrasone Pro 900 is available new for 320-350, used at about 300 and is from the looks of it exactly what you want, albeit at higher price.  Here's a thread on it.  Welcome to head-fi, and remember, the search bar is your friend.  

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks a lot for both of your help.  RIght now i'm pretty much dead set on either the Audio Technica pro700mk2 or the m50's.  I just need to find more information to help me decide which of the two our better.

@radiohead, those two links you gave me were super helpful thanks.

One thing though, does anybody know if those two headphones have detachable cables?  i didnt see that info anywhere... it looks like they do.

Those two headphones seem to have high reviews on quality, and I really like how they look.  And as far as the m50s go $199 is the highest I see it and in that megathread they say street price is $119

Hopefully I'll me rocking out and satisfied very soon 
dt880smile.png

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 16
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head

Big thread on the pro700mk2, with the answer for your question: yes, it has detachable cables

Quote:
Thanks a lot for both of your help.  RIght now i'm pretty much dead set on either the Audio Technica pro700mk2 or the m50's.  I just need to find more information to help me decide which of the two our better.

@radiohead, those two links you gave me were super helpful thanks.

One thing though, does anybody know if those two headphones have detachable cables?  i didnt see that info anywhere... it looks like they do.

Those two headphones seem to have high reviews on quality, and I really like how they look.  And as far as the m50s go $199 is the highest I see it and in that megathread they say street price is $119

Hopefully I'll me rocking out and satisfied very soon 
dt880smile.png

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Ok I'm set on the pro700mk2... so I have a new question:

I'm pretty sure everyone who reads this has more knowledge then I do in basically every aspect of headphones... so my question is what is the best way to go about getting these?... I really don't know much about buying them from people in the sales forum... or if I'd be better off just getting them from audio technica directly

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 16
The pro700mk2 has ridiculous bass quantity.  Between those two the question is:  do you want your headphones to rumble your brain?  I'm really not a big fan of that,  but I also don't steer towards those genres in general.  The pro700s have a detachable cable;  the M50s do not.

I'm shocked no one has come in here to talk up ultrasone yet, especially since you mentioned hip hop and a need for bass.  I haven't heard any of their lineup and hate steering people towards stuff I haven't used,  but you should search the site and see if impressions line up with what you want.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm always down to get my brain rattled haha, I could always dumb down the EQ and should be ok.  The detachable cables are pretty important to me thats why i'm seriously leaning towards the mk2s.  
?
You said that they have ridiculous bass QUANTITY.... what about quality?

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 16
I can only talk about the Pro 900, which is not in OP's price range, but I've read about the HFI 580 and the DJ1 (which have the same SQ according to Ultrasone), and they seem good recommendations, thought they need an amp (and they don't have detachable cord). And there's a review comparing the M50s to the HFI 580, and it says that the even though the 580s have a deeper bass, the M50s have more bass impact.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531691/review-ath-m50-vs-hfi-580-vs-sr-80

And while searching that, I also found this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2

Quote:
The pro700mk2 has ridiculous bass quantity.  Between those two the question is:  do you want your headphones to rumble your brain?  I'm really not a big fan of that,  but I also don't steer towards those genres in general.  The pro700s have a detachable cable;  the M50s do not.

I'm shocked no one has come in here to talk up ultrasone yet, especially since you mentioned hip hop and a need for bass.  I haven't heard any of their lineup and hate steering people towards stuff I haven't used,  but you should search the site and see if impressions line up with what you want.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 16
This is where the line gets iffy for me.  The quality is definitely a step up from your mainstream bass-centric 'phones,  but I did feel like it lingered slightly when listening to a faster track.  It's not the completely inflated boomy bass which you might be used to though,  it does have some control, texture, and of course impact behind it.  I thought they were very competitive for the market slot they filled,  but in honesty I only tried them because I had the opportunity.  I'm not very appreciative of bassy cans.
--
J&R (authorized dealer) currently has them at $130.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 16
as long as the bass isn't overwhelming to were it drowns out everything else, I should be ok.  For the $100-$150 price range and what I'm looking for they seem to be a great deal, I haven't been able to find anything right at $150 that is getting as good reviews... correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what my research has shown.

I've been using my dad's Bose QuietComfort 15's... and I'm pretty satisfied with those, and the mk2s get way better reviews from what I've seen

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

J&R (authorized dealer) currently has them at $130.

**** that is a ridiculous deal... $100 off list price... seems kind of too good to be true, sure that site is legit?.... I mean from what I saw it looked really legit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back